Matthew Pearl
This topic is about Matthew Pearl
Featured Authors > Featured Author June 2018 - Matthew Pearl

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1710 comments Mod
Matthew Pearl is our featured author for June 2018

Feel free to make book suggestions in this thread.

Come and tell us which book you picked and once you've read it let us know what you thought of it (is it a new to you author, would you read his work again, etc.)

message 2: by Alice (new)

Alice | 640 comments I read Dante's Club years ago. It was just okay for me. Haven't read anything else by Mr. Pearl since.

message 3: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1206 comments I am planning on reading The Dante Club. It has added bonuses of fulfilling my next Clue task (initial in rope) and being set in Boston, my home. However, I have a few other books to read first - I have been waylaid by library displays and new releases lately.

message 4: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie I'll read The Dante Club. I haven't read it although I had it for ages. I have read two of his other books: The Last Bookaneer and The Last Dickens.

message 5: by Piyumi (new)

Piyumi | 15 comments I've read The Dante Club and really liked it as it was my first Pearl...I'm currently reading another of his, The Poe Shadow as you can see from my account wall.
I'm finding The Poe Shadow a bit dragging thank I found The Dante Club.
Pearl could easily do with some edits on the laborious descriptions and cutting down of some of the scenes, other than that the mystery of Poe is intriguing. Its based on real life events around Poe's final days and the literary furor after his death and Pearl has incorporated that to his own creative narrative well.
The Dante Club was very interesting since it also introduced me to the behind the scenes of publishing Inferno back in the day in Boston.
But not that I am reading another of Pearls, I see the limits. But the mystery is kept within interesting lines.

message 6: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1206 comments I just got The Dante Club from the library today and may be starting it tonight.

message 7: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 67 comments I hope to chime in with The Dante Club later this month, if the post-surgical drugs permit.

message 8: by Lauren (new)

Piyumi wrote: "I've read The Dante Club and really liked it as it was my first Pearl...I'm currently reading another of his, The Poe Shadow as you can see from my account wall.
I'm finding The Poe Shadow a bit d..."

I loved The Dante Club but also felt that The Poe Shadow dragged. The mystery also wasn't as interesting.

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Abigail wrote: "I hope to chime in with The Dante Club later this month, if the post-surgical drugs permit."

Wishing you a very speedy recovery!

message 10: by Piyumi (new)

Piyumi | 15 comments Lauren wrote: "Piyumi wrote: "I've read The Dante Club and really liked it as it was my first Pearl...I'm currently reading another of his, The Poe Shadow as you can see from my account wall.
I'm finding The Poe..."

Quite true, i'm half way on Poe and the mystery isn't as interesting as I first thought :(

message 11: by Piyumi (new)

Piyumi | 15 comments Lauren wrote: "Abigail wrote: "I hope to chime in with The Dante Club later this month, if the post-surgical drugs permit."

Wishing you a very speedy recovery!"

Get well soon Abigail

message 12: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1206 comments Finished The Dante Club. I enjoyed the history, the setting and all the plot twists. However, I felt much of the book seemed repetitive.

It was interesting to learn the controversy over publishing Dante and just how strait laced Harvard was. The Boston police did not come out too well either.

I like to know how well the poets' characterizations matched their actual personalities.

message 13: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 267 comments I've started The Last Dickens and while it was very slow-starting, it's starting to pick up a bit now. Had to force myself to put it down tonight.

message 14: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1206 comments I forgot to mention that The Dante Club inspired me to add Oliver Wendell Holmes' Autocrat of the Breakfast Table to my ever increasing kindle collection of unread books. Hope to at least sample it someday.

message 15: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 67 comments Belated appreciation to all those who sent me good wishes! I am recovering and starting to catch up on e-mail, so I just got to this thread.

message 16: by Cheryl A (new)

Cheryl A | 130 comments I tried The Dante Club years ago, when it first came out. Couldn't really get into it and I got a little squeamish on parts (I think that was why I didn't finish it). I did go on to read The Last Dickens which I really enjoyed. Agree that The Poe Shadow seemed to drag on a bit.

My favorite has been The Technologists. Well paced and interesting characters. We also did The Last Bookaneer in my IRL book club.

Looking back over this, I probably should go back and try The Dante Club again, since it's the only one bar the newest that I haven't read!!

message 17: by Lauren (new)

Cheryl A wrote: ". Couldn't really get into it and I got a little squeamish on parts (I think that was why I didn't finish it). I did go on to re..."

Yes, one does need a cast iron stomach for many of the descriptions. I'm definitely in the "if it bleeds, it leads" category myself. Lol!