The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

71 views
TASK HELP: Summer Challenge 2018 > 15.8 - The Great American Read

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited May 22, 2018 08:42AM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 5361 comments Mod
15.8 - The Great American Read
PBS is sponsoring a series this summer – The Great American Read – focusing on America’s 100 best-loved novels, as chosen in a national survey. Read a book from this list: The Great American Read


message 2: by SRC Moderator (last edited May 22, 2018 08:47AM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 5361 comments Mod
Please note that there is also a GoodReads listopia for this - The Great American Read.

As Cat pointed out, people keep adding books to this list, even though they are not on the official list of 100 books - right now, for instance, there are 105 books on the list! While you can start with this list if it's easier for you, you should cross-check against the official list before claiming a book for this task - only books on the official list will be accepted for the task..


message 3: by SRC Moderator (last edited Jun 01, 2018 01:52PM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 5361 comments Mod
If the list explicitly states (series), you may read any book from that series. This does not apply to any book that happens to be in a series - only to those specifically noted on the list.


message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 5361 comments Mod
This thread is now open!


message 5: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2570 comments re the Great American Read list: I think it's going to be a moveable feast for a bit, as people seem to keep adding books to it (why can't readers read the rules & obey???!) - is it worth adding a health warning that just because a book is on the list now, that doesn't mean it will be allowed (e.g. Harry Potter currently has a number of spots, but I think should only have one?) / link to the PBS site for formal double-checking?


message 6: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16711 comments Mod
Cat wrote: "re the Great American Read list: I think it's going to be a moveable feast for a bit, as people seem to keep adding books to it (why can't readers read the rules & obey???!) - is it worth adding a ..."

good idea - the list says that books added will be removed, but I don't know how quickly the GR folks will address this.


message 7: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments Please can i have The Count of Monte Cristo approved for this - if the list is a moveable feast i would like to be sure before read over 1300 pages


message 8: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments Its Ok I have read the first post properly now and my book is on the official list so I am fine


message 9: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2570 comments Marie, if the Count is on the PBS list (in post 1)you'll be fine!


message 10: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16711 comments Mod
Cat wrote: "Marie, if the Count is on the PBS list (in post 1)you'll be fine!"

Exactly!


message 11: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments Sandy wrote: "Cat wrote: "Marie, if the Count is on the PBS list (in post 1)you'll be fine!"

Exactly!"


thanks both i hadn't read it properly on my first post and realised that later


message 12: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3976 comments Just a suggestion ... delete the link to the Listopia list (in post # 2)
I think it's confusing to have links to two different lists, one of which is valid, while the other one may not be.


message 13: by Rina (new)

Rina | 564 comments Some of the entries in the PBS List are series, e.g. Alex Cross or The Wheel of Time. Would any of the books from these series work or does it have to be the first book of the series?


message 14: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16711 comments Mod
Rina wrote: "Some of the entries in the PBS List are series, e.g. Alex Cross or The Wheel of Time. Would any of the books from these series work or does it have to be the first book of the series?"

If the PBS listing is for a series, you can read any book from that series. If it's for an individual book, you must read the specific book.


message 15: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3976 comments Sandy wrote: "If the PBS listing is for a series, you can read any book from that series. If it's for an individual book, you must read the specific book. ..."

I assume you mean that that listing must actually state (series) for this to apply?
For example The Clan of the Cave Bear is # 1 in the Earth's Children series ... but the PBS listing does NOT have the (series) statement next to the title of this work. There are a couple of others as well.


message 16: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4258 comments Book Concierge wrote: "I assume you mean that that listing must actually state (series) for this to apply?
For example The Clan of the Cave Bear is # 1 in the Earth's Children series ... but the PBS listing does NOT have the (series) statement next to the title of this work. There are a couple of others as well."


Book Concierge, on the PBS TV production introducing the 100 books, it was stated that only one of any series would be listed in the 100 books but that the whole series was considered represented. Of course, they were talking about the Harry Potter books at that time; but, since they were advocating for people to vote for their favorites, I assume they meant all series.


message 17: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16711 comments Mod
Book Concierge wrote: "Sandy wrote: "If the PBS listing is for a series, you can read any book from that series. If it's for an individual book, you must read the specific book. ..."

I assume you mean that that listing ..."


No, the only ones that you can read something other than the actual title listed if when the list actually states (series).


message 18: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16711 comments Mod
Bea wrote: "I assume they meant all series. ..."

For this task, you can only read the book on the list unless the list explicitly states (series).


message 19: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4258 comments Sandy wrote: "Bea wrote: "I assume they meant all series. ..."

For this task, you can only read the book on the list unless the list explicitly states (series)."


Oh, OK.


message 20: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3976 comments Sandy wrote: "Book Concierge wrote: "I assume you mean that that listing must actually state (series) for this to apply?
For example . ..."

"No, the only ones that you can read something other than the actual title listed if when the list actually states (series). ..."



Okay .. actually I think you are agreeing with me but as long as we're all on the same page.


message 21: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamela3265) | 981 comments Sandy wrote: "Cat wrote: "re the Great American Read list: I think it's going to be a moveable feast for a bit, as people seem to keep adding books to it (why can't readers read the rules & obey???!) - is it wor..."

There are a couple of people with librarian privileges keeping a close eye on the list. We haven't had to remove any books from it for a few days. Maybe people are now paying attention to the directions. ;0)


message 22: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16711 comments Mod
Pamela wrote: "Sandy wrote: "There are a couple of people with librarian privileges keeping a close eye on the list. We haven't had to remove any books from it for a few days. Maybe people are now paying attention to the directions. ;0)
..."


Yay!


message 23: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3976 comments Sandy wrote: "If the PBS listing is for a series, you can read any book from that series. If it's for an individual book, you must read the specific book...."

Can you add this to the original post instructions for this task?

When I went to look today, I panicked for a moment because I didn't find it in the OP.

Thanks


message 24: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (igem36) | 221 comments You can't read a book on the list that doesn't meet general SRC rules, though, right? My copy of The Call of the Wild only has 81 pages, for instance.

Just trying to find one more book I can finish before the end of the Summer Challenge!


message 25: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16711 comments Mod
Margaret wrote: "You can't read a book on the list that doesn't meet general SRC rules, though, right? My copy of The Call of the Wild only has 81 pages, for instance.

Just trying to find one more book I can finis..."


SRC rules apply, regardless of whether a book is on this (or any other) list.


back to top