What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Disturb Not The Dream
This topic is about Disturb Not The Dream
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. 80s or 90s mystery/suspense/thriller. Father has affair, at least 3 children in the family, storm causes violence. Spoiler ahead. [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah (seralis) | 2 comments I remember reading the hardcover version of this when I was younger, so probably the late 80s early 90s. It was missing the dust over, so I have no idea what the cover looked like. There was a family with at least 3 children, but possibly more. The older brother and sister were tricked into sleeping together. The father was having an affair, maybe with a woman he was working with, but she ended it, and he was driving home drunk through an intense storm after meeting her. He ends up killing his family, but the youngest daughter was hiding with her kitten, so she survived. Years later she is travelling through a similar storm and starts feeling violent. I think there was some correlation between the storm raging and the rage the characters are feeling.

Thank you so much for any help finding this!! It has been driving me crazy!

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36544 comments Mod
Added a spoiler alert to the topic header.

message 3: by Tadgh (new)

Tadgh | 28 comments The storm-rage connection, did it feel more fantastical/paranormal, or was it played straight with a comparatively mundane reason like chemicals in the air or w/e?

message 4: by Andria (last edited May 29, 2018 09:29AM) (new) - added it

Andria (airdna) | 2502 comments Mod
I think this is Disturb Not The Dream by Paula Trachtman

message 5: by Andria (last edited May 29, 2018 09:29AM) (new) - added it

Andria (airdna) | 2502 comments Mod
I read DNTD in the late 80s and I went crazy trying to find it again twenty years later! It’s an overwrought, beautiful, terrible mess of a book that sticks with you. The thing with the kitten definitely rings a bell, and the storms. Hurricanes, I think it was.

message 6: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah (seralis) | 2 comments Andria, this is it!! Thank you so much!! Now I just have to find a copy to buy.