Great Plains Book Club discussion

Summer Reading List on the Great Plains

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Thomas (last edited May 19, 2018 10:31AM) (new)

Thomas Isern | 120 comments Mod
Working on an upcoming Plains Folk essay for Prairie Public radio. Subject: books for summer reading. On the Great Plains. Texas to Alberta, with some emphasis on the northern plains. Any genre. There will be History. I'm thinking of three kinds of titles to include.

1. Some classics. The list has to include Cather's Antonia, because this year is its centennial.

2. New and notable works. Not to get pompous about this, but I mean books that make a contribution to the Regional Project, help to define who we are as people of the plains. I'm thinking, for instance, of Michael Snyder's biography of John Joseph Mathews.

3. Wild cards, just cool books. About life on the Great Plains.

message 2: by Thomas (new)

Follow this link to my essay, "Summer Reading 2018," recorded for broadcast on Prairie Public radio sometime in the next two weeks.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1R...

This is my seat-of-the-pants list of recommendations for reading on the Great Plains.

message 3: by Glenn (new)

Glenn | 1 comments Finished my first book from the reading list, "Encounters at the Heart of the World: A History of the Mandan People." I enjoyed the book as it had some depth but didn't drag with too many details, it had stories that brought things to life, and it was local and visited sites that I have visited and live near. I can understand why it won a Pulitzer Prize for History.

message 4: by Thomas (new)

Recent notice for the work by David Vail - https://www.instagram.com/p/BjnIp2NAf...

message 5: by Thomas (new)

Von Rothenberger continues to unearth the backstory of Sod and Stubble. - https://m.facebook.com/story.php?stor...

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim When I moved to North Dakota in 2013, I looked for books that were specific to ND history in addition to general Northern Plains topics. I found two good ones. The first is Dust Bowl Diary by Ann Marie Low, a personal account of growing up during the Depression in the area of today's Arrowwood National Wildlife Refuge between Jamestown and Carrington. I visited the area shortly after reading the book, and it was neat to match up some of the local landmarks and visit the surrounding small towns where the author worked and attended social functions. (The remains of the nearby CCC camp often mentioned are still there, in fact.) It remains one of my favorite ND road trips. The other is If This Land Could Talk: Homesteading on the Northern Plains by Judy R. Cook. It tells the story of her grandparents' arrival in the area a little east of Bismarck and their early homesteading activities. As with the former book, I visited the area and enjoyed taking a mental trip back in time to the early days of settlement. Both books give a great account of early settlement life and the daily challenges associated with it.