The Walt Longmire Book Series & TV Show Group discussion

Authors & More Books > Other Authors??

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mark (new)

Mark | 34 comments What authors do you all recommend similar to Craig Johnson. I have read all of Tony Hillerman's works.

I have heard of CJ Box -- just curious what others think.

message 2: by Maranda (new)

Maranda Prigmore (anthrochick1931) Are we talking like books related to tv series?

message 3: by Lorelei (new)

Lorelei Hawkins | 30 comments I've read most of the Kathy Reichs "Bones" books.

message 4: by Maranda (new)

Maranda Prigmore (anthrochick1931) I hear that the books based on Rizzoli & Isles tv series is good.

message 5: by Lorelei (new)

Lorelei Hawkins | 30 comments I've also read some of Jim Butcher's Dresden series.

message 6: by Mark (new)

Mark | 34 comments I have not read Anne Hillerman's book. I see she is continuing the story of Lt. Chee and the Legendary Joe Leaphorn. I will definitely give it a try.

I am curious about CJ Box's books. Has anyone read his work?

message 7: by Mark (new)

Mark | 34 comments I like Kathy Reichs and her "Bones" series.

I would recommend Kirk Mitchell. He wrote a few books that concerned the FBI and Native Americans.

message 8: by Lorelei (new)

Lorelei Hawkins | 30 comments Sue wrote: "Love Jim Butcher and his Harry Dresden. Have been mired down in the first CJ Box Joe Pickett for quite a while. I have been told it is the slowest and once I get past it, the rest are much better..."

I love Susan's FOOL'S GOLD series.

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan Stalnaker | 15 comments I have enjoyed all 14 Joe Pickett books by CJ Box. Each book usually picks up within months of the last so the characters develop in depth over time like old friends. Box can write some hair raising scenes and the Wyoming wilderness often becomes a dominating force over both the good and the evil.

Still prefer the writting of Craig Johnson and have read some of his 2 and 3 times!

message 10: by George (new)

George | 17 comments Susan wrote: "I have enjoyed all 14 Joe Pickett books by CJ Box. Each book usually picks up within months of the last so the characters develop in depth over time like old friends. Box can write some hair rais..."

I agree, Susan. Another series to check out is Paul Doiron's "Mike Bowditch Series"

message 11: by George (new)

George | 17 comments I meant to add to the above post that this series is about a Maine game warden - the crimes are different and interesting, and he gets into all sorts of trouble.

message 12: by Marie (new)

Marie | 22 comments Mod
I too have read most of CJ Box. I saw a picture of Craig Johnson and CJ Box sitting on the dias when James Lee Burke won the top award for lifetime achievement in his genre of writing. Both authors said they were in awe of Burke and had used his style to influence theirs. If you have never read Burke's David Robiedeaux series, you are truly missing out, the 20 years long series has been beyond fantastic.

message 13: by Susan (new)

Susan Stalnaker | 15 comments Thanks! I've never read Burke. I just downloaded on my kindle the first book in the David Robiedeaux series. I guess its best to start at the beginning. Looking forward to reading this over the weekend.

message 14: by George (new)

George | 17 comments Another author that does a wonderful job with law enforcement and a nearby reservation is William Kent Krueger. He has a "Cork O'Connor" series set in northern MN that I highly recommend. Great stories and character development.

message 15: by Marie (last edited Aug 12, 2014 03:30PM) (new)

Marie | 22 comments Mod
Hi George! I've tried to read the Cork O'Connor series and it is just to tame and polite for my tastes.
BUT my friend of 31 years lives in MN and she loves them! I think Longmire appeals to everyone because he is flawed, he makes mistakes, his temper goes off and he can apologize. Most of all, he has an acute moral compass that also means, he can step outside the law if he thinks it will have a positive effect.
Change subject. This is a very sad day for all of us with the lose of Robin Williams. Fans of Walt's know he has wrestled with his demons, staying drunk for one year after the loss of his wife. I do not think anyone of us here can hear Robin's name and not think of at least 2 movies we loved him in. I still watch Birdcage when it is on. Let's all take a minute to promise that even thought someone we know can make us laugh, they be could be crying inside and let's reach out when we can. Hugs go a long way. We need to be more vigilant with people we know who have suffered from a great loss or depression.(Haven't we all?)

message 16: by Brenda, Co-Moderator (new)

Brenda (butterflyprincess) | 212 comments Mod
Robin Williams was recently diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease. That must have been so overwhelming and disturbing news he has had. And, in my humble opinion was the last straw for him and his depression. How very sad but easier for me to accept. The following address explains.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/wife-rob...

message 17: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Hamilton | 35 comments agree on the last straw...i think being an only child and so sensitive..all the times he made us laugh only to perhaps go back to his dressing room alone and scream out his pain...to see his close friends like christopher and dana reeve die..when it made no sense...with his marriages falling apart...and the depression that he could not shake and the money problems...and the addictions are a disease...even without the parkinsons...older people commit suicide more than any other cept for just teenagers...and than this parkinsons....nah..i made no judgment on the man...to hear how his one daughter had people attacking her father....and abc had a helicopter circling his house...i mean really ...vultures..and those who are saying he is going to hell surely...this whole debacle...just disheartened..i never watched mork you know......but robin..a great actor and a great soul...and he took all he could...so now he has peace and is with God.......my belief

message 18: by maria1836 (new)

maria1836 (lilbittx) hello, I know it has been two years, but I couldn't help adding in. I love the work of margaret coel... she was also highlighted by Craig Johnson himself in The Highwayman. he mentions her character of Father John O'Malley. drop me line sometime

message 19: by George (new)

George | 17 comments I agree, Maria29. The Margaret Coel Wind River Reservation series is great. I've read them all except for the latest which just came out recently.

message 20: by maria1836 (new)

maria1836 (lilbittx) I recently found them, but am on book 5

message 21: by Theresa (new)

Theresa (theresavelazquezbz) | 1 comments Thank you for the author recommendations. Once I finish reading Margaret Coel's Wind River Reservation series, I will look into some of these.