We Read Stuff discussion

Quarterly Curator Challenge > Quarterly Curator Challenge Sign Ups & Information

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (last edited Mar 27, 2019 03:04PM) (new)

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Quarterly Curator Challenge Sign Ups

topbookbanner

Ever had trouble deciding what to read next?

Have an almost embarrassingly large TBR pile?

Like giving recommendations to others?

If you answered yes to any of the above questions then this challenge is for you! You would be signing up to be assigned to a partner for 3 months to curate and receive recommendations with the following guidelines:

~Each person will pick 2-5 recommendations for their partner each month and post them in their thread.

~I highly encourage that picks either have been read by the recommender and rated 3 or more stars or be by an author that they have read a book by and rated it 3 or more stars

~Each person may choose if they want their picks to only be chose from a certain shelf. Remember though, the less restriction you put on your curator the more fun surprises you will discover.

~You will commit to reading at least one of the books that your quarterly curation partner picked. If you want to read more than that it is up to you.

~ Each pairing will have their own thread set up for them~
The reason for making this challenge 3 months each time is that it gives you time to start to get to know the person you are picking for, and possibly make a new friend in the process.

Sign-ups for Q3 2019

Close June 20th at Noon CST

Partners Announced and threads set up by June 24th

Challenge for Q3 2019 runs July 1st - September 30th

bottombookbanner

message 2: by Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (last edited Mar 27, 2019 03:03PM) (new)

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) description

Name:
Favorite Genres:
Optional:
Genres I am interested in exploring more:
If there is an odd number of people are you willing to get two partners?

Current people signed up for Q3 2019:

description

message 3: by Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (last edited May 19, 2018 09:31AM) (new)

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Name: Nyx
Favorite Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror, Dystopian, and BDSM heavy erotica
Genres I am interested in exploring more: Mystery & True Crime

message 4: by Cyn (last edited Jul 13, 2018 08:18AM) (new)

Cyn  | 78 comments Name: Cyn
Favorite genres: Post-apocalyptic, YA dystopian, MG fantasy, historical fiction, paranormal romance, sci-fi
Genres I'm interested in exploring more: memoirs, literary fiction

message 5: by Rachelle (new)

Rachelle (fortifiedbybooks) | 9 comments Name: Rachelle
Favorite genres: Fantasy and Sci-Fi
Genres I'm interested in exploring more: memoirs, cozy mysteries

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Cyn & Rachelle

Since it was just the 3 of us this first round I decided to sit out and pair you two up. Here is your discussion thread :)

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Sign-ups For Q4 Running October thru December now open

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Name: Nyx
Favorite Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror, Dystopian, and BDSM heavy erotica
Genres I am interested in exploring more: Mystery & True Crime

message 9: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 158 comments Hi,
I will sign up for this one!

Name: Jenny
Favorite Genres: Science fiction, Suspense, Weird Fiction, Well written fiction, Science books, Dystopian
Interested in exploring: Mystery, Romance, really anything as long as it is well written.

message 10: by Ian (last edited Jul 12, 2018 11:20PM) (new)

Ian (setaian) Can I join?

Name: Ian
Favorite genres: romance (most romantic sub-genres but I tend to read UF, PR, CR and RS.)
Genres I'm interested in exploring more: Anything written by women and about women....though I have issues with extremely dark subject matter so no rape or sex crimes. No crimes against children. Nothing too sad. I can deal with a little violence.

message 11: by Cyn (new)

Cyn  | 78 comments Name: Cyn
Favorite genres: Post-apocalyptic, YA dystopian, MG fantasy, historical fiction, paranormal romance, sci-fi
Genres I'm interested in exploring more: memoirs, literary fiction

message 12: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 158 comments I have to confess, since I grew up in a world where texting didn't exist, I have no idea what most of the abbreviations being used in the posts above stand for. Anyone want to enlighten me so I may get some idea of the books that will be recommended? Thanks.
UF, PR, CR, RS, MG?

message 13: by Rachelle (new)

Rachelle (fortifiedbybooks) | 9 comments Jenny wrote: "I have to confess, since I grew up in a world where texting didn't exist, I have no idea what most of the abbreviations being used in the posts above stand for. Anyone want to enlighten me so I may..."

I could be wrong in how Ian is using them, but this is what I know them to be:

UF = Urban Fantasy/Fiction
PR = Paranormal Romance
MG = Middle-Grade

I honestly don't know what CR or RS stand for, but given the context, they're sub-genres of Romance.

message 14: by Cyn (new)

Cyn  | 78 comments Uf is urban fantasy, pr is paranormal romance, mg is middle grade
Im not sure of cr or rs, sorry

message 15: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 158 comments Thanks guys.
So for CR- captive reader? Cryptic redneck?
RS- really short? Romantic seacreature?

Just guessing.

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) I’m going to guess cs is Christian romance, while I don’t personally read that genre I do know it’s a thing. No idea on RS. Ian help us out!

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) I’ll update the participants list tonight, our grand opening for work is today so I’m only piping into my phone for a sec about to get ready to head out.

message 18: by Ian (last edited Jul 13, 2018 03:22PM) (new)

Ian (setaian) CR = Contemporary Romance
RS = Romantic Suspense

I didn't mention them but other commonly used abbreviations are;

YA = Young Adult
NA = New Adult (20+ often quite steamy)
HR = Historical Romance
MM = Male/Male (LGBT)
FF = Female Female (LGBT)
MMF or FFM (you get the idea...lol I don't judge)
HEA = Happily Ever After (i.e. I'm looking for books with a HEA)
H = Hero
h= Heroine
TSTL = Too Stupid to Live (i.e. the H was tstl)
Cozy = Cozy Mystery

I think Christian Romance tends to use the label G-Rated Romance. Not really sure....I've read a little, not much and that tag has popped up more than once.

Might be worth putting all this somewhere else.

message 19: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 158 comments Thanks, that helps a lot.

I just read a science fiction book that had some space travelers come back to Earth after many generations, and the language on Earth had become nothing but abbreviations and acronyms. A nightmare come to life!

message 20: by Aqsa (new)

Aqsa (her_747) | 96 comments Name: Aqsa
Favorite Genres: Everything really.
Genres I am interested in exploring more: Mystery & True Crime, and maybe even horror (has to be really really horror), dystopian.

message 21: by Jamie (new)

Jamie  (bookstatsandtea) Name: Jamie
Favorite Genres: Horror, Thriller, True Crime, Dystopian, Paranormal
Genres I am interested in exploring more: Science Fiction, Romance, & Mysteries (cozy too)

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) I believe I have everyone’s sign ups up to this post. If you don’t see your name on the people who have signed up post let me know so I can get your sign up and preferences noted. I’m really excited for this :)

message 23: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (audjvoss12) | 9 comments Name: Audrey
Fave genres: psychology, science, parenting, horror, poetry, graphic novels/comics, classics
Genre I’m interested in exploring more: fiction and maybe YA

message 24: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (audjvoss12) | 9 comments Also a good HEA

message 25: by Sam (new)

Sam (sarcasmandscifi) | 12 comments Name: Sam
Favorite Genres: sci-fi, horror, comics/graphic novels, Dystopian
Genres I am interested in exploring more: urban fantasy, true crime, romance

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Sam and Audrey I've got you guys down :)

message 27: by Katrisa (new)

Katrisa | 207 comments Mod
Hi! I’m new to the group and I think this will be a fun way to get to know at least one person in the group.

Name: Katrisa

Favorite genres: I really have a wide taste in books. I love contemporary literary fiction and fantasy probably the most, but I also like graphic novels, horror, sci-fi, classics and non-fiction. I’m not really a romance person though. I enjoy reading outside my race and/or country.

Genres I’m interested in exploring - for the most part I’m open!

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Working on the pairs today. Since there is an odd number I wanted to ask if anyone wanted to get two partners. You would have to pick for two people and get recs from two people as well. If not I don’t mind putting myself with two people just wanted to check :)

message 29: by Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (last edited Sep 20, 2018 04:27PM) (new)

message 30: by Aqsa (new)

Aqsa (her_747) | 96 comments Is the signing up open for Q1 2019?

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Aqsa wrote: "Is the signing up open for Q1 2019?"

Yes :)

I’ll put an announcement about it in the next newsletter but it is open as of now.

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) ~ Sign-ups are open for Q1 2019 ~

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Name: Nikki
Favorite Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror, Dystopian, Non-Fiction, and BDSM heavy erotica.
Optional:
Genres I am interested in exploring more: True Crime & Mystery
If there is an odd number of people are you willing to get two partners? Yes

message 34: by Aqsa (new)

Favorite Genres: Everything really.
Genres I am interested in exploring more: Science Fiction, classics, Dystopian, Romance.
If there is an odd number of people are you willing to get two partners? Yes

message 35: by Ian (new)

Ian (setaian) Name: Ian
Favorite Genres: Romance and most romantic sub-genres
but mostly CR, RS, UF and PR.
Genres I am interested in exploring more:: Maybe graphic novels and YA.

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Don’t forget to sign up for January before the 20th :)

message 37: by Katrisa (new)

I’ll join for quarter 1.

My favorite genres are contemporary literary fiction and fantasy but I read fairly widely. I like sci-fi, classics, I’ve been more into thrillers and mysteries lately. I read some YA and middle grade. I have a reading goal for 2019 to read more women and more books in translation.

I am not a fan of romance for the most part, but I’m willing to branch out. One of the Book Riot tasks for 2019 is a book of erotica, which is not a genre I am too familiar with, so I’m interested in exploring more of that.

I am willing to have two partners if there is an odd number.

message 38: by Amber (new)

Amber | 8 comments My name is Amber.
I dont really have a favorite genre because i read a little but of everything. I dont really care for historical romance. I do enjoy thrillers and fantasy and mystery.
I would like to look more into true crime and more mystery i guess and i would be willing to have two if we had an ofd number

Ivana - Diary of Difference (diaryofdifference) My name is Ivana, and this is the first time I am doing this challenge and I am extremely excited.

I love reading everything, but I mostly read YA, Fantasy, Mystery, Psychological Thrillers, romance on occasions.

In 2019, I was to mostly try going through my TBR list, mostly with books I own, as I buy loads of books, and never read them, but I am also open to all suggestions.

I am willing to have two partners, if the number is odd.

message 41: by Aqsa (new)

Aqsa (her_747) | 96 comments Thanks Nikki :)

message 42: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 6 comments Can I eventually subscribe for next time? I love literary fiction, thrillers, fantasy and classics (and much more).

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Claire wrote: "Can I eventually subscribe for next time? I love literary fiction, thrillers, fantasy and classics (and much more)."

Absolutely!

message 44: by Amber (new)

Amber | 8 comments Cool Nikki you're my partner :)

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) **Sign Ups For Q2 2019 Running April Thru June Now Open**

message 46: by Aqsa (new)

Favorite Genres: Anything Really
Genres I am interested in exploring more: Dystopian, Fantasy, Thriller/Suspense
If there is an odd number of people are you willing to get two partners? Sure!

message 47: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 6 comments Name: Claire
Favourite genres: I love literary fiction, contemporary literature, historical fiction, thrillers, fantasy and classics (and much more).
I’d rather start with 1 partner as it is the first time

message 48: by Katrisa (new)

I have been enjoying this challenge - I'll sign up for Q2!

My favorite genres are contemporary literary fiction and fantasy but I read fairly widely. I like sci-fi, classics, I’ve been more into thrillers and mysteries lately. I read some YA and middle grade. I have a reading goal for 2019 to read more women and more books in translation.

I am willing to have two partners if there is an odd number.

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Katrisa wrote: "I have been enjoying this challenge - I'll sign up for Q2!

My favorite genres are contemporary literary fiction and fantasy but I read fairly widely. I like sci-fi, classics, I’ve been more into t..."

Glad you are enjoying it :D

message 50: by Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (last edited Mar 27, 2019 03:03PM) (new)

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Here are the pairs for Q2 2019!

Aqsa & Katrisa

Nikki & Claire

description