Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BRs - Authors; A - D > Du Maurier, Daphne-- My Cousin Rachel--informal buddy read starts July 1, 2018

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31609 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier.

Synopsis
From the bestselling author of Rebecca, another classic set in beautiful and mysterious Cornwall.

I threw the piece of paper on the fire. She saw it burn ...Orphaned at an early age, Philip Ashley is raised by his benevolent older cousin, Ambrose. Resolutely single, Ambrose delights in Philip as his heir, a man who will love his grand home as much as he does himself. But the cosy world the two construct is shattered when Ambrose sets off on a trip to Florence. There he falls in love and marries - and there he dies suddenly. In almost no time at all, the new widow - Philip's cousin Rachel - turns up in England. Despite himself, Philip is drawn to this beautiful, sophisticated, mysterious woman like a moth to the flame. And yet ...might she have had a hand in Ambrose's death?

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 4: by Jammin Jenny (new)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4149 comments It's on my list - Team Draco Malfoy!

message 5: by Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (last edited May 19, 2018 11:11AM) (new)

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 4702 comments I'll join in on this one. I've had it to read for years. I love Daphne DuMaurier

message 6: by Abbie (new)

Abbie Checking in!

message 7: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5265 comments I'll join this one. Team McGonnagall.

message 8: by Maddy (last edited Jul 02, 2018 09:33AM) (new)

Maddy | 2127 comments Hello :)
Team Minerva McGonnagall

Started reading it and it is pretty good :) My first work by Daphne DuMaurier and I like it. The suspense about cousin Rachel is gripping and helps move forward. I am still waiting to see if she is guilty or if Ambrose was just insane! Of course sometimes I want to smack Philip upside the head for being so naive and trusting her right away just because she didn't look like an old crone, like really, were guys so naive and virginal at that time that they could be so easily charmed and manipulated?! This book makes me rethink "alpha males" in historical romances :D

message 9: by Mary C (last edited Jul 05, 2018 09:58AM) (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5265 comments I haven't made much progress yet. But am I the only finding the relationship between Ambrose and Phillip a little odd? I haven't met Rachel in the book yet.

Maddy, Phillip doesn't have a drop of alpha blood in him. At least not so far as I can tell from what I've read.

I'm trying to figure out when this book is set. The last hanging at the prison mentioned in the beginning was in 1909. It can't be much past 1920. They mentioned cars so that's what I'm thinking. But then Ambrose takes a slow ship on his travels instead of a train or steamship.

message 10: by Maddy (last edited Jul 05, 2018 10:13AM) (new)

Maddy | 2127 comments Mary: "

Odd is putting it lightly! Their relationship is a sort of push and pull mixed in with some "throw them in the deep end and swim or sink" situations... Totally weird!

Ha! By the time I reached middle of the book I thought Philip does not have ANY male blood in him! He was acting like undecided teenage drama queen, who didn't know what he likes/ does not like, what he wants/does not want, etc.

I have no idea about setting... I stopped paying attention because it got too confusing with all the discrepancies and all that drama ...

Have you met Rachel yet? What do you think of Philip's (view spoiler)

message 11: by Maddy (new)

Maddy | 2127 comments Oh, sorry, didn't check the time of your post! Never mind about Rachel yet :D

message 12: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5265 comments Anyone besides Team Minerva going to discuss?

I'm struggling with this one. I loved Rebecca but this one is a snooze fest. Not that Rebecca was all that exciting. I just don't like Phillip.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 4702 comments I'm Team Hermione but I'm so behind on reading for the start of this month. Haven't started yet. Actually I didn't even realize this started. *facepalm*

I'm hoping I enjoy it since I loved, and re-read, Rebecca. Jamaica Inn was pretty good and I absolutely loved an anthology of hers. Every author has a stinker, though.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 4702 comments I'll go ahead and put on my currently reading list now, otherwise it'll slip my mind to start this.

message 15: by Maddy (last edited Jul 06, 2018 09:54AM) (new)

Maddy | 2127 comments Awesome Erin! 😊
And I know, Mary. Philip is totally annoying,whiny and as I said before-teenage drama queen 😄 The fact that the whole book is from his POV makes ir so slooooooow. Especially after about the first third when he meets Rachel.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 4702 comments Ah, a guy is the main POV? Didn't expect that.

message 17: by Maddy (new)

Maddy | 2127 comments Unusual for female writers,right? 😄 But not unseen before. Let us know what you think of Philip when you start reading it! 😉

message 18: by Abbie (new)

Abbie Just starting!!!

message 19: by Abbie (new)

Abbie Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave wrote: "Anyone besides Team Minerva going to discuss?

I'm struggling with this one. I loved Rebecca but this one is a snooze fest. Not that Rebecca was all that exciting. I just don't like Phillip."

I loved Rebecca too...hopefully this one is not too boring...

message 20: by Abbie (last edited Jul 06, 2018 11:39AM) (new)

Abbie Its crazy how long mail use to take! With technology today we get things in seconds!

message 21: by Maddy (new)

Maddy | 2127 comments Amazing,right? Even if you send it through mail,it still will be across the work in week max,not two-three months as it happens in the book 😊

message 22: by Abbie (new)

Abbie I dont think people realise how good we got it these days.

message 23: by Abbie (new)

Abbie So...,(view spoiler)

Has anyone finished yet?

message 24: by Abbie (new)

Abbie Currently on Chapter 16, she sure is spinning a nice web.

message 25: by Maddy (new)

Maddy | 2127 comments I already finished a few days ago 😊

message 26: by Maddy (new)

Maddy | 2127 comments Tell me about it...And the ease with which Phillip falls into it...

message 27: by Maddy (new)

Maddy | 2127 comments The worst part is (view spoiler)

message 28: by Abbie (new)

Abbie Maddy wrote: "The worst part is [spoilers removed]"

😆 That just goes to show that men will do anything for a pretty face!

message 29: by Abbie (new)

Abbie However, (view spoiler)

message 30: by Maddy (last edited Jul 07, 2018 06:23AM) (new)

Maddy | 2127 comments It could be that. I just find it awfully ironic how fast (view spoiler)
I don't know. I guess I just expected more interaction between the attitude switches.

message 31: by Maddy (new)

Maddy | 2127 comments But then again...Daphne du Maurier might have been a feminist and made MC so icky on purpose to show how (view spoiler)

message 32: by Abbie (new)

Abbie Ugh...that ending!

(view spoiler)

message 33: by Maddy (new)

Maddy | 2127 comments Of course she (view spoiler)

message 34: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5265 comments So, while I did not like Philip, I did enjoy the book once I got into it and he finally left home. He just seems highly immature and whiny to me for that time period. Also it seemed like mail and travel took way to long for what should be the early 19th century. There were trains, steam engines, automobiles and even air planes before WWI.

message 35: by Maddy (new)

Maddy | 2127 comments Mary,you really like history? It is not my favorite subject so I don't know about how accurate it is,but I agree about Phillip. Teenage drama queen at its finest. I also agree that the book was enjoyable once you accept that you will never like Phillip and his POV😄 And I can always appreciate a good villain,so Rachel was amazing 😊

message 36: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5265 comments Rachel: (view spoiler)

message 37: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5265 comments Philip: (view spoiler)

message 38: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5265 comments Interesting article on the book. Daphne du Maurier

It suggests that du Maurier might have been a lesbian and that there's evidence of relationships with women. There's apparently a letter to someone where she says she turned them into Rachel and Philip is a representation of herself.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 4702 comments Her other books may show feminism - Jamaica Inn has a tough and unconventional character, and Rebecca seems to be making a point about women in marriage but not giving the heroine her own name.

message 40: by Maddy (new)

Maddy | 2127 comments Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave wrote: "Interesting article on the book. Daphne du Maurier

It suggests that du Maurier might have been a lesbian and that there's evidence of relationships with women. There's apparently a letter to someo..."

If that is true, then I think she really didn't like either herself (if she associates with Phillip) or she hates her love interest (if she associates with Rachel)...

message 41: by Maddy (new)

Maddy | 2127 comments Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* wrote: "Her other books may show feminism - Jamaica Inn has a tough and unconventional character, and Rebecca seems to be making a point about women in marriage but not giving the heroine her own name."

Haven't read her other works unfortunately, but it sounds about right... Wasn't the end of 19th century the big feminism wave?

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 4702 comments Maddy wrote: "Haven't read her other works unfortunately, but it sounds about right... Wasn't the end of 19th century the big feminism wave? ."

Wow, I'm so sorry, thought I responded to this. How rude of me! I remember reading this comment but splat, nothing.

Not sure when the wave hit but you can see it in her writing - then again her males are fascinating too and so far I'm in Philips head.

Out of the bath, read 65 pages of My Cousin Rachel. Again love DuMaurier's writing! In the middle of a Gothic suspense and the Rachel hasn't even shown her face yet. Team Ambrose and Phillip all the way so far.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

My Cousin Rachel (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Daphne du Maurier (other topics)