Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Stalking Jack the Ripper (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #1)
This topic is about Stalking Jack the Ripper
Previous BRs - Authors; M - P > Maniscalco Kerri; Staking Jack the Ripper ; Informal Buddy Read ; Starts 18 June 2018

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 31620 comments Mod

Synopsis
Presented by James Patterson's new children's imprint, this deliciously creepy horror novel has a storyline inspired by the Ripper murders and an unexpected, blood-chilling conclusion...

Seventeen-year-old Audrey Rose Wadsworth was born a lord's daughter, with a life of wealth and privilege stretched out before her. But between the social teas and silk dress fittings, she leads a forbidden secret life.

Against her stern father's wishes and society's expectations, Audrey often slips away to her uncle's laboratory to study the gruesome practice of forensic medicine. When her work on a string of savagely killed corpses drags Audrey into the investigation of a serial murderer, her search for answers brings her close to her own sheltered world.

The story's shocking twists and turns, augmented with real, sinister period photos, will make this dazzling, #1 New York Times bestselling debut from author Kerri Maniscalco impossible to forget.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

r

message 4: by Devann (new)

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments i'm in for team draco, assuming i haven't overscheduled myself lol

message 5: by Tina ❣ (last edited May 22, 2018 07:47AM) (new) - added it

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments Lol Devann! I'm on the same page. So many B.R., so little time!
(Team Tonks)

~❤️Minnie❤️~ | 128 comments Lol that’s why I’m scheduling one per week. So I know I’ll have time for all that I want to BR.

Kaley (kaleyamo) | 1431 comments I'm in for Team Bellatrix! My friend actually just lent me this book so I'll be all ready to go when the time comes :)

Kaley (kaleyamo) | 1431 comments Today's the day! I have to finish my current BR before starting this one, but I'm pretty close to done, so I should be able to start this one tonight or tomorrow.

Kaley (kaleyamo) | 1431 comments Ch. 1-3

Not too much to say yet. (view spoiler)

Anyone else start yet?

message 10: by Tina ❣ (new) - added it

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments I haven’t got a copy yet D:

message 11: by Devann (new)

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments i knew there was supposed to be a BR thread for this! i was looking for it the other day but i was doing a search for 'stalking' and the title in the thread says 'staking' i guess so i didn't find the thread and i thought i hallucinated the whole BR lmao

ugh, i've started other books since then but i might be able to start this one this weekend if people are still trickling in

Kaley (kaleyamo) | 1431 comments Devann wrote: "i knew there was supposed to be a BR thread for this! i was looking for it the other day but i was doing a search for 'stalking' and the title in the thread says 'staking' i guess so i didn't find ..."

I did that too! I had to go through and find the BR spreadsheet and go to the thread link to find it!

Kaley (kaleyamo) | 1431 comments Tina wrote: "I haven’t got a copy yet D:"

Oh no! :(

Kaley (kaleyamo) | 1431 comments Ch. 4-5

According to the back of my copy of the book, Audrey Rose (view spoiler)

message 15: by Erika (new) - added it

Erika | 548 comments This finally came in! Yay!

Kaley (kaleyamo) | 1431 comments Yay! I’ve been taking a little break from it but plan to pick it back up so I’m excited to have someone reading at the same time!

message 17: by Lexi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lexi | 3111 comments Just got my copy so starting this evening.

message 18: by Lexi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lexi | 3111 comments Well, I finished. The ideas were clever but the plot held no surprises (view spoiler). It was also just a bit too anachronistic for me with random bits of steampunk thrown in. Anyone else done?

Kaley (kaleyamo) | 1431 comments I haven't proceeded much from my last post, but I just late last night had someone sub in for me for Quidditch, so I'm coming back to this today!

message 20: by Lexi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lexi | 3111 comments Kaley wrote: "I haven't proceeded much from my last post, but I just late last night had someone sub in for me for Quidditch, so I'm coming back to this today!"

Hope you enjoy it more than I did.

message 21: by Devann (new)

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments might pick this one if some other people are gonna start reading it now but i don't think i'll be able to start till maybe saturday

message 22: by Kaley (last edited Jun 29, 2018 05:57AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kaley (kaleyamo) | 1431 comments Through Chapter 11

Yep, I still think that (view spoiler)

message 23: by Kaley (last edited Jun 29, 2018 05:57AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kaley (kaleyamo) | 1431 comments Through Chapter 13

Once again, I still think (view spoiler)

ETA: Also, why do I get the feeling that (view spoiler)

Kaley (kaleyamo) | 1431 comments Through Chapter 20

Aha! (view spoiler)

Kaley (kaleyamo) | 1431 comments Finished!

(view spoiler)

Kaley (kaleyamo) | 1431 comments Lexi wrote: "Well, I finished. The ideas were clever but the plot held no surprises [spoilers removed]. It was also just a bit too anachronistic for me with random bits of steampunk thrown in. Anyone else done?"

(view spoiler)

message 27: by Lexi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lexi | 3111 comments Kaley wrote: "Lexi wrote: "Well, I finished. The ideas were clever but the plot held no surprises [spoilers removed]. It was also just a bit too anachronistic for me with random bits of steampunk thrown in. Anyo..."

Makes sense to me.