The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Summer Challenge 2018 > 10.1 - Summer Blockbusters

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 5366 comments Mod
10.1 - Summer Blockbusters
Read a book related in some way to one of the 15 summer movies on this list: In a Year Full of Blockbusters, Summer 2018 Will Be Especially Huge
Required: Explain the connection between the movie and the book when you post.

Examples:
Movie: OCEAN'S 8
Book: 44 Cranberry Point
Connection: there's a number in the title of the movie and the title of the book

Movie: MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE – FALLOUT
Book: The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe
Connection: author's first name matches Tom Cruise (actor in the movie)

message 2: by SRC Moderator (last edited May 22, 2018 03:47PM) (new)

These connections work:

sci-fi movie + sci-fi book = matching genres
Ocean's 8 + beach on cover = word in title shown on cover of book
all female cast + a title that could only apply to females
movie sequel (#2) + second book in a series
eighth movie in franchise + 8th book in series
3 word film title + 3 word book title

message 3: by SRC Moderator (last edited May 22, 2018 03:50PM) (new)

These connections WILL NOT work:

Only connection is that both movie and book were released in 2018

message 4: by SRC Moderator (last edited May 22, 2018 03:53PM) (new)

Other helpful notes:

All the movie titles have cardinal numbers in numerical form -- book titles should also have cardinal numbers in numerical form

One movie title has an ordinal number written out -- book titles with ordinal numbers written out will work (first, second, etc). Titles with ordinal numbers in numerical form (1st, 2nd, etc) WILL NOT work.

Several titles have subtitles (Avengers: Infinity War is one). A book with a subtitle would work as a connection.

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7922 comments so something like Ocean's 8 and a book with a beach on the cover (beach being a trip to the ocean)? or does the connection need to be in the title?

message 6: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 1440 comments The Female of the Species with the female line-up of Oceans 8 work?

message 7: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11025 comments Dee wrote: "so something like Ocean's 8 and a book with a beach on the cover (beach being a trip to the ocean)? or does the connection need to be in the title?"

A beach on the cover would work for Ocean's 8. Just make sure you explain the connection when you post.

message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7922 comments thanks Kristina - i just wanted to make sure i wasn't stretching (too much)

message 9: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11025 comments Deborah wrote: "The Female of the Species with the female line-up of Oceans 8 work?"

Yes that works. Explain the connection when you post.

message 10: by Anja (new)

Anja Vuković | 369 comments Would a second book in a series work for a movie Deadpool 2?

message 11: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11025 comments Anja wrote: "Would a second book in a series work for a movie Deadpool 2?"

Yes, it would.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah1987) | 66 comments Would A Dogs Purpose work with Crazy Rich Asians since it's a 3 word book and 3 word film?

message 13: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11025 comments Sarah wrote: "Would A Dogs Purpose work with Crazy Rich Asians since it's a 3 word book and 3 word film?"

Yes, matching three word titles works.

message 14: by Kim (new)

Kim | 694 comments Would Brunelleschi's Dome: How a Renaissance Genius Reinvented Architecture work with Ocean's 8 -- two-word title with the first word a possessive?

Thanks.

message 15: by Kristina Simon (last edited May 21, 2018 06:41AM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11025 comments Kim wrote: "Would Brunelleschi's Dome: How a Renaissance Genius Reinvented Architecture work with Ocean's 8 -- two-word title with the first word a possessive?

Thanks."

Yes, that works. Make sure you explain the connection when you post.

message 16: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 915 comments Would a genre match work? Science fiction movie and science fiction book!!

message 17: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11025 comments Cindy wrote: "Would a genre match work? Science fiction movie and science fiction book!!"

As long as you explain the connection when you post, yes.

message 18: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments Could you simply say related because published in 2018

message 19: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments I have a book called Thirteen could that be related to Oceans's 8 by number even though one is written and other numerical

message 20: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11025 comments Marie (UK) wrote: "Could you simply say related because published in 2018"

No, sorry. This task is pretty wide open as it is. I'm sure you can find a connection that has to do with title, genre, author, etc.

message 21: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11025 comments Marie (UK) wrote: "I have a book called Thirteen could that be related to Oceans's 8 by number even though one is written and other numerical"

Nope, sorry. All the movie titles have the numbers in numerical form with the exception of Eighth Grade. For that one, you could use a book that has an ordinal number written out in it.

message 22: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments Would Winter by Ali Smith One word titles OR Author first name initial same as title First initial

message 23: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11025 comments Marie (UK) wrote: "Would Winter by Ali Smith One word titles OR Author first name initial same as title First initial"

Yes, either of those would work. Just make sure you connect the book to a specific movie when you post. Ex: The movie Heredity has a one word title, Winter is a one word title. OR The movie Avengers starts with an A, the author's first name starts with an A.

message 24: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments Kristina Simon wrote: "Marie (UK) wrote: "Would Winter by Ali Smith One word titles OR Author first name initial same as title First initial"

Yes, either of those would work. Just make sur..."

thanks

message 25: by Trish (last edited May 30, 2018 04:15AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2702 comments So as another option for Ocean's 8 - could "written by a female author" work against "all-female cast"? Or is that too general?

Or another option. Could I use Heroine Complex (Evie Tanaka is the put-upon personal assistant to Aveda Jupiter, her childhood best friend and San Francisco's most beloved superheroine) with a superhero connection to any/all of Deadpool/Infinity War/Ant-Man and Wasp?

message 26: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11025 comments Trish wrote: "So as another option for Ocean's 8 - could "written by a female author" work against "all-female cast"? Or is that too general?

Or another option. Could I use Heroine Complex (Evie..."

To match "written by a female author" you'd need a film with a female screenwriter (a movie written by a female author).

Your other option--the superhero connection--is completely legit. That definitely works. Looks like a good book, too!

message 27: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2702 comments Kristina Simon wrote: "Trish wrote: "So as another option for Ocean's 8 - could "written by a female author" work against "all-female cast"? Or is that too general?

Or another option. Could I use [book:Heroine Complex|2..."

Cheers.

message 28: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3979 comments I assume I could read Crazy Rich Asians and match it to the movie Crazy Rich Asians ...

message 29: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11025 comments Book Concierge wrote: "I assume I could read Crazy Rich Asians and match it to the movie Crazy Rich Asians ..."

Definitely.

message 30: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (igem36) | 221 comments Book Concierge wrote: "I assume I could read Crazy Rich Asians and match it to the movie Crazy Rich Asians ..."

That's the question I had as well!

FWIW, I read the book Sorry To Bother You and, although I gave it two stars, I thought the beginning chapters were fun.

message 31: by Ed (new)

Ed Lehman | 717 comments Would this work? The film Replicas has a one-word title with 8 letters as does Crossing by Jan Yoors.

message 32: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11025 comments Ed wrote: "Would this work? The film Replicas has a one-word title with 8 letters as does Crossing by Jan Yoors."

Yes, that works.

message 33: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah1987) | 66 comments I know I asked before if a 3 letter book would work to go with Crazy Rich Asians but would The Marriage Lie work since The is an article?

message 34: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11025 comments Sarah wrote: "I know I asked before if a 3 letter book would work to go with Crazy Rich Asians but would The Marriage Lie work since The is an article?"

Still a word. ;-) So, yes, a three word title will work (even if one of those words is an article).

message 35: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3691 comments SRC Moderator wrote: "Other helpful notes:

All the movie titles have cardinal numbers in numerical form -- book titles should also have cardinal numbers in numerical form

One movie title has an ordinal number written ..."

So, Can I use this book, Sixty Degrees North Around the World in Search of Home by Malachy Tallack for the number connection to Ocean's *? 60 is on the cover, but the title says Sixty?
Thanks,
Andy

message 36: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11025 comments Andy wrote: "SRC Moderator wrote: "Other helpful notes:

One movie title has an o..."

You can, but when you explain the connection make sure you connect the book’s COVER to the tile of the movie not the book's title.

message 37: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3691 comments Kristina Simon wrote: "Andy wrote: "SRC Moderator wrote: "Other helpful notes:

One movie t..."

Thanks, I will do that.
Andy

message 38: by Julia (new)

Julia (julia103) | 1989 comments Oceans 8 has two screenwriters: Gary Ross (male) and Olivia Milch (female).
Could I use a book that has two authors - one male and one female (such as Fledgling by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller or Treecat Wars by David Weber and Jane Lindskold)?

message 39: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11025 comments Julia wrote: "Oceans 8 has two screenwriters: Gary Ross (male) and Olivia Milch (female).
Could I use a book that has two authors - one male and one female (such as Fledgling by [author:Sharon Le..."

Yes, that works.

message 40: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11025 comments Wayne wrote: "Could I match Ant Man and the Wasp with Flex Mentallo, Man of Muscle Mystery and have the connection be Unconventional Superheros?"

Yes, that connection works.