Play Book Tag discussion

The Breakdown
This topic is about The Breakdown
Archive: Other Books > The Breakdown by B.A. Paris - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ellen | 2403 comments Nearly midnight. Pouring rain. Cass cannot wait to get home to her husband and despite his warning not to take the shortcut through the woods Cass steers her car into the dark lane. She is surprised to see a car pulled over to the side and catches a glimpse of a blonde woman peering through the window. Cass decides not to stop but to call someone when she gets home to go help the woman. She forgets. Cass has been forgetting so many things lately and the fear that she is becoming like her mother, who suffered from early onset dementia, is nearly overwhelming. The next day Cass learns from her husband Matthew that the blonde woman was murdered in her car. Fearing Matthew's anger, Cass does not tell him that she took the shortcut and passed by the murder scene but her guilt is tormenting her.

The phone calls begin soon after the murder. Over and over again Cass' phone rings and no one says anything but Cass can feel a presence on the line. Her memory problems become worse by the day and she is nearly unable to function. She feels her sanity slowly slipping away. Did the murderer see her in the lane that night? Is he targeting her as his next victim?

The premise of this book sounded excellent as I do love a good thriller. I feel that a good two-thirds of the book were the same things over and over again; Cass running from the house, Cass forgetting something, Cass' paranoia building to a peak. I did figure out most of the mystery fairly early in the book so that may have spoiled the suspense somewhat. The ending was satisfying. Not bad.

Meli (melihooker) | 3742 comments I found B.A. Paris' Behind Closed Doors underwhelming, and at times redundant, as you described this book. Two-thirds of the book I was powering through and finally in the home stretch I got really into it so ended the book feeling satisfied.

Despite being kinda annoyed with most of Behind Closed Doors, I got excited when I saw The Breakdown on shelves.

I will probably check this out.
Her books seemed to be quick burns.

Ellen | 2403 comments Meli wrote: "I found B.A. Paris' Behind Closed Doors underwhelming, and at times redundant, as you described this book. Two-thirds of the book I was powering through and finally in the home stretch I got really..."
I hope you enjoy this one, Meli.

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I figured out the “who did it” about 25% in, found it very predictable

message 5: by Joi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3874 comments Ladyslott wrote: "I figured out the “who did it” about 25% in, found it very predictable"

Same. Especially if you've read any other of Paris' books.

Ladyslott | 1880 comments She has a new book out:

Bring Me Back

I'll wait and see some reviews first, since I rated both her other books 3✮✮✮

message 7: by Joi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3874 comments Ladyslott wrote: "She has a new book out:

Bring Me Back

I'll wait and see some reviews first, since I rated both her other books 3✮✮✮"

I have this on my TBR. If (view spoiler) I might quit BA Paris for good, lol.