Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Glittering Court (The Glittering Court, #1)
This topic is about The Glittering Court
Previous BRs - Authors; M - P > Mead, Richelle--The Glittering Court; informal buddy read starts May 27, 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31620 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss The Glittering Court by Richelle Mead.

Synopsis
Big and sweeping, spanning from the refined palaces of Osfrid to the gold dust and untamed forests of Adoria, The Glittering Court tells the story of Adelaide, an Osfridian countess who poses as her servant to escape an arranged marriage and start a new life in Adoria, the New World. But to do that, she must join the Glittering Court.

Both a school and a business venture, the Glittering Court is designed to transform impoverished girls into upper-class ladies who appear destined for powerful and wealthy marriages in the New World. Adelaide naturally excels in her training, and even makes a few friends: the fiery former laundress Tamsin and the beautiful Sirminican refugee Mira. She manages to keep her true identity hidden from all but one: the intriguing Cedric Thorn, son of the wealthy proprietor of the Glittering Court.

When Adelaide discovers that Cedric is hiding a dangerous secret of his own, together they hatch a scheme to make the best of Adelaide’s deception. Complications soon arise—first as they cross the treacherous seas from Osfrid to Adoria, and then when Adelaide catches the attention of a powerful governor.

But no complication will prove quite as daunting as the potent attraction simmering between Adelaide and Cedric. An attraction that, if acted on, would scandalize the Glittering Court and make them both outcasts in wild, vastly uncharted lands…

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

Erika | 548 comments I’ve got my copy! Excited to start next week! This is my first Richelle Mead book. Anyone else?

Laura | 3927 comments I’ve read her Vampire Academy series and her Bloodlines series. I enjoyed both of them. Typical YA, with love triangles aplenty, but well written.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I've read her Vampire Academy series and enjoyed it. High hopes for this one!

Erika | 548 comments Are we breaking this up in any specific way?

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Since there are 31 chapters, how about we comment after every 5 chapters?

Erika | 548 comments Sounds good to me!

Laura | 3927 comments I’ll do my best, but I’m listening to the audio of this one. If I get really immersed in the story I sometimes don’t hear when they say the chapters. :)

Claire  | 3800 comments Hi! I'd like to join you in this BR :) I'm from team Hermione.

Richelle Mead is one of my favorite authors. I had no serious plans to read this series. I heard really mixed reviews about it. But I figured that I might as well give it a try now that there's a buddy read. :)

Erika | 548 comments Getting immersed is allllways a good thing! Are we all on tower teams? Team Newt Scamander here :p

Michelle's Empty Nest (mlundy5) | 918 comments I'd like to join in, please! I'm from Team Tom Riddle.

I've never read this author and I'm hoping it's better than some of the reviews I've read.

Laura | 3927 comments Michelle, if you like YA you’ll probably like it. But knowing her, I fully expect at least 1 love triangle. :)

Michelle's Empty Nest (mlundy5) | 918 comments I do enjoy most YA so that's good! I'm OK with a triangle or two. LOL!

Claire  | 3800 comments Finished the first 5 chapters

(view spoiler)

Michelle's Empty Nest (mlundy5) | 918 comments ✿ Claire ✿ ~ The Clever Berry wrote: "Finished the first 5 chapters

It's entertaining. I'm enjoying it so far.
I just don't really care for the main character that much. She's a bit annoying, isn't she? But I expect there to be some ..."

I agree with the rumors...not sure what to think yet!

message 18: by Michelle's Empty Nest (last edited May 28, 2018 12:07AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Michelle's Empty Nest (mlundy5) | 918 comments Chapters 1 - 5:

I listening to the audiobook for this one. I like the narrator's accent. So far I am liking this book better than I thought I would based off of many of the reviews I read!

(view spoiler)

Also, since I'm listening to this book, I'm not exactly sure what the name of the third girl, other than Mira, in Adelaide's group is. Can someone spell it for me, please? That's the only thing that drives my crazy with audiobooks!

Claire  | 3800 comments ~Michelle~ wrote: "Chapters 1 - 5:

I listening to the audiobook for this one. I like the narrator's accent. So far I am liking this book better than I thought I would based off of many of the reviews I read!

I tho..."

I agree. It's not as terrible as some people have led me to believe. That's such relief !

The name's Tamsin :)

Michelle's Empty Nest (mlundy5) | 918 comments ✿ Claire ✿ ~ The Clever Berry wrote: "~Michelle~ wrote: "Chapters 1 - 5:

I listening to the audiobook for this one. I like the narrator's accent. So far I am liking this book better than I thought I would based off of many of the rev..."

Thank you, Claire! That will make the rest of the book much more enjoyable not having to guess at what the narrator is saying. :-D

message 21: by Maritza (new)

Maritza (spanishwhispers) | 1945 comments Here from Team Ginny Weasley. Could only find audio version, which is not my fave but narrator sounds very clear so far. This will be good to listen to at night.

Snowtulip | 4553 comments This came in from the library today, but I probably won't be able to start until tomorrow night! I love The Vampire Academy series, but have had a hard time getting into the Bloodlines series...

message 23: by Michelle's Empty Nest (last edited May 27, 2018 11:03PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Michelle's Empty Nest (mlundy5) | 918 comments Chapters 6 - 10:

Still enjoying this book!!

All the girls (view spoiler)

Tamsin is determined (view spoiler)

When Cedric finds out,(view spoiler)

There's some concern (view spoiler)

On the ship, (view spoiler)

I'm worried (view spoiler)

Oh, and the part about (view spoiler)

Erika | 548 comments Ch 1-5 thoughts:
Fantastic first sentence! Loving the flow of the story and Alice’s tone.
Cedric sounds incredibly swoonworthy.
Loving this trio set up- Like the Charlie’s Angels of the manor.

Michelle's Empty Nest (mlundy5) | 918 comments Erika wrote: "Ch 1-5 thoughts:
Fantastic first sentence! Loving the flow of the story and Alice’s tone.
Cedric sounds incredibly swoonworthy.
Loving this trio set up- Like the Charlie’s Angels of the manor."

Doesn't he?!? I immediately wanted him and Adelaide to get together!

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Chp. 1-5

I love that first sentence too! It really pulled me into the story and made me want to see how that would happen. But then the first couple chapters kind of bored me a little, with the visit to the cemetery. But things picked up soon after that thankfully.

(view spoiler)

Claire  | 3800 comments Talia wrote: "Chp. 1-5

I love that first sentence too! It really pulled me into the story and made me want to see how that would happen. But then the first couple chapters kind of bored me a little, with the v..."

I had the same thoughts! (view spoiler)

Laura | 3927 comments I grabbed this one on audio from the library, but hubby is off work today. I don’t get much listening done when he’s home. :(

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Laura wrote: "I grabbed this one on audio from the library, but hubby is off work today. I don’t get much listening done when he’s home. :("

Laura, I can relate! I don’t usually get much reading done on the weekends because my husband wants all of my attention. If only I could get him to read with me! :)

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Chapter 6-10

The story has thoroughly hooked me now! And in looking at the other books in this trilogy, I saw that they are the same story but following other girls in the Glittering Court, so those will be interesting to read after this.

(view spoiler)

Claire  | 3800 comments ~Michelle~ wrote: "Chapters 6 - 10:."

I feel the same way about (view spoiler)

Claire  | 3800 comments Talia wrote: "Chapter 6-10

The story has thoroughly hooked me now! And in looking at the other books in this trilogy, I saw that they are the same story but following other girls in the Glittering Court, so tho..."

I was also suprised (view spoiler)

Erika | 548 comments Right?! I’m already intrigued to read the rest of the series. And I am 100 percent in love with this fashion.

Ch 6-10 thoughts
Was there an explanation for Alice’s parents death?
Adoria seems too good to be true
I’m having pinnochio flashbacks to when the boys go to Pleasure Island

Michelle's Empty Nest (mlundy5) | 918 comments Chapters 11 - 15:

Adelaide and Cedric (view spoiler)

Turns out that(view spoiler)

They finally make it to Adoria (view spoiler)

Adelaide gets (view spoiler)

She finished (view spoiler)

The Opening Ball (view spoiler)

Adelaide gets (view spoiler)

As Chapter 15 ends, (view spoiler)

message 35: by Snowtulip (last edited May 28, 2018 06:34PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Talia wrote: "Chp. 1-5

I love that first sentence too! It really pulled me into the story and made me want to see how that would happen. But then the first couple chapters kind of bored me a little, with the v..."

I agree on these opening chapters, I am having a hard time taking any real interest. (view spoiler)

Just finished Ch 5, I'll see how far I can get tonight :)

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Erika wrote: "
Ch 6-10 thoughts
Was there an explanation for Alice’s parents death?
"

By Alice do you mean Adelaide? Her mom caught an illness from the people she helped at a charity, and her dad caught it from her mom. They didn't specify which illness.

Claire  | 3800 comments Chapter 10-15

(view spoiler)

Erika | 548 comments Ok! I totally missed that explanation.
Yes, Alice is her name before she steals Adelaide’s spot.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, I never knew her real name was Alice! Thanks!

message 40: by [deleted user] (last edited May 29, 2018 06:50AM) (new)

Chp. 11-15

(view spoiler)

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

~Michelle~ wrote: "Chapters 11 - 15:

Adelaide and Cedric [spoilers removed]

Turns out that[spoilers removed]

They finally make it to Adoria [spoilers removed]

Adelaide gets [spoilers removed]

She finished [spoi..."

Michelle, that religious group is the Alanzans.

Michelle's Empty Nest (mlundy5) | 918 comments Thank you, Talia!! I appreciate that! :)

Snowtulip | 4553 comments ~Michelle~ wrote: "Chapters 6 - 10:

All the girls [spoilers removed]

Tamsin is determined [spoilers removed]

When Cedric finds out,[spoilers removed]

There's some concern [spoilers re..."

I am really concerned (view spoiler)

Overall, I'm still having a hard time truly getting into the story, not sure why I'm having trouble connecting with the characters.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Snowtulip wrote: " I am really concerned (view spoiler)

Overall, I'm still having a hard time truly getting into the story, not sure why I'm having trouble connecting with the characters..."

Snowtulip, I love your Jenga analogy! That is so spot on! :D

Michelle's Empty Nest (mlundy5) | 918 comments Snowtulip wrote: "~Michelle~ wrote: "Chapters 6 - 10:

All the girls [spoilers removed]

Tamsin is determined [spoilers removed]

When Cedric finds out,[spoilers removed]

There's some c..."

Yes! Perfect analogy!

Snowtulip | 4553 comments ✿ Claire ✿ ~ The Clever Berry wrote: "Chapter 10-15

I have a ..."

I agree (view spoiler)

message 47: by Snowtulip (last edited May 29, 2018 10:55AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Through Ch 20

Mira (view spoiler)

Warren- (view spoiler)

And (view spoiler)

Claire  | 3800 comments Snowtulip wrote: "Overall, I'm still having a hard time truly getting into the story, not sure why I'm having trouble connecting with the characters..."

I also feel a bit disconnected from the story and the characters at time. I feel like I need to force myself to read it. It's nothing like the other stuff I read by Richelle Mead. :(

Michelle's Empty Nest (mlundy5) | 918 comments Chapters 16 – 20:

Well, well, lots of stuff happened in these chapters!!

Adelaide (view spoiler)

Then a lawyer, who laughingly is somewhat looked down on for his occupation, (view spoiler)

But before that can happen, (view spoiler)

Warren and his mother (view spoiler)

And then (view spoiler)

See, I told you lots of stuff happened! I could have kept on writing….

Michelle's Empty Nest (mlundy5) | 918 comments Chapters 21 – 25:

Tamsin (view spoiler)

Cedric and Adelaide (view spoiler)

There’s not much (view spoiler)

« previous 1