Victorians! discussion

Uncle Silas
This topic is about Uncle Silas
Archived Group Reads 2018 > Uncle Silas: Week 3: Chapters 27-40

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Renee, Moderator (last edited May 19, 2018 03:59AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Renee M | 1995 comments Mod
Uncle Silas : Ch 27-40
(For those using alternate copies, we are now in Volume 2)

1) What do we learn about Uncle Silas from Aunt Monica?
2) What concerns do Lady Monica and Dr. Byerly have concerning Maude’s guardianship?
3) Maude has made something of an idol of the unseen Uncle Silas. What are the reasons for this?
4) What experiences do the girls have on the way to Bartram-Haugh?
5) What were your initial thoughts about B-H and it’s inhabitants?
6) What are your thoughts on Dickon, “Beauty,” and the business with the gate?
7) Who do you think has arrived in the night and why is it a secret?
8) What impressions do you have of Maud’s situation from the visits of Dr. Byerly and Lady Monica to Bartram-Haugh?
9) Who arrives in Chapter 40? Does the relationship surprise you? How does this revelation inform us about previous events?

message 2: by Renee, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I am increasingly struck by Maud’s isolation. She is completely dependent on her guardian, Unle Silas. Surrounded by servants who seem fairly suspect and/or those who are afraid of her uncle. Visits from Byerly and Monica only seem to underscore that isolation. Especially the business with the address!

Also, I was very surprised by the arrival of Dudley. I did not suspect that connection! Now I’m sure that their plan was to abduct her into a forced marriage to acquire her fortune. And Silas insisting that his son is so very honest was completely outrageous!

message 3: by Renee, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Isn’t it interesting that the flattering portrait of the younger Uncle Silas seemed so mysterious and romantic... While the real-life, supposedly handsome Dudley is so repugnant.

Laurene | 158 comments Renee wrote: "Isn’t it interesting that the flattering portrait of the younger Uncle Silas seemed so mysterious and romantic... While the real-life, supposedly handsome Dudley is so repugnant."

Could not stand Dudley as soon as he appeared in Uncle Silas!

Laurene | 158 comments I am guilty of reading ahead -- simply because Uncle Silas has turned into a page turner -- really wanted to discuss your questions Renee but afraid to give, (unintentionally), information away.

message 6: by Renee, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I hear you! The novels that have sensational elements are especially hard for discussions, because we all get caught up in the story. But they are so much fun to read!

One of the perks of being Discussion Leader is that you have to make yourself stay just a tiny bit ahead of the group. I won’t start reading the next section until mid-week, taking notes as I go. (Okay, maybe it’s a dubious perk. But it makes me savor the suspense.)

Rosemarie | 217 comments I have finished all the chapters in this section yet, but I am enjoying Milly, Maud's cousin. Smoothing Milly's very rough edges gives Maud something to do.
The "fits"of Uncle Silas are disturbing, because maybe he does things under their influence.
The miller is certainly a creepy neighbour with a bad attitude towards Maud and Milly.
And there are a lot of mysterious comings and goings, as always.

Rosemarie | 217 comments Gosh, Dudley has the makings of a real nasty, and he knows the horrible Madame.
I think that Maud's peaceful days at Uncle Silas's will be over as long as Dudley is there.
I really wish she had told the truth to Monica and Doctor Bryerly. I don' think much of her common sense. At 17 or 18 she should face up to the situation, think for herself and not be in denial about affairs at Bartam.
Where has all the money for her upkeep gone?

message 9: by Renee, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

That’s a good question about the money. I was wondering about that, too. And I really like Milly... but I don’t like the way Silas speaks to (and about) her. Any more than I’m comfortable with his complete assurance that Dudley is honest. Is he completely clueless about his children or is there a deeper reason he prefers one over the other?

message 10: by Renee, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Unfortunately for the flow of our discourse, I might not be able to post the next section until Monday night. Fortunately for me, I will be spending the weekend with family.

I’ll look forward to catching up with you soon.

Rosemarie | 217 comments Have a good weekend! 🌞

Laurene | 158 comments Renée — Have a wonderful weekend!

message 13: by Nina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nina Clare | 135 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I have finished all the chapters in this section yet, but I am enjoying Milly, Maud's cousin. Smoothing Milly's very rough edges gives Maud something to do.
The "fits"of Uncle Silas are disturbing,..."

Yes - I wonder what those fits are about? Very strange.

message 14: by Nina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nina Clare | 135 comments Renee wrote: "I am increasingly struck by Maud’s isolation. She is completely dependent on her guardian, Unle Silas. Surrounded by servants who seem fairly suspect and/or those who are afraid of her uncle. Visit..."

I agree. Dr Bryerley's insistence on her carving his address secretly into her chest heightens the sense of potential peril that her isolation puts her in.

message 15: by Nina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nina Clare | 135 comments At first I was relieved that Uncle Silas seems too much of an invalid to be any threat to Maud. Why would he want her dead to gain her inheritance, as Dr B and Aunt M seem to fear, when her wealth would do him no good at this late stage of life? But all that changes with the appearance of Dreadful Dudley! Uncle Silas might not want her money, but Dudley certainly would!

So many new mysteries: who is the secret visitor? Why does the housekeeper lie about him/her? Why can't Maud and Millie go through the gate in the grounds? Why does Dudley blatantly lie about seeing Maud previously? ... the intrigue continues!

message 16: by Renee, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I think there’s a lot of lying going on. Dudley is overtly icky, but I don’t trust Silas one bit!

Rosemarie | 217 comments I agree, Renee. Dudley is a horrible person and Silas is untrustworthy and strange.