Play Book Tag discussion

Fates and Furies
This topic is about Fates and Furies
May 2018: Family Drama > (LISTOPIA) Fates and Furies - Lauren Groff (4 stars)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cora (corareading) | 1453 comments Fates and Furies - Lauren Groff

4 stars

This is the story of a marriage told first by the husband and then by the wife. Like most other PBT reviewers, I preferred the second half to the first half, which kind of dragged for me. I guess I did not see the charm and charisma that I was being told Lotto had (maybe I wasn't supposed to). I did like Mathilde's story better, but I think my enjoyment suffered from high expectations. I kept hearing about how there were twists and surprises revealed in the second perspective, but I did not find most of them surprising. In fact many of them I anticipated while reading the the first half. Perhaps I would have appreciated them more if I wasn't expecting them. Overall, I like the story of the marriage and its evolution. Despite the characters flaws and weaknesses, they were a good match and it was nice seeing a story about a couple that really loved each other, even though they may not have always made the best choices.

Susie | 4488 comments I adored this book!

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6381 comments Cora wrote: "Fates and Furies - Lauren Groff

...a story about a couple that really loved each other, l..."

I don't think they loved one another. I think (view spoiler)

Still, I gave it 4 stars. Disturbing but fascinating....

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I also loved this one! It was hit or miss with my book club though.

Her new book comes out soon, Florida, and while I am not a huge fan of short stories, I may have to give it a whirl.

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Really enjoyed this book, I also enjoyed The Monsters of Templeton which I think was her first book.

Susie | 4488 comments Nicole, I feel the same. I don’t love short stories, but I’m willing to read her shopping list.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Susie wrote: "Nicole, I feel the same. I don’t love short stories, but I’m willing to read her shopping list."

She is speaking at an event not far from me that I would totally love to go to, but it is the same night as my class. Law school ruins all the book fun....

Susie | 4488 comments Nicole R wrote: "Susie wrote: "Nicole, I feel the same. I don’t love short stories, but I’m willing to read her shopping list."

She is speaking at an event not far from me that I would totally love to go to, but i..."

Boo!