Play Book Tag discussion

May 2018: Family Drama > What the Lady Wants: 3 Stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments What the Lady Wants by Jennifer Crusie

What the Lady Wants, Jennifer Crusie

★ ★ ★

I ♥ Jennifer Crusie's writing, it makes me laugh, feel good, & holds my interest.

I am taking of 1/2 Star for the over dramatized, over-long sex scene.... It was long & tedious. Usually Crusie's sex scenes are pretty good, but this was over the top & boring.

Mae Belle hires Mitch, whom she mistakenly takes for a dummy to investigate Armand's murder & to find his missing diary. What Mae Belle doesn't tell Mitch is that she overheard a snippet of Armand's phone conversation stating that the diary tells where the money is.

Mae Belle's parents died when she was a child, her three uncles (all crooks) drew straws for her and her Uncle Armand (who didn't like children) won.

When Uncle Armand dies, his will leaves everything with the exception of a stipend for his butler & housekeeper and 1/2 of his stocks to Mae Belle.

But the funeral holds a surprise for everyone; the previous week Armand married a Society Maven who decides that as the widow she is moving into Mae Belle's home. Not only is there a widow to contend with, there is no money, there are no stocks, and valuable antiquities & art have been steadily been disappearing from the house.

Family Drama

When Mitch & Mae Bell visit her two other uncles: Uncle Claud, a silent brooding financial wizard (indicted for financial fraud) and Uncle Gio, a rumored hit-man who is also taking care of his sociopath grandson Carlo (in love w/ Mae Belle) all hell breaks loose... All do their best to get Mae Belle away from Mitch, no matter how she demands that Mitch is who she wants at her side investigating Armand's alleged murder.

Included in Mae Belle's family:
* June, Armand's housekeeper & former mistress, surrogate mother of Mae Bell and wife of Harold
* Harold, Armand's sinister butler and protector of Mae Belle
* Stormy, Armand's mistress, stripper, & good-times girl
* Bob, Mae Belle's mentally challenged dog that keeps hitting his head on the kitchen cupboard

It is a fun fast moving book with a twist of an ending

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6734 comments So glad you enjoyed this one! For some reason, the author name sounds so familiar, but I can't recall ever reading her before. I'm off to check to see what I might have read. But nothing like writing that makes you laugh! That's awesome . . .

message 3: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6734 comments Lol, well I must be confusing her with someone else because I'm sorry to report I have not heard of her books nor read any of them. Sounds like a fun beach type read though . . .