Play Book Tag discussion

Working Stiff: Two Years, 262 Bodies, and the Making of a Medical Examiner
This topic is about Working Stiff
Archive: Other Books > Working Stiff by Judy Melinek - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ellen | 2327 comments Judy Melinek always knew she wanted to be a doctor. She followed her father's footsteps into the field of surgery but with a husband and toddler at home she quickly realized that she could not continue the backbreaking marathon shifts required. Instead, Judy decided to become a medical examiner and began training as a NYC forensic pathologist. In this informative book, Judy details the job and many of the cases she investigated. It is not always a pleasant read, but it is fascinating and certainly nothing at all like we see on television.

September 11, 2001. Judy and her fellow doctors were the ones who received the remains from the twin towers. This is a heartbreaking section of the book and I can't imagine how intense this situation must have been for all those involved. Everything was treated with respect and dignity throughout.

I enjoyed this inside look at a profession that I would never be able to do. However, I can't get one little tidbit out of my mind. Dying at home alone with a dog - the dog will sit by your side and mourn. A cat - you're body is a buffet. Hmmm. I do love my kitties but I give them the side-eye now.

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments This does sound interesting! When I was younger I really liked the Patricia Cornwell books that feature a medical examiner. I was intrigued by the profession but quickly realized it wasn't for me given that I am a little squeamish! lol

This looks like it may be a more realistic look at a career that is often romanticized in other books and shows!

message 3: by Josephine (new) - added it

Josephine Mallory | 14 comments I recently found this book at a used book store. I can't wait to read it!