Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared (The Hundred-Year-Old Man, #1)
Previous BRs - Authors; I - L > Jonasson Jonas ; The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climed Out the Window and Disappeared; Informal Buddy Read ; Start 15 June 2018

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31607 comments Mod

Synopsis
It all starts on the one-hundredth birthday of Allan Karlsson. Sitting quietly in his room in an old people’s home, he is waiting for the party he-never-wanted-anyway to begin. The Mayor is going to be there. The press is going to be there. But, as it turns out, Allan is not… Slowly but surely Allan climbs out of his bedroom window, into the flowerbed (in his slippers) and makes his getaway. And so begins his picaresque and unlikely journey involving criminals, several murders, a suitcase full of cash, and incompetent police. As his escapades unfold, we learn something of Allan’s earlier life in which – remarkably – he helped to make the atom bomb, became friends with American presidents, Russian tyrants, and Chinese leaders, and was a participant behind the scenes in many key events of the twentieth century. Already a huge bestseller across Europe, The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared is a fun and feel-good book for all ages.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1907 comments Thanks mods!

(Team Tonks)

JanEyre9 Can't wait to read this!

Team McGonagall

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1907 comments Hey Jan! This starts soon. Do you think you'll start it soon? I have about 3 or 4 buddy reads to do in the next few days and then a book of the month!

What would suit you best for reading this?

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 1172 comments Will be joining in for this!
Team Gilderoy Lockhart

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 1172 comments Team Gilderoy Lockhart
Chapters 1 - 7

First of all, what a wonderful book title! Call me crazy, but I would totally read this book, just because the title is so unconventional and wacky! I have never been able to decide what I like more, authors who are able to succinctly tell their whole story with just a one or two-word title, or someone like Jonas Jonasson, with this book, literal a title as it can be! What do you guys think?

Plus, there is something about these Swedish authors and long book titles, be it Fredrick Bachman with his My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry or Steig Larrson's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo or Jonas himself with The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden. Sort of fun, if you ask me! :)

Okay! Back to the book.
So far, this has certainly been as wacky as I was expecting it to be. Allan Karlson, our sprightly centurion, is quite the character, to say the least. (view spoiler)

As soon as I started with the book, my first thought went to A Man Called Ove, although Allan doesn't seem as much a curmudgeon as Ove was. (view spoiler)

JanEyre9 Tina wrote: "Hey Jan! This starts soon. Do you think you'll start it soon? I have about 3 or 4 buddy reads to do in the next few days and then a book of the month!

What would suit you best for reading this?"

Hi Tina. I probably won't get to this until later next week, possibly not even until next weekend :( I was sick for a few days and it totally messed with my reading flow! Apoorv is on a roll with this one and I feel bad leaving a buddy reader hanging but I won't be able to join in for at least 5 more days. But we can keep this casual and everyone can check in as they can.

Apoorv I promise someone will be reading this with you - just possibly after you, lol.

JanEyre9 Apoorv wrote: "Team Gilderoy Lockhart
Chapters 1 - 7

First of all, what a wonderful book title! Call me crazy, but I would totally read this book, just because the title is so unconventional and wacky! I have ne..."

I am totally with you! I knew I wanted to read this book before I even knew the plot. Maybe because the title kind of is the plot, but it's got to at least be a little quirky!

I think I might have a thing for Swedish books written about old people. A Man Called Ove and The Little Old Lady Who Broke All the Rules were really enjoyable - I'm hoping this one joins the club!

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 1172 comments JanEyre9 wrote: "I think I might have a thing for Swedish books written about old people. A Man Called Ove and The Little Old Lady Who Broke All the Rules were really enjoyable - I'm hoping this one joins the club! ."

I LOVED LOVED LOVED A Man Called Ove. If The Little Old Lady Who Broke All the Rules is anything like that, then I'm adding that to my list ASAP. :=)

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1907 comments I'm going to have to take my time too, Jan! Slow and steady sounds good. And am glad you're better now

Apoorv - I'll try and read a few chapters until Jan is able to read with us

This is my first book that has an old person as the main character - I haven't read or heard of the books you've both mentioned. I might give them a read if I like this book!

message 13: by Tina ❣ (last edited Jun 16, 2018 08:04AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1907 comments Okay, I'm up to chapter 4 now.
I was struggling a bit at the start (seems like I am with all my books recently). But the mention of pee slippers... I can't handle it. I have toilet humour so I think Allan and I will get along just fine.

I'll read a bit more before I go to bed and post when I wake up

I think this would be a great audiobook.

I noticed there's no quotation marks when they're speaking. Why do you guys think it is like that?

message 14: by Apoorv (last edited Jun 16, 2018 12:56PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 1172 comments Team Gilderoy Lockhart
Chapters 8 - 14

Now, to be honest, these chapters were a little dry to me. A lot happened, sure; but somewhere I am slightly frowning at the double story line - Allan of today, and of multiple decades ago.

Allan of today and his crazy (view spoiler) Tina, I love that you have toilet humour, and this part of the story would certainly make you laugh.

My concern at this stage of the book is with (view spoiler)

So, am I a little disappointed? Maaaaaaybe! It certainly started off as a 4-star book; midway through, it is looking more like a 3-starer. Let's hope things kick back up and the craziness quotient sky-rockets!

message 15: by Lexi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lexi | 3103 comments I just got to Chapter 10 and while I enjoy the current day parts, I agree with Apoorv that the past is too dry and too much a scenic tour of historical events without depth. I am at 3 stars too right now and hope it gets better.

message 16: by Lexi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lexi | 3103 comments Finished. Not my favorite. My opinion is the same as above and wasn't really fair to Indonesia.

JanEyre9 Finally starting this one for Team McGonagall

I love that it instantly starts with the title action. No hemming and hawing, he just gets right out of there immediately.

Great audio so far.

JanEyre9 Ok, I'm looking forward to knowing a bit about Allan's past, he's a bit too calm while he (view spoiler)

JanEyre9 Chapter 4 - Ummm what?!?! (view spoiler)

JanEyre9 Chapter 8. I really don't like that (view spoiler)

JanEyre9 Lexi wrote: "I just got to Chapter 10 and while I enjoy the current day parts, I agree with Apoorv that the past is too dry and too much a scenic tour of historical events without depth. I am at 3 stars too rig..."

On Chapter 12 and completely agree. The past scenes are dry and too plodding for me.

JanEyre9 Sigh, I am not enjoying this as much as I hoped. I expected it to be more charming and fun. Some parts are certainly funny but as a whole I find this a bit over the top to the point where I feel annoyed.

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1907 comments I’m up to page 316. Nearly done. It started of good but has become a little dry is some places. I hope i can finish it tonight

JanEyre9 I decided to take a break and come back to the audio fresh next week, the story was irking me a bit and I want to give it a fair shot.

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1907 comments Finally finished! It was alright. I was reading it tonight and had to stop to have a nap in order to finish it.

I agree with you 100% Jan. I thought I'd enjoy it more and that it would be more charming and funny. I did have quite a good laugh

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1907 comments Apoorv wrote: "Team Gilderoy Lockhart
Chapters 8 - 14

Now, to be honest, these chapters were a little dry to me. A lot happened, sure; but somewhere I am slightly frowning at the double story line - Allan of tod..."

Apoorv wrote: " ."

It definitely did make me laugh for quite a few minutes, the scene that you mentioned!

Karolyn | 524 comments I was able to get a copy today and am going to jump in (Team Bellatrix Lestrange)

I love the title too, Apoorv is right that Swedish authors seem to have a gift for interesting titles! I read a lot of history non-fiction, so I'm interested in the story of Allan's past life.

JanEyre9 Karolyn wrote: "I was able to get a copy today and am going to jump in (Team Bellatrix Lestrange)

I love the title too, Apoorv is right that Swedish authors seem to have a gift for interesting titles! I read a lo..."

What do you think so far Karolyn?

I am on chapter 16 and I think if it wasn't for this BR I might stop reading. It's not terrible, but I feel bored! There are moments on humor and parts that grab my attention, but the majority is falling flat for me. I blame myself for assuming this would be a light romp, I didn't quite expect all the (view spoiler) I do really like Allan's attitude though, he's keeping me in it.

Karolyn | 524 comments JanEyre9 wrote: "Karolyn wrote: "I was able to get a copy today and am going to jump in (Team Bellatrix Lestrange)

I love the title too, Apoorv is right that Swedish authors seem to have a gift for interesting tit..."

I'm almost done with it. It's OK, but not great... although I appreciate a lighter Read without all the non-fiction I've been doing lately. It feels like there could be two great stories here, Allen's past and his birthday adventure. But, with them slammed together, it's just too over the top for me! I do think the author has done a nice job of creating some interesting characters, though!

JanEyre9 Apoorv wrote: "Team Gilderoy Lockhart
Chapters 8 - 14

Now, to be honest, these chapters were a little dry to me. A lot happened, sure; but somewhere I am slightly frowning at the double story line - Allan of tod..."

Apoorv - Did the book ever pick up for you?

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1907 comments JanEyre9 wrote: "Karolyn wrote: "I was able to get a copy today and am going to jump in (Team Bellatrix Lestrange)

I love the title too, Apoorv is right that Swedish authors seem to have a gift for interesting tit..."

If it wasn't for Tower teams, I wouldn't have picked up quite a few books and definitely would have finish quite a few as well. I probably would have just 'stored' this book and picked it up again in a few months/years.

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1907 comments I'm thinking, each country has a different style of writing. UK and USA books are slightly blended for me. Australian writing is different. I probably struggled with this as it was the first I've read based in Sweden. It's different, so I don't understand it and fully appreciate it.

Karolyn | 524 comments Tina wrote: "I'm thinking, each country has a different style of writing. UK and USA books are slightly blended for me. Australian writing is different. I probably struggled with this as it was the first I've r..."

I agree that country's/regions have different styles. I've read a few Swedish authors, and had a harder time with this one. I couldn't put down The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo or Stieg Larsson's other books. I do see the style of writing in first person alternating between characters as a common approach of Swedish authors.

message 34: by Erika (new)

Erika | 548 comments I am currently listening to this audiobook and I am in love with the style and the general story of this lovely man.

JanEyre9 Hope you enjoy it Erika!! I struggled with this but the writing style is wonderful and there are a lot of wacky, humorous moments.

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1907 comments Let us know how you go! It was a bit challenging for most of us

message 37: by Erika (new)

Erika | 548 comments I listened to a few more chapters yesterday and its still making me chuckle despite confusing me a bit

Colleen  | 238 comments The chuckles are in there - what about the Bible and the ending? Total lol funny. The political parts and some of the rest of it got by me, but overall I thought it was fine - listened to the audio and enjoyed most of it.