Addicted to YA discussion

Debates > What makes a good love triangle?

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danyelle (new)

Danyelle (danisbooks) | 174 comments I like it when there are two love interest who are not exactly alike

I like when it does not take the whole series or book for the protagonist to pick one

I hate when it takes the whole book or series and they pick no one.

message 2: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer | 362 comments I'm not a fan of them myself so I'm not sure there's much that does make a good love triangle. I certainly don't like it if the girl (or whoever) professes equal amounts of undying love for each without much difference between them, as it seems she's distracted simply by whoever's company she happens to be in, and that only makes her look flighty.

message 3: by Danyelle (new)

Danyelle (danisbooks) | 174 comments I'm with you there :)

message 4: by Rudo (new)

Rudo I’ve never been a fan of love triangles. Perhaps I haven’t found the right book. But I do agree with everyone above about not liking when the protagonist takes forever to pick whom to end up with.

message 5: by Caelena (new)

Caelena Fey (caelenabooktopia) | 5 comments Danyelle wrote: "I like it when there are two love interest who are not exactly alike

I like when it does not take the whole series or book for the protagonist to pick one

I hate when it takes the whole book or ..."

I totally agree with you, especially if the heroine can actually hold her ground. Because most of the time, in my case, it depends on the heroine herself. It doesn't matter how hot the other two love interest are if the heroine is some whiny person.

The downside is if I actually pick the wrong one who end up not with heroine. It is kinda annoying and can make me stop reading the whole series....
So I prefer if the author gives a strong hint who the heroine will end up with and not just swing it around. The exception is Sarah J mass's books though.

message 6: by Athena (new)

Athena | 78 comments I like it when the girl or guy falls it love, starts to realize that love number one isn't so great for him or her( falls out of love, basically), and then starts to fall in love with number two. Be careful with the love triangle, though. It can be a bit tricky to get "right".
Another thing to add: I strongly dislike a predictable love triangle! Where you can see who the protagonist will pick from very early on, they are instantly in love with each other, but the protagonist still sort of likes( it is more like feeling guilty) the other person.
Have fun writing your story! I love a good thriller.

Frank-Intergalactic Bookdragon (intergalacticbookdragon) 1. Unpredictability: I think it works best if you don't know who the MC will end up with
2. Chemistry: this sorta goes with unpredictability, basically they should all have chemistry and complex relationships so you could easily see the MC being with either person
3. Break cliches: love triangles have been done so much and typically are formulaic, such as a girl choosing between two guys who hate each other and she ends up with the first guy, maybe do some research into this
4. Make it twisty: if it last through the entire series then make sure the entire thing isn't just "I love you both but don't know who I love more!" Make interesting things happen with it
A book that I think does love triangles really well is An Ember in the Ashes, it has really complex characters and is really twisty because you never know anyone's full motivations, highly recommend it...for research purposes, of course

message 8: by Maggie (new)

Maggie ☘ | 81 comments The only love triangles I love are unconventional ones full of twists where you don't know who the MC ends up with right from the start. Like Vendetta, My Soul to Take, The Conspiracy of Us, or ACOTAR (only loved the romance in the sequel)

message 9: by Rachael (new)

Rachael Arsenault | 45 comments I'm not a big fan of love triangles, though they can work sometimes, but my biggest pet peeve is when they're dragged out. There comes a point where it becomes obvious that either a) all the love interests are terrible and the MC should just move on from them entirely, or b) the MC is leading them on/the author is milking the situation for drama.

message 10: by Dan (new)

Dan Lutts (dan_lutts) | 2265 comments I don't like love triangles because I think they've become trite. And I agree with Rachael that I hate it when the author drags out the MC's decision for so long that I lose interest or that I don't see what the MC sees in either or both characters. Personally, I'd like to see more books where friendship grows into love instead of instant attraction.

message 11: by Kimiya (new)

Kimiya (kikidaydreams) | 62 comments Actually making you root for both characters, and having unique characters instead of the usual ones (like bad boy and not like the other girls girl and stuff). So basically being unpredictable.

message 12: by Kimiya (new)

Kimiya (kikidaydreams) | 62 comments I 100 percent agree with @Frank-Intergalactic Bookdragon

TheKaleChip (Semi-Hiatus) (nopecoffeefirst) In my opinion you need deep characters (all 3) and you need a reason to like both guys/girls that the character has to pick. both have to have good chemistry with the character and have the best intentions. I think it is more interesting when the MC has some conflict having to pick, but as @Dan Lutts said, if they drag it out I'm done. mainly I just want a reason to like and want both bc typically you love one and hate the other

message 14: by Izabella (new)

Izabella | 66 comments I need to be invested in both love interests. I also like some element of surprise as to who the MC ends up with. I didn’t like the Katniss, Peeta, and Gale triangle or the America, Maxon, and Aspen triangle because it’s sooooo obvious from the very first encounter who the MC ends up with 😔

TheKaleChip (Semi-Hiatus) (nopecoffeefirst) Agreed.

꧁༺ L̴E̴X̴I̴E̴ ༻꧂ (semi-hiatus) | 192 comments I like that element of surprise when it comes to love triangles. What makes it better is when it's someone who might have previously been an enemy or at least more of an antagonist, because its something you don't see coming. Both characters should have a deeper level to them though with their backstory and personal connection to the MC.

message 17: by katie ♡ (new)

katie ♡ | 1 comments I think that both characters need to be likeable so that you really aren’t sure how it’s going to end. I think that a good example of a well executed love triangle would be the summer I turned pretty series by Jenny Han :)

message 18: by Krishaa (new)

Krishaa | 24 comments I like it when I am able to fall in love with both and the one not chosen isn’t left hanging…

message 19: by v (new)

v | 23 comments I'm not much fan of love triangles because, I feel unfair for the second lead, almost all author make it difficult to choose between the two, because they make them soo loveable and it tears my heart, that the other person should suffer. I don't like that. but I think I will be able to read a love triangle, where either the second lead isn't that perfect enough or dies later. because I don't want to see him suffer afterwards. I really liked love triangle in shatter me, an ember in the ashes.

message 20: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Goldstein | 145 comments I like it when it starts as a regular romance between two MC's and then becomes an unstable triangle and you have no idea what will happen next or who will be with whom.

message 21: by R.S. (new)

R.S. Merritt | 154 comments Basically anything not as cringe worthy as the ones in Harry Potter... So bad... Also - I think they're called throuples now :-)

Tarria♪ (exam semi-hiatus) (tarria) | 203 comments What love triangles were in Harry Potter? The only one I can think of is the Ron Hermione lavender thing and I don't think that really qualifies as a love triangle

message 23: by Princess (new)

Princess Night | 62 comments when one of the guys finds himself a?new lover rather then being miserable or killed

message 24: by ✨Meryem✨ (new)

✨Meryem✨ (faylinn) | 65 comments When the character's whole personality is not being in love or being the opposite of the other character in the love triangle.
Author tend to do that a lot, like one is a "bad boy with a background" and the other is a "good boy"

I also liked the love .... geometry in Shadow And Bone. Each character had their own personality and their reason for liking the character. And the main character also knew who she liked but she had to choose between her feelings and responsibilities.
It was an interesting dynamic (And the fact that the two guys didn't hate each others just because they liked the same person)

message 25: by Maggie (new)

Maggie ☘ | 81 comments when it's there to show the character growth of the MC, maybe the first love interest turns out to be a different person than the MC thought, or normal relationship problems and they grow apart / break up with the first love interest, or maybe it's literally a part of the plot (like in Kiss of Deception). Generally, I think "love triangles" where the MC ends up with the second love interest are more interesting/have more meaning, and I generally think if there's a love triangle and she ends up with the first one that there was no point to the triangle in the first place, just for drama.

message 26: by Sofia B (new)

Sofia B Nothing.

message 27: by Talkbookish (new)

Talkbookish | 369 comments The love triangle in The Infernal Devices: Will- Tessa- Jem was the only one I could tolerate.
With that exception, I loathe love triangles in general.

message 28: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Georges | 21 comments I think there are some love triangles that can be good as long as its not very predictable. I mean imagine Hunger Games. You have Katniss, Gale, and Peeta in this predictable love triangle but in the end. BAM! She chooses to be with little Timmy next door or she chooses the life of a single and independent woman. I mean either one of those is exciting and unpredictable.

Tarria♪ (exam semi-hiatus) (tarria) | 203 comments When it's not the focus of the story and the heroine is blatantly nonchalant about it. Also when she ends up with the nice guy instead of the annoying bad boy (a good example is THG).

message 30: by Niamh (new)

Niamh | 21 comments All characters being fully developed individuals not just clichés. And when it's actually unpredictable and interesting rather than obvious from the start.

message 31: by Ayesha (new)

Ayesha | 58 comments Nothing in my opinion, love triangles bother me and deplenish my mental health.

message 32: by Aeduliudaen (new)

Aeduliudaen  ᗰETᗩTI | 23 comments Ayesha wrote: "Nothing in my opinion, love triangles bother me and deplenish my mental health."

Totally agree with that