Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Winter [June 15, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new) - rated it 3 stars

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
June 15, 2018

message 2: by Yanique, Thread Master (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yanique Gillana | 1016 comments Mod
Wow, these buddy reads died huh... well I'm still going mostly because I just want to know how the plot is resolved. I'm going to start this one tomorrow.

Beste | 1163 comments Me too. I'm finishing Rise of Empire and moving to this one. Where is Laura btw??

Delitealex | 403 comments I'm finishing up The warded man then onto this one.

Narilka | 3390 comments I was hoping to read this one since it's all I have left in the series but I have been hijacked by another buddy read. I'll be quite late.

Beste | 1163 comments Cinder's butterflies:)))))

I really feel bad for Winter.

Scarlet hang in there darling.

Delitealex | 403 comments Listening to this on audio

I'm hoping things go better for Winter soon. Levana is still horrible I read Cress so long ago I almost forgot how horrible she was.

message 8: by Yanique, Thread Master (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yanique Gillana | 1016 comments Mod
I forgot to post my final thoughts here. I guess that tells you something about how much impact that story had on me. It had a great premise, but I couldn't get over the dialogue and the unrealistic and inconsistent characters.

The male characters were either flat (Kai) or an over-used trope. The girls (except for Winter who was consistent in her madness, so I liked her fine) were frustrating. Levana also just felt like a villain for the sake of it. Especially after reading Fairest, she seemed even less realistic.

They weren't terrible (except for Scarlet, I really didn't like that book), definitely 3 star reads, but I was expecting something better.

There, enough of my negativity. I hope you ladies enjoyed them more than I did!

Narilka | 3390 comments I started this on Sunday and am having a hard time with it. I think it was the wrong book to follow up an Ilona Andrews novel with.

message 10: by Beste (last edited Jun 28, 2018 01:04AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Beste | 1163 comments Didn't like the ending. I will definitely read Stars above to see what happened before.
I agree @Yanique on flat characters. (view spoiler)

Narilka | 3390 comments I decided to set it aside and try again later this month. It's just not working for me right now though I'm not ready to call it quits just yet. I do want to know how the series ends.

Delitealex | 403 comments Finished I'm happy with the ending and enjoyed all the action and planning that set things in motion. I definitely wasn't a fan of Kai.

Does anyone think the short stories/novellas are worth reading

Beste | 1163 comments Only if you'd like to read the happily ever after bit..

Narilka | 3390 comments I picked this back up and am having a much better time with it now. I'm about 75% through. I like what she's done with the Snow White story a lot. (view spoiler)

Narilka | 3390 comments I finished yesterday. Final rating is 3.5 stars that I rounded down for GoodReads.

I really wish the story had focused on Winter more. She was such a great character and didn't feature enough in her own book. I liked the way the Snow White fairy tale was reimagined quite a lot.

Yanique wrote: "Levana also just felt like a villain for the sake of it. Especially after reading Fairest, she seemed even less realistic...."

I agree. I Meyer missed out on an opportunity with Levana and made her very bland after giving her such a great explanation in Fairest. Seems like she was just there to be hated.

(view spoiler)