The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
SUMMER CHALLENGE 2018 > Summer Challenge 2018: Tasks

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited May 29, 2018 09:26AM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 5329 comments Mod
5 Point Tasks

5.1 - The Phantom of the Opera
Help Thread
A bitter masked man known only as the Phantom lives in the sewers underneath the Paris Opera House.
Read a book with the word mask, masks, masque, masques, masked or mask's in the title or subtitle Or with a mask* on the cover. For this task, a mask is an object covering all or part of the face worn to conceal one's identity. The comedy/tragedy mask symbols are included.
Ex. Masquerade (Blue Bloods, #2) by Melissa de la Cruz The Echoes of Love by Hannah Fielding The Skull Beneath The Skin (Cordelia Gray, #2) by P.D. James Transcend by Christine Fonseca
Required: If using the cover option include the cover.

5.2 - Chicago
Help Thread
Set in the legendary city during the roaring “jazz hot” 20s, Chicago tells the story of two rival vaudevillian murderesses locked up in Cook County Jail. Velma enlists the help of prison matron Mama Morton and slickster lawyer Billy Flynn, who turn Velma’s incarceration into a murder-of-the-week media frenzy, thus preparing the world for a splashy showbiz comeback.
Read a book that has been shelved as Legal Thriller at least 2 times from this list of Legal Thrillers
Required: State the page.

5.3 - The Lion King
Help Thread
The Lion King musical was based on the 1994 Disney animated film of the same name. The role of Nala was expanded in the musical, and in Swahili the meaning of the name Nala is Gift.
Read a book that you received as gift Or a book from this list Best Books to Gift
Required: State how you received your book gift, or if using the list indicate the page.

5.4 - Cats
Help Thread
Based on T.S. Eliot's Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats, Andrew Lloyd Webber's classic musical tells the story of the Jellicle cats.
The signature song from the show is Memory
Read a book with the word memory, memories or memory's in the title, subtitle or series title.

5.5 - Les Misérables
Help Thread
Relentless policeman Javert pursues escaped convict Jean Valjean over decades through the tumult of revolutionary France.
Read a book written by a single author who shares a name with one of the performers in the original French Or London stage productions Original Casts (first 2 columns only)- the names are listed in post 2.
Names must match exactly, but may appear in any name position.
Ex. Boy Wonder: My Life in Tights by Burt Ward from David Burt
Required: State the performer's name.

5.6 - A Chorus Line
Help Thread
A Chorus Line centers on seventeen Broadway dancers auditioning for spots on a chorus line. One of the most popular songs from the show is One! Singular sensation...
Read a book with a single word title. Subtitles should be ignored. Articles must be considered.

5.7 - Wicked
Help Thread
Wicked is based on the 1995 novel Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West, an alternative telling of the 1939 Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer film The Wizard of Oz and the novel, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.
Read a book from this list of The Best Fairytales and Retellings
Required: State the page.

5.8 - Oh! Calcutta!
Help Thread
Oh! Calcutta! is an avant-garde theatrical revue consisting of sketches on sex-related topics that asks at the end of Act I "Was It Good for You, Too?"
Read a book with an exclamation point or question mark in the title or subtitle.
Ex. Absalom, Absalom! Very Good, Jeeves! When Will There Be Good News?

5.9 - Mamma Mia!
Help Thread
Mamma Mia! is based on the songs of ABBA. On any given day, there are at least seven performances of Mamma Mia! being performed around the globe. Read a book where the FIRST word in the title is exactly seven letters. All words count, articles must be considered. Punctuation within a word such as a hyphen may be ignored. Numbers count as letters.

5.10 - Beauty and the Beast
Help Thread
Beauty and the Beast was adapted from Walt Disney Pictures' Academy Award-winning 1991 animated musical film of the same name.
Look there she goes that girl is so peculiar
I wonder if she's feeling well
With a dreamy, far-off look
And her nose stuck in a book
What a puzzle to the rest of us is Belle

Belle is not a puzzle to those of us in the SRC. Celebrate Belle and stick your nose in a book of your choice. Note: Books with the genre "children" or "kids" NOT found in AR Bookfinder MAY be used for this task. Required: If using this exemption, state that the book is not found in ARBookFinder.

message 2: by SRC Moderator (last edited May 29, 2018 03:35PM) (new)

10 Point Tasks

10.1 - Summer Blockbusters
Help Thread
Read a book related in some way to one of the 15 summer movies on this list: In a Year Full of Blockbusters, Summer 2018 Will Be Especially Huge
Required: Explain the connection between the movie and the book when you post.

Examples:
Movie: OCEAN'S 8
Book: 44 Cranberry Point
Connection: there's a number in the title of the movie and the title of the book

Movie: MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE – FALLOUT
Book: The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe
Connection: author's first name matches Tom Cruise (actor in the movie)

10.2 - Let's Dance
Help Thread
Read a book with the word DANCE in the title/subtitle or series title. Plurals, possessives and words that retain the meaning of the word (ex: dancing, dancer, danced) will also work.

10.3 - It's All About Me
Help Thread
Read a non-fiction biography, autobiography or memoir of a screenwriter, playwright, composer, musician, dancer, or actor. A biography or memoir of a group, such as a band or a dance troupe, will also work.
Required: If the subject's occupation is not obvious in the Goodread's description of the book, explain the connection when you post.

10.4 - Wonder Woman
Help Thread
June 3 is Wonder Woman day. Read a book written by a female author whose first and last initials can be found in WONDER WOMAN. Middle initials/names should be ignored. One author in a book with multiple contributors works.

10.5 - The Globe
Help Thread
One of the most recognizable theater names in the world, the original Globe theater was built by Shakespeare's company, the Lord Chamberlain's Men, in 1599. Read a book with SHAKESPEARE found intact in the author's name or in the book's title/subtile or series title. Examples: William Shakespeare's Star Wars: Verily, A New Hope; anything written by William Shakespeare, Hag-Seed (Hogarth Shakespeare series)

10.6 - Radio City Music Hall
Help Thread
Radio City Music Hall is the headquarters for the precision dance company, the Rockettes. Read a book written by an author whose first and last initials can be found sequentially in the word ROCKETTES (i.e., RO, OC, CK, etc.). Initials may also be used in reverse order (i.e., OR, CO, KC, etc.) and can wrap around the end of the word (i.e., SR or RS). Middle names/initials should be ignored.

10.7 - The World's Largest
Help Thread
With 25 screens, each seating between 211 and 996 people, the Kinepolis Madrid is the largest movie theater in the world. Read a series book that has a number that can be found in 25, 211, and/or 996. Whole numbers only. Ex: The Surgeon(Rizzoli & Isles #1); Speaking from Among the Bones (Flavia de Luce #5); Wild Man Creek (Virgin River #12); Strangers in Death (In Death #26)

10.8 - The World's Oldest
Help Thread
The Teatro Olimpico was built on March 3, 1585 and is now the oldest surviving enclosed theatre in the world. Read a book that was first published in March of any year or in any month of a year that contains at least 2 of the following numbers: 1, 3, 5, 8.

10.9 - A Look Back
Help Thread
What books were popular last summer? Read a book on one of the following lists:
Most Popular Books Published In June 2017
Most Popular Books Published In July 2017
Most Popular Books Published In August 2017
Required: State which list the book can be found on when you post.

10.10 - Summer Reading List
Help Thread
Every year, UC Berkeley faculty, staff, and students recommend some great books for the incoming classes (and everyone else) to read. Read a book from one of the Berkeley Summer Reading lists: 2018 Summer Reading list or the archived Summer Reading lists.
Required: State which list the book can be found on when you post.

message 3: by SRC Moderator (last edited Jun 02, 2018 11:13AM) (new)

15 Point Tasks

15.1 - Which Did You Like Better?
Help Thread
Book 1 – read a book from the list The Book Was Better Than the Movie
AND
Book 2 – read a book from the list The Movie was Better Than the Book

REQUIRED: In your post, specify the page on the lists on which your books are found.

15.2 - In Memory of...….
Help Thread
Book 1 - In memory of Stephen Hawking, read a nonfiction book with a main page genre of science, standalone or embedded.

AND
Book 2 - In memory of Tom Wolfe, read a single author book with the author's initials found in the phrase RADICAL CHIC. Letters may be used only as often as they appear in the phrase. All initials count.

15.3 - My Feet Hurt
Help Thread
OPTION 1:
Book 1 - Where would dancers be without choreographers? Here's a list of 10 famous choreographers. Famous Choreographers The names are also listed in post 2 of the Help Thread.

Read a book whose author shares a first name with one of these choreographers. Names must match exactly. One author in a book with multiple contributors works.

AND

Book 2 - Here's a list of 16 famous dancers: Famous Dancers. The names are also listed in post 2 of the Help Thread.
Read a book whose author shares a last name with one of these dancers. Names must match exactly. One author in a book with multiple contributors works.

OR

OPTION 2: Read one book that meets the requirements for BOTH Book 1 and Book 2.

15.4. Double Trouble
Help Thread
OPTION 1:
Since "summer" has a repeated letter in it, read
Book 1 - A book the title/subtitle of which contains a word with a double vowel. The vowel must be repeated immediately in the word, not just somewhere in the word. Example: Cartwheel - double "e."
AND
Book 2 - A book the title/subtitle of which contains a word with a double consonant, repeated immediately in the word. Example: Innocent Traitor - double "n"

OR

OPTION 2 -Read one book that meets the criteria for A and B - title/subtitle contains a word with a repeated vowel and one with a repeated consonant. Example: Tapping the Dream Tree (double "p" in Tapping, double "e" in Tree).

15.5 - The Bard
Help Thread
Read a book, fiction or nonfiction, about William Shakespeare. This should be a book about the man William Shakespeare, not about his work. Examples: Soul of the Age: A Biography of the Mind of William Shakespeare, The Year of Lear: Shakespeare in 1606, Shakespeare in Love: A Screenplay.

15.6 - They Call It Acting!
Help Thread
Read a book from the following list: Thespians.
REQUIRED: Specify the page of the list on which your book is found.

15.7 – Beatlemania!
Help Thread
Read a book with a title/subtitle containing a word from the title of a Beatles album, listed in the Beatles discography – “a” and “the” cannot be used. Beatles discography The albums are also listed in post 2 of the help thread.

Words must match exactly - no variations.

15.8 - The Great American Read
Help Thread
PBS is sponsoring a series this summer – The Great American Read – focusing on America’s 100 best-loved novels, as chosen in a national survey. Read a book from this list: The Great American Read

15.9 - O Canada
Help Thread
Canada Day is July 1. Every year the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) hosts an event called Canada Reads where Canadian celebrities promote a book by a Canadian author that they think is worth reading. The result is highlighting five books for each year, from which a winner is chosen.

Read a book that was a finalist for the award in any year.
Canada Reads Finalists

REQUIRED: Specify the year in which your book was a finalist.

15.10 - Time to Kick Back and Relax!
Help Thread
It's summer - time to relax. Read a book written by one of your most read authors from your Goodreads "read" shelf.

Go to My Books. Scroll down in the left column to "Your Reading Activity." Click on "Most Read Authors" to see your list of authors. Read a book by one of those authors - you may use ANY of the authors on your list.

If you do not have any books/authors listed on Goodreads, you may use the top 10 authors listed for one of the moderators: Sandy, Dlmrose, Kristina Simon.

Ignore the numbering on the list, since they assign the same numbers to ties. Simply count the top 10 listed.

REQUIRED: Include in your post the number of books that you (or the mod whose list you used) have read by that author.

message 4: by SRC Moderator (last edited Jul 14, 2018 08:12PM) (new)

20 point tasks

20.1 Most Improved Player - Witchygal’s task: Around the world with theatre
Help Thread
One of my favourite things to do when we travel is to see a show, play or musical. I love the glitz, grandeur and witnessing raw talent on stage! This challenge is dedicated to these wonderful locations and my favourite shows.

This is a one book task. Pick any option.
Required: Indicate the option you chose.

Option 1: Melbourne, Australia
“Wicked” tells the life story of Alphaba (“Wicked Witch of the West” from the “Wizard of Oz”) from her point of view and the story becomes infinitely more complex!

For this task, read a book with a Main Page Genre of “Retellings”. The genre may be stand alone or embedded.

Option 2: London, United Kingdom
In London we got some discounted tickets to “The Play That Goes Wrong” on a whim and were very pleased.

For this task, read a book written by an author whose first and last initials can be found in THE PLAY THAT WENT WRONG. Letters may only be used as many times as they appear in the target phrase. Middle names/initials may be ignored. If there are multiple authors, ALL author's initials must fit.

Option 3: New York - United States of America
As lifelong Harry Potter fans, we went to see “Puffs”; the story of the plucky characters in Hufflepuff and their adventures during the Harry Potter books.

For this task, read a book with yellow on the cover. The book may have a yellow background or may have a single item that is identifiable yellow. REQUIRED: Include the cover in your post and point out the yellow object.

Examples:
The Help by Kathryn Stockett The Girl With All the Gifts (The Girl With All the Gifts #1) by M.R. Carey - backgrounds are yellow
Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane #2) by Melinda Leigh - letters are yellow
A Sister's Gift by Giselle Green - yellow dress is visible.
The Second Love of My Life by Victoria Walters - yellow sun.

Option 4: Travelling through literature
I love travelling but sometimes money can limit my ability to actually leave the country so I am trying to do this through my reading.

For this task choose a letter from your readerboard name and read a book set at least 50% in a country that begins with that letter. I will be using this List of Countries to determine the countries.

Examples: My readerboard name is WITCHYGAL. So I can read a book set in countries such as I = India, T= Tanzania, C= China etc.

My fictional friend’s readerboard name is UNCLEBUMBLE. They can read a book from U= United States of America, U= United Kingdom, E= Egypt.

Required: State the country.

20.2 - Rookie at the Top - Ashlea's Task: A Few of my Favorite Things
Help Thread
Since this is my first challenge I decided to give you guys a little something about myself, so you can get to know me. So here are some of my favorite things that I enjoy in my life. More like my obsessions.

Please pick a favorite from below and read a book that fits one of the option’s requirements. Your book must have at least 200 pages. REQUIRED: Include in your post the option that you chose.
Books with the MPGs "Sequential Art", "Comics", "Comic Book", and "Manga" are allowed for this task.

1. Video Games. I love to play video games. Console games, PC games. It doesn't matter. I love gaming.

Pick an option below and read a book that meets the requirements.

A.) Read a book from one of these lists. REQUIRED: Please indicate which list you chose and on what page you found the book.
LitRPG
Video Game Novels/Trades
Books About Video Games and Virtual Reality
OR

B.) Read a book by a single author, where the author's initials can be found in the words VIDEO GAMES. Letters can only be used as many times as they appear. Middle initials can be ignored. Space determines names.

2. Zombies are a huge obsession for me, thanks to The Walking Dead. Now I will read, watch, and play anything zombie.

A.) Read a book from one of these lists. REQUIRED: Please indicate which list you chose and on what page you found the book.
Zombies!
Best Zombie Books
OR

B.) Read a book with Zombie as the Goodreads main page genre- genre may be stand alone or embedded. For example Horror> zombie

3. Photography is a great hobby of mine. I have been taking photos since I was 11 years old, and portrait photography is one of my favorites. I love being able to put so much emotion and feeling into the portraits.
Portrait is defined as a painting, drawing, photograph, or engraving of a person, especially one depicting only the face or head and shoulders.

A.) Read a book from this list
Best Portraits on Covers
REQUIRED: Please indicate the page on which you found the book.

OR

B.) Read a book with a portrait on the cover. This portrait can be male or female, but it must be a portrait. Nothing full body and nothing below the waist can be showing. It must only have one person on the cover. The full face must be present in the portrait. Parts of the face may be obscured by hair, mask, glasses, etc., but at least 50% of the face must be showing.

REQUIRED: Please post the cover when claiming the task.

Examples:
Acceptable:
Acne, Asthma, and Other Signs You Might Be Half Dragon by Rena Rocford The Abused Werewolf Rescue Group by Catherine Jinks All the Truth That's in Me by Julie Berry

Not acceptable:
Acid by Emma Pass Alice in Zombieland (White Rabbit Chronicles, #1) by Gena Showalter Anne & Henry by Dawn Ius The Awakening (Darkest Powers, #2) by Kelley Armstrong

20.3 - Best Review - TrishhartUK's Task: Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version of The War of the Worlds
Help Thread
Okay, so a slight stretch for this season’s theme, but I have seen it on stage, and it does have “musical” in the title! This classic prog rock concept album is one of my all-time favourites. The original recording was released forty years ago, in June 1978, and is one of the top-50 best-selling UK albums of all time. Read one book from one of the following options. REQUIRED: State the option you chose.

Option1: The album is based on the classic HG Wells science fiction story. Read a book with the MPG Classics, standalone or embedded.

Option 2: The original cast comprised: Richard Burton, Justin Hayward, David Essex, Chris Thompson, Phil Lynott, Julie Covington, and Jerry Wayne. Read a book whose author shares a first or last name with Jeff Wayne, or one of the original performers. The names must be identical, with two exceptions: Philip can be used as well as Phil, and Christopher can be used as well as Chris. One qualifying author in a book with multiple authors is fine.

Option 3: In 2006, Jeff Wayne took “The War of the Worlds” on tour for the first time, with a projection of Richard Burton as the Journalist. I was lucky enough to see it at Wembley Arena, and it was quite a sight, especially the 35ft tall Martian tripod. Its mix of rock and classical music is played live by, respectively, the Black Smoke Band and the ULLAdubULLA orchestra.

Read a book where the initial letters of all the words in the title (but not the subtitle, and including articles, but ignoring numbers written as numbers) can be found in EITHER BLACK SMOKE BAND or ULLADUBULLA ORCHESTRA (but not a combination of both). The title must have at least 3 words.

Option 4: In 2012, Jeff Wayne decided to update the album with a more modern sound and feel, and new cast members such as Liam Neeson, Joss Stone and Gary Barlow, who would be better known to younger audiences. The new version was released as “Jeff Wayne’s War of the Worlds – The New Generation”.

Read a book with the MPG Retellings, standalone or embedded.

20.4 - Golden Oldies - Heather's Task: A few of my favorite bookish websites
Help Thread
When I am not actually reading, I am most often online reading about books. This task is dedicated to some of my favorite sites.
This is a one book Task.
Choose one of the Options below. REQUIRED: State in your post the option that you chose.

Option 1: Literature-Map
This site has helped me find some great authors I might not otherwise have found.
For this option, choose one of your favorite authors.
Go to the Literature Map website and type in the name of the author you have chosen. The Website will display other authors who are similar. The closer the name is to the center, the more similar it will be. Read a book written by one of the similar authors displayed. This author should be new to you.Your book must be solely authored and not co-written or part of an anthology.
REQUIRED: Include in your post the name of your favorite author that you started with and that you have not previously read anything by the new author you found on the literature map.

Option 2: Bookish News
Two sites I like to visit to get news about upcoming books, read reviews, author news, or news about books awards are Book Riot and The Millions
For this option read a book whose author's initials can be found in either BOOK RIOT or THE MILLIONS
Middle initials may be ignored. If a book is written by more than one author, only one author's initials need to fit the task.

Option 3: Book Blogs
I read a number of great book blogs, but the very first Book Blog I ever started following was Beth Fish Reads
For this option read a book that has been reviewed on Beth Fish Reads
REQUIRED: Indicate which tab you found your book (2008-2013, 2014-2015, 2016-2017 or the date of review if it is a 2018 Review)

message 5: by SRC Moderator (last edited Jun 13, 2018 04:43AM) (new)

20.5 - Bigger is Better - Perletwo's Task: If Not For Bad Luck...
Help Thread
July 2018 includes one of the unluckiest days on the calendar: Friday the 13th. Fridays have been considered unlucky since ancient times, and the number 13's bad-luck rep supposedly dates back to the Last Supper, which had 13 at the table - 12 of them faithful, and one a traitor.

This is a one-book task. Choose a book to fit one of these options. REQUIRED: state which option you choose when you post the task.

1. In honor of the unlucky number, read a book that is number 1, 3, or 13 in a series. Its series placement should be listed on the book's Goodreads main page.

2. Friday the 13th is now synonymous with a successful movie franchise (and one television series). To honor those films, read a book with the Goodreads main page genre Horror. The genre may be stand-alone or embedded.

3. This day isn't merely unsettling; it's produced a clinical phobia. Note the fear of Friday the 13th by reading a book with a single author whose initials can be found in the term FRIGGATRISKAIDEKAPHOBIA. Middle initials may be ignored. Letters may be used only as often as they occur in the term.

20.6 Seasoned Reader – Balletbookworm’s task: Ballet Slippers and Books
Help Thread
This is my first time designing an SRC task and I’m so excited that it happened during this season! If you haven’t already guessed from my SRC board name, I love dance and I love books. I read far more than I dance these days (my knees and back are decades older than the rest of me at this point) but I still give myself a little ballet barre in the kitchen to scratch that dancing itch.

Choose one of the following options and read one book that fits the parameters. Required: State the option you chose. Books with the genres "Sequential Art", "Comics", "Comic Book", and "Manga," etc. are allowed for this task.

Option 1: Cherie’s Dance Studio
My parents enrolled me in my first dance class at age 3 – a little stomping around in tap shoes, flitting around in soft ballet slippers…I was hooked! My very first teacher was Cherie, the studio owner, and I took lessons from her until I was in college. Cherie not only gave me a solid dance foundation, she gave me my first job.

In honor of Cherie’s 75th birthday – she’s still teaching and her studio is in its 47th year of operation – read a book written by a single author whose initials are found in CHERIE CHITTENDEN. ALL initials count. Letters may be used only as often as they occur.

If using a book with genres "Sequential Art", "Comics", "Comic Book", and "Manga," etc. for this option, the author and illustrator must be the same person.

Option 2: Choreography
I minored in dance at the University of Iowa. The Dance Department has a highly respected MFA program in choreography, particularly in modern and contemporary dance. Every semester was packed with rehearsals and performances of brand-new pieces by undergraduates, graduate students, and faculty in every style and discipline you could think of.

For this option, read a book with a title of two or more words where the initial letter of each word can be found in CHOREOGRAPHY. Subtitles are excluded; letters may be used only as often as they occur.

Option 3: “A Case of the Knee-zles”
My favorite dance professor at the UI was Basil Thompson, who taught ballet and character dance and had a gift for dry-witted Britishisms. (If he said you had a “case of the knee-zles” then you might want to start straightening your leg in arabesque.) Basil was the original Billy Eliot, born in Manchester, England, and awarded a scholarship to train at the Royal Ballet School in the 1950s. He danced with many of the great ballet dancers of the twentieth century at both the Royal Ballet and American Ballet Theatre before retiring. He served as the artistic director of Milwaukee Ballet, then became a professor of ballet at the UI. Basil passed away in 2005.

In his memory, read a book FIRST published between 1940 and 2005 (years inclusive) AND set at least 50% in England. REQUIRED: if the setting is not obvious from the Goodreads description or metadata, please provide a reference.

Option 4: Do it with style
I’m a die-hard bunhead at heart, but all dance styles and forms are my catnip. Although I started out taking tap and ballet lessons, I soon added jazz classes. And lyrical classes. And pointe-work intensives. And modern and ballroom and hip-hop. By the time I finished with undergrad and grad school I had even managed to take classes in theatrical character dance, bhangra, kathak, flamenco, Lebanese belly dancing, Afro-Cuban, and one pole-dancing class (which I took sort-of as a joke but let me tell you how hard it is to spin around a pole with any grace and NOT make an idiot of oneself, spoiler, it is very hard).

For this option, read a book with a main character who is either a dance student or a working dancer in any dance discipline. REQUIRED: if the area of study or profession is not obvious from the Goodreads description or metadata, please link to a reference or provide a quote from the book.

BONUS karma points: Attend a live dance performance or watch a dance video.
EVEN MORE karma points: take a dance class of any kind! <3

20.7 - Shorter is Sweeter - Bookwrm526's Task: I DO have a sense of humor!!
Help Thread
My husband argues that I don’t have a sense of humor, because there are certain movies he calls classics that I just don’t find funny. The options for this task are loosely inspired by those movies. This is a one book task, so pick from any of the following options:
Required: Indicate the option in your post.

Option 1: Airplane! He thinks this movie is hilarious and will watch it any time it’s on television. There is only one line in the entire movie that makes me laugh. Since this movie is supposedly full of hilarious puns and witty repartee, for this option read a book with a pun in the title.
This list may give you some ideas: Puns in Titles
REQUIRED: state the "classic" phrase that inspired the twist. For example, "we'll always have Paris" and We'll Always Have Parrots.

Option 2: Spaceballs. This is another one with a lot of supposedly snappy dialog that he subjects me to on a regular basis, but I just don’t find funny, though I do find it moderately more amusing than Airplane! For this option, read a book set at least 50% aboard a space ship.
Examples: Across the Universe, The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet.
REQUIRED: If the setting is not clear from the Goodreads summary, please include information that establishes the setting.

Option 3: Caddyshack. I don’t understand this one at all, but he and his best friend trade quotes from it all the time. I usually just roll my eyes and ignore them. Since this one is set on a golf course, play 18 holes and read a book where the number of pages includes the digits 1 and 8, in any order.

message 6: by SRC Moderator (last edited Jun 05, 2018 06:30AM) (new)

20.8 - Nickels and Dimes - Sara G's Task: Florida
Help Thread
For this task, read one book that fulfills one of the options below. REQUIRED: Please state which option you chose when posting your completed task.

My home town is at the beach in Florida. It's fun to travel, but I love living here! Since this is my first time creating a task for the SRC and it's summer, I thought my home would be the perfect theme. Choose one of the following options:

Option A: Emerald Coast
I live in northwest Florida and our beaches are colloquially called the Emerald Coast, after the color of the water in the Gulf of Mexico here. Read a book with a cover that is predominantly green (at least 50%). REQUIRED: Include the cover in your post.
Examples:
These work - Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer The Awakening by Kate Chopin I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2) by Maggie Stiefvater

Not green enough: Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1) by Rachel Hawkins - only the dress is green, not 50% of cover; The Lemoncholy Life of Annie Aster by Scott Wilbanks - mostly yellow, less than 50% green; Confederates in the Attic Dispatches from the Unfinished Civil War by Tony Horwitz - the green isn't 50% of cover.

Option B: Air Conditioning
The heat and humidity here can be brutal in the summer, so it's no surprise that Florida didn't become a populous state until air conditioning became widely available. Read a book by a single author whose initials can be found in the phrase AIR CONDITIONING. Middle names/initials can be ignored.

Option C: Hurricanes
One of the scariest things about coastal living in Florida is the risk of hurricanes. Hurricane season is officially June 1st through December 1st. I have the National Hurricane Center website bookmarked, and we always keep an eye on the weather forecast. Read a book that was first published in June of any year.
REQUIRED: The first publication date must be included in the GR record.

20.9 - Moderators' Pet - E Murphy's Task: The Dog Days of Summer
Help Thread
Happy Summer 2018! I am looking forward to enjoying the Dog Days of summer by the pool with a good book! Read one book that fits one of the following options:

Option 1: Dog Days - Read a book with a title/subtitle that has two words that start with the letter “D”

Option 2: Read a book from one of these dog lover lists:
Great Dog Books
Dog Lovers List

If choosing this option, make sure the book meets the requirements of the Seasonal Reading Challenge.
REQUIRED: Please include which list you use and the page on which your book is found.

Even though it is hot and sunny, I still love a chilling, dark mystery in the summer.

Option 3: Read a book with a main page genre of Mystery. Genre may be stand-alone or embedded.
Happy Reading!

20.10 - Group Reads
Help Thread
Read ONE of the books selected as the Group Reads choices for the season:

Romantic Suspense - My Cousin Rachel
Discussion Thread

Hard Science Fiction - Dark Matter
Discussion Thread

Non-Fiction - Psychology - The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and Other Clinical Tales
Discussion Thread

REQUIRED: You must participate in the book's discussion thread with at least one post about the contents of the book or your reaction to the book after you have read the book.

message 7: by SRC Moderator (last edited Jun 03, 2018 10:50AM) (new)

25 point tasks

25.1 Andy P’s Task: Remembering Sue Grafton
Help Thread
General requirements
1.This is a two book task. Read one book which fulfills the requirements for Book 1, and another which fulfills the requirements for Book 2.
2. No book which has children’s as a main page genre may be used for this task.
3. The total page count for both books must be in excess of 600 pages (at least 601).
4. Each book must be written by a single author.

Sue Grafton was one of the first writers to feature a strong female protagonist, Kinsey Millhone, a private detective. Her series of what came to be known as The Alphabet Mysteries almost made it through the alphabet. Grafton never allowed any of her books to be made into movies and kept her protagonist living in the 1980’s because she felt that that the activities that Kinsey engaged in required that her sleuth remain youthful.
In Grafton’s honor I have created the following task:

Book 1. Read a book in which the author’s initials can be found in SUEGRAFTON. All initials count.

Book 2. Read a book whose title does NOT contain any of the letters in the phrase ONLY NO Z (LNOYZ). Subtitles can be ignored.

25.2 - Nick KY’s Task: This Summer’s Theme, more or less
Help Thread
For this task, read books from two different options dealing (somewhat) with this season, its theme, and its group reads categories. If the option requires a genre, it may be alone or imbedded.

REQUIRED: State which Options you choose.

Option A. Other Theaters. Since many theatrical arenas and stages now only stand in ruins, and since a medical operating room was originally called a “theater,” read a nonfiction book which meets SRC guidelines which has at least one of the following mainpage GR genres:

“Medicine”
“Health”
“History”
“Archaeology.”

Option B. More Summer Refreshment. Read a book with a beverage in a drinking glass, cup or mug on its cover. We must see the beverage, steam rising from it, or a foam on top to insure that the liquid is there. Open bottles with the beverage visible will work, but not unopened ones."

Some examples that work: The Espressologist by Kristina Springer , The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens , If the River Was Whiskey by T.C. Boyle , Latte Trouble (Coffeehouse Mystery, #3) by Cleo Coyle .

REQUIRED: Include the cover in your post.

Option C. The Present reflects the Past. My first challenge with the SRC was the Spring of 2011. Reflecting to that past challenge, I find that the Group Reads categories were amazingly similar to this challenge’s Group Reads Categories. They were:

“Love Stories”
“Biography, Autobiography, Memoir”
“Science Fiction.”

So for this option you may go back and read a winner or nominee from the Spring 2011 Group Reads. You may read any single entry in a series which has one book listed.

The links above will take you to the poll results for each category.

REQUIRED: State the category. If you are reading a book in a series and that specific book is not on the list, specify the book of that series that was on the list.

Option D. Summer at the Gulf. Many U.S. citizens head for the Gulf of Mexico for a summer vacation. Read a book with at least three words in the title, the first letter of each word beginning with a letter from:

THE GULF OF MEXICO.

Letters may be used only as often as they appear in the target phrase. Subtitles may be ignored.

25.3 - Diana K’s Task: Hamilton
Help Thread
A few years ago the innovative musical Hamilton caused quite a sensation on Broadway becoming the must-have ticket, breaking box office records, and bringing to prominence an often forgotten founding father . Blending hip hop music, ballads, jazz, show tunes and more into the Broadway format to tell a story that blends history and current events with a non-traditional cast, Hamilton is a once-in-a-generation phenomenon that won 11 Tony awards and the Pulitzer Prize. And being a booklover, how can I not love the fact that its creator, Lin-Manuel Miranda, was inspired to create the musical after reading a biography of Alexander Hamilton, by Ron Chernow, while on vacation.

While I haven’t been lucky enough yet to get tickets to see it, I have seen several of the musical numbers performed on TV and I love listening to the soundtrack.

This is a two-book task. Read one book from two different options.
REQUIRED: Identify which options you select when you post.
No books with the genre Childrens or Kids may be used.

Option 1: Lin-Manuel Miranda wrote a rap about Hamilton after reading his biography that he performed at the White House in 2009. That rap developed into the opening number for the musical. You can see the lyrics here.
Read a book whose title/subtitle contains a word of at least four letters from the first six paragraphs of the lyrics (through to the first part where Alexander Hamilton sings.) The word must match exactly. REQUIRED: State the word that you are using

Option 2: Read a book (fiction or nonfiction) about one of these major characters in the play or where the character has a major role in the book: Alexander Hamilton, Eliza Schuyler, Angelica Schuyler, Aaron Burr, George Washington, King George III, Marquis de Lafayette, or Thomas Jefferson. REQUIRED: If it is not apparent from the title or the description, please explain how the character has a major role.

Option 3: A memorable line from the lyrics is “Immigrants, we get the job done.” Alexander Hamilton was born in the British West Indies. Lin-Manuel Miranda is of Puerto Rican ancestry. Read a book set at least 75% in the Caribbean. For purposes of this task, use the list found here to determine the appropriate locations.
REQUIRED: If it is not apparent from the description or metadata, please provide a reference for the setting.

Option 4: Read a book where the Title/subtitle contains all of the letters in HAMILTON.

Option 5: Hamilton: An American Musical first opened in New York City in 2015. After its smashing success there, productions were opened in London and Chicago. Read a book set at least 50% in one of these three cities. REQUIRED: If it is not apparent from the description or metadata, please provide a reference for the setting. Specify the city in which your book is set.

25.4 - Rina's Task: 2018 FIFA World Cup
Help Thread
This summer the largest and the most prestigious soccer tournament - The FIFA World Cup - takes place. It will be held from 14 June to 15 July 2018 and will involve 32 national teams.

This is a 2 book task. Choose 2 different options and read a book for each. REQUIRED: State which options you choose.

The books must have a combined total of at least 600 pages.

Option 1: Read a book with a main page genre of sports. Genre may be standalone or embedded.
Examples: Born to Run A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen by Christopher McDougall The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach

Option 2: The 2018 FIFA World Cup will be the 21st FIFA World Cup. Read a book from a series that has 21 or more primary books (without counting .5 books - whole numbers only) in it. For example The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot #1) by Agatha Christie - Hercule Poirot series has more than 21 primary works. Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5) by J.D. Robb - In Death series has more than 21 primary works.

Option 3: The 2018 FIFA World Cup is scheduled to be held in 11 cities in Russia, making use of 12 venues. Read a book with a setting (city/state/province/country*) that starts with a letter from RUSSIA.
Examples: The Decameron by Giovanni Boccaccio - set in Italy. Under the Banner of Heaven A Story of Violent Faith by Jon Krakauer - set in Utah.

*USA and UK may not be used as a country - you may use a book set e.g. in San Francisco or in Arizona, but you can't use a book that is set in Boston (B and M are not in RUSSIA).

REQUIRED: If it is not apparent from the description or metadata, please provide a reference for the setting.

Option 4: I've been watching World Cups since 2002 and last time (in 2014) my favourite team (Germany) has finally won. Some of the major persons in the German team were:

Joachim Löw - head coach
Philipp Lahm - team captain
Manuel Neuer - Golden Glove award winner for being the best goalkeeper in the tournament
Miroslav Klose - top goalscorer in the history of the FIFA World Cup
Mario Götze - scored the winning goal in the final game against Argentina.

Read a book by a single author who shares his/her first and last initials with one of these persons. Middle initials should be ignored.
Example: The Good Girl by Mary Kubica - author shares initials with Miroslav Klos. Initials may be in reversed order. Example: A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin - author shares initials with Mario Gotze.

message 8: by SRC Moderator (last edited Jun 05, 2018 06:19PM) (new)

25.5 - Danibean's Task: Have You Thanked a Stage Manager Today?
Help Thread
I worked for many years, through high school, college and beyond, as a stage manager. Live theatre can be an incredibly thrilling, challenging, silly, grueling, fun place to work. But, for those of us behind the scenes of it all, we rarely get to take a curtain call. So this task is inspired by all the designers, stage hands, production crew, and stage managers out there!

This is a two book task. The total page numbers for the two books must equal at least 600 pages. Choose two different options from those listed below and read one book for each. REQUIRED: state the options you choose.

Option 1: Stage crew must do their best to become invisible while onstage changing set pieces. For this reason, the common uniform for stage hands is head-to-toe black.

For this option, read a book with a cover that includes only the colors black, white and/or grey. No other colors may be present on the cover of the book. REQUIRED: include the cover in your post.

Option 2: There’s lots of different jargon flying around when a stage manager calls a show. Choose one of the terms listed here and read a book by a single author whose first and last initials appear in that word. Middle names/initials may be ignored, letters may only be used as often as they appear in the word chose. REQUIRED: state the word you used.

BLOCKING, STRIKE, SPIKE MARKS, CROSSOVER, CUE TO CUE, FIGHT CALL, FLY RAIL, STAND BY

Option 3: Thornton Wilder’s famous play Our Town includes the Stage Manager as a character, setting the scene throughout the play. For this option, read a book that includes in the title or subtitle one of the words from the excerpt of Stage Manager dialogue below. The word must be at least 4 letters, and match exactly the word in the quote. REQUIRED: state the word you used.

“We all know that something is eternal. And it ain’t houses and it ain’t names, and it ain’t earth, and it ain’t even stars. . . everybody knows in their bones that something is eternal, and that something has to do with human beings. All the greatest people ever lived have been telling us that for five thousand years and yet you’d be surprised how people are always losing hold of it. There’s something way down deep that’s eternal about every human being."

Option 4: You can even get a degree in Stage Management! Broadwayworld.com provides a list of colleges that offer the Bachelor of Fine Arts in Stage Management . For this option, read a book set at least 50% in a state that where one of these colleges are located. States: California, Florida, Illinois, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Utah, Virginia, Washington.

REQUIRED: Include the name of the state you chose. If the setting state is not obvious from the information on the Goodreads main page, you are required to provide additional supporting information to confirm the setting.

Option 5: The stage manager works closely with all members of the production staff, but the closest always will be the director. For this task, read a book where the protagonist (the main character, who drives the action in the book) has the same first or last name as one of the directors who have been nominated for or won a Tony Award for Best Direction of a Musical or Best Direction of a Play from 2010 to today. Names must match exactly, but can be in any position - for instance, director Nicholas Martin can be used with a protagonist whose first name is Martin. REQUIRED: state the name of the director and the year they were nominated or won.

If the character’s name is not obvious from the Goodreads book information, you must provide additional information to confirm the character name.

Here are links to accurate lists for the names of directors:
Tony Award for Best Direction of a Musical
Tony Award for Best Direction of a Play

Optional task – next time you see a play or musical, look behind you to the “booth” at the back of the audience and give the stage manager a wave!

25.6 - Diane Whitney's: Pure Michigan!
Help Thread
It’s summertime in northern Michigan! Due to its proximity to the Great Lakes, Michigan is a very cloudy state, averaging only 180 full days of sunshine per year. We have especially gray winter and spring seasons due to lake effect clouds and snow.

To “celebrate” the sun’s appearance, choose two different options and read a book that fulfills the requirements for each. REQUIRED: State which options you choose.

No book with the genre "Children's" or "Kid's" on the book's Good Reads main page may be used for this task.
The COMBINED total of both books must be at least 500 pages.

Option 1 - The Mitten: Michigan is the only state to consist of two peninsulas. The lower peninsula is often noted to be shaped like a mitten.
Read a book with a mitten or mittens (not a glove or gloves) on the cover. REQUIRED: Include the cover in your post.

Trivia! (view spoiler)

Option 2 - The U.P.: The upper peninsula, often referred to as “the U.P.” is separated from the lower peninsula by the Straits of Mackinac (pronounced Mac-i-naw) and connected by the Mackinac Bridge.
Read a book by a single author whose name contains both the letters U and P.

Trivia! (view spoiler)

Option 3 - The Motor City: Michigan is widely known as the center of the U.S. automotive industry, being home to the headquarters of the country’s three major automobile companies: General Motors, Ford and Chrysler, often referred to as the “Big Three”.
Read a book that is #3 in a series. It must be identified as #3 in a series in the Goodreads metadata, “Title” (series name #3).

Trivia! (view spoiler)

Option 4 - The Great Lakes: Michigan is bordered by 4 of the 5 Great Lakes (Erie, Huron, Michigan and Superior). The acronym “HOMES” is an easy way to remember the 5 lakes (Huron, Ontario, Michigan, Erie, Superior).
Read a book whose title begins with any of the letters H, O, M, E or S.

Trivia! (view spoiler)

Option 5 - Pure Michigan: “Pure Michigan” is a very popular and successful advertising campaign for the state of Michigan voiced by Tim Allen to promote travel and tourism.
Read a book set entirely (“Pure”-ly) in the state of Michigan. REQUIRED: If it is not evident from the book's page, please provide a reference for the setting.

Trivia! (view spoiler)

25.7 - Meg SCL:My next favourite book
Help Thread
I am going to use this opportunity to create a task for the purely selfish purpose of finding my next favourite book. Please read two books from two different options below. Each book must have a minimum of 200 pages.
REQUIRED: State the options that you chose.

But the tricky part is, you can't read a book I've already read (that wouldn't be much help to me!), so make sure your book is not on my read shelf as of the start of the summer challenge (books on this shelf with a read date of June 1 2018 or later are OK).
Books with the MPGs "Sequential Art", "Comics", "Comic Book", and "Manga" are allowed for this task.

Option 1: I love a good futuristic dystopian novel. Read a book with the main page genre dystopia (embedded genres OK).

Option 2: Some of my favourite novels are historical fiction, but I'm a bit over modern history. Read a book (fiction) set before 1900. At least two thirds of the book must take place in this time period.

Option 3: Why not mix the future and the past? Read a book that features time travel. It must be clear from the goodreads description or metadata that time travel is involved.

Option 4: I always like to try the latest award winning novel. Read a book that has won any award (must be listed in the book's goodreads metadata) in 2013 or later.

Option 5: Now that I'm a mum, I'll need to find some good kids books to read. Read a book that meets SRC requirements with the main page genre of kids or children.

message 9: by SRC Moderator (last edited Jun 06, 2018 03:16PM) (new)

30 point tasks:
30.1 – Schatzie’s Task: Limited Exposure
Help Thread
This is a two book task. Pick 2 different options and read a book for each. REQUIRED: Indicate the options you chose. Enjoy!

Opt. 1: Growing up in a small city, I had limited exposure to performing arts….but we had movies. I worked for a movie theatre the year “E. T. the Extra-Terrestrial” came out. Being the cashier on opening night, I had never seen such a sight. The lines to get in were wrapped around the building twice. It was crazy insane.

For this option, read a book with the MPG of “Aliens”, stand alone or embedded, or a book from one of the following lists: Aliens First Contact or Alien Protagonists

OR
a book with a nonhuman or stereotypical sci-fi alien on the cover.

These work: Alien Out of the Shadows (Canonical Alien trilogy, #1) by Tim Lebbon Aliens Earth Hive by Steve Perry Martians, Go Home by Fredric Brown Extra-Terrestrials Among Us by George C. Andrews .
These don't work: Alien Mate (Alien Mate, #1) by Eve Langlais I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1) by Pittacus Lore

REQUIRED: If using a list, indicate which list and the page of the list on which your book is found. Include the cover if using the cover option.

Opt. 2: I was living in Munich Germany when I saw my first "real" theatrical production and it was an opera. I didn't even like opera, but I was completely mesmerized by this performance. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. The opera was “Rigoletto”.

For this option, read a book with a word beginning with R and a word ending in O in the title/subtitle. This can be one word, or two separate words.
Example: Rocket Men: The Daring Odyssey of Apollo 8 and the Astronauts Who Made Man's First Journey to the Moon - Rocket starts with R, Apollo ends with O.
REQUIRED: State your word or words.

Opt. 3: If I had to pick my favorite Broadway musical that completely knocked my socks off, it would have to be “Lion King”. The costumes were absolutely incredible (especially the elephant and giraffe), and so was the musical talent.

For this option, read a book that is set at least 50% in Africa.

Opt. 4: Shortly after I was married, Ballet West (a professional ballet company from Salt Lake City) came to Anchorage, Alaska and performed “The Nutcracker”. Again, I didn’t think I was a fan of ballet but I loved that performance. It was beautifully done.

For this option, read a book by an author whose initials can be found in NUTCRACKER. All initials need to be present.

30.2 - Booklover's Task: Contrasts
Help Thread
Please choose one option and read two books that fulfil the requirements. REQUIRED: Indicate in your post the option you chose.

1 - Now and Then
Read two books published one hundred years apart. Only the publication year need be considered, not the precise date or month of publication.

Example: The Hand of Ethelberta (1876) and Interview with the Vampire (1976)

2 - Here and There
Read two books originally written in languages from two different language families, or which are language isolates. The Ethnologue list of language families here should be used to identify which family a language belongs to.

If you click on the link for each language family, you will find out more information about it, including languages within each family. For instance, in the Indo-European language family, you'll find Spanish, Hindustani, English, French, Portugese…………….

Examples: Forest of a Thousand Daemons: A Hunter's Saga (written in Yoruba from the Niger-Congo family) and The Vegetarian (written in Korean, a language isolate); The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle (written in Japanese, from the Japonic family) and Love and Ruin (written in English, from the Indo-European family).

REQUIRED: Specify the language family of each of your books. If the original language of the book is not clear from the Goodreads main page of the book, please provide a reference to establish the language in which the book was originally written.

30.3 - JennRenee's Task: New Discoveries to New Favorites
Help Thread
One thing I love about during the Seasonal Reading Challenge is the discovering new things. Since I have started doing this challenge (years and years ago) I have discovered some new genres that have become some of my favorite.
Most Recently: Cozy Mystery, Western, and Space Opera.
So this task will focus on these particular favorites of mine.

This is a 2 book task.

Sequential Art, Comics, Comic Book, and Manga are allowed.

Book 1: Over the years I have read some great books for these genres, discovered twists on the genres, and found many I haven’t been able to read yet. This is my shelf of those I have loved and others I have yet to read.

For book 1, choose a book from this list. If the book is part of a series, you may read any book from that series. REQUIRED: If you read a different book in a series, include in your post the name of the book that is on the list.

JennRenee's Shelf

Book 2: Choose a genre and read a book for that option. REQUIRED: Indicate in your post the genre you chose.
a) Cozy Mystery: Read a book with a single author whose initials can be found in COZY MYSTERY. Letters can be used as many times as they appear, middle initials may be ignored.

b) Western: Read a book with a title of two or more words and the initial letter of each word in the title can be found in WESTERN.

c) Space Opera: Read a book with one of these words found in the title, subtitle, or series name. Plurals and possessives are allowed but no other variations: Moon, Space, Star, Ship, Planet, World, Universe

30.4 - Dlmrose's Task: It's In the DNA
Help Thread
DNA is stored as a code made up of four chemicals that form base pairs: adenine (A) with thymine (T) AT or TA and cytosine (C) with guanine (G), CG or GC.

Read 2 books

Book 1: Read a book written by a single author with first and last name initials that match the adenine-thymine pair initials AT or TA or the cytosine-guanine initials CG or GC. examples: AT= Amor Towles, TA = Tim Akers, CG = Christopher Golden , GC = Glen Cook

Book 2: Read a book with consecutive words in the TITLE that begin with the adenine-thymine pair initials AT or TA or the cytosine-guanine initials CG or GC.
examples: AT = The Truth of All Things, TA = Thin Air, CG = Code Girls: The Untold Story of the American Women Code Breakers Who Helped Win World War II, GC = Grand Cayman Slam

message 10: by SRC Moderator (last edited May 24, 2018 09:51AM) (new)

30.5 - Mazza1's Task: Spectacular/Vernacular
Help Thread
In every season there are tasks that I sigh over thinking what on earth will I read for that. Last Season one of those tasks asked for a Non-fiction book with a building on the cover. I chose a book, available from the library and as short as could be. It turned out to be one of the most interesting reads of the season - This book was Spectacular Vernacular: London's 100 Most Extraordinary Buildings
and forms the basis of my task this season. So thank you to Catherine T for that Spring task and the idea for this one.

Do you interpret what you see primarily through visual means or through language? For instance, if you see a beautiful landscape are you more likely to explain it verbally / in the written word or would you create a visual representation? Try and let the way you interpret what you see guide the option you choose.

• Read 2 books that fit different tasks in the SAME option.
• Each book must be at least 275 pages
• One must be Non- Fiction (you can read 2 non-fiction but not 2 Fiction)

OPTION 1 – SPECTACULAR
a) One of the dictionary definitions of Spectacular is “beautiful in a dramatic and eye-catching way.” Read a book with a fabulous cover from one of these lists
Best Book Covers of 2017
Crazy Beautiful Book Covers
Beautiful Book Cover Design

If the book appears on the list, you do not have to read the edition on the list or an edition with the same cover.

REQUIRED: state which list you have used and the page number if applicable

b) These covers show just how individual and expressive artwork can be so for this option
Read a book with MPG of Art or Photography stand alone or embedded. - Please remember the SRC general rule about
"Coffee table", Art books, and other books consisting primarily of images or photographs. Your book must contain at least 100 pages of text.

c) read a book with all the letters of “SPECTACULAR” in the title / subtitle

OPTION 2 - VERNACULAR
The dictionary definitions of Vernacular include
The language or dialect spoken by the ordinary people of a country or region.
OR terminology used by people belonging to a specified group or engaging in a specialized activity.

a) Read a book with TEXT ONLY on the cover you could use this list for ideas but you are not limited to it. The cover must be plain except for the text - no borders, patterns, etc.
Text Only Covers CAUTION - While this list may give you ideas, many of the books on the list will not work for this task, since the covers have patterns, borders, etc.

REQUIRED – include the cover in your post.

b) read a book with an MPG of “Language” or “Linguistics, “ stand alone or embedded

c) Read a book with all the letters of “VERNACULAR” in the title / subtitle

30.6 - Ava Catherine’s Task: Aida
Help Thread
This is a two book task. Read one book from two different options.

REQUIRED: Identify which options you select when you post.
No books with the genre Childrens or Kids may be used.

Having been introduced to opera at an early age by my Italian grandfather, it has become a true joy in my life. After experiencing Aida for the first time during my early teens, it has remained one of my favorites.

Aida by Giuseppe Verdi
Isma’il Pasha, Khedive of Egypt, commissioned Verdi to compose an opera to celebrate the opening of the Khedivial Opera House. Aida premiered in Cairo on December 24, 1871, to great acclaim. Verdi considered the Italian premiere, held at La Scala, Milan on February 8, 1872, the real premiere, especially because it was open to the general public, which had not been the case in Cairo. Aida was received with great enthusiasm in Milan and was soon performed in major opera houses throughout Italy.

Book 1: Setting
Aida is set in Ancient Egypt, and, of course, Verdi was Italian.
*Read a book with the main page genre Middle East or Italy. Genre may be stand alone or embedded.

Book 2: Composer
*Read a book written by a male author whose first and last name initials can be found in the words GIUSEPPE VERDI. Middle name initials may be ignored. Letters may only be used as often as they appear. Spaces determine name. One qualifying author in a work by multiple contributors works.

Book 3: Aida/Amneris: female lead characters
Aida is an Ethiopian princess, whom the Egyptians hold captive, and Amneris is the daughter of the Egyptian king; both are in love with Radames.
*Read a book written by a female author whose first and last name initials can be found in the words AIDA AMNERIS. Middle name initials may be ignored. Letters may only be used as often as they appear. Spaces determine name. One qualifying author in a work by multiple contributors works.

Book 4: War
In Aida the ancient Egyptians are at war with the Ethiopians.
*Read a book with the main page genre war or historical fiction. Genre may be stand alone or embedded.

Book 5: Italian
My Italian grandfather taught me to love opera and all things Italian. I am so grateful for his patience and this special gift.
*Read a book set at least 50% in Italy or by an author born or currently living in Italy.
REQUIRED: If it is not apparent from the description or metadata, please provide a reference for the setting or author’s birthplace/current location.

30.7 -TessaVanessa’s Task: I “knew” you would love this “new” challenge I came up with.
Help Thread
A homophone is each of two or more words having the same pronunciation but different meanings, origins, or spelling, e.g., new and knew. For this challenge go to: List of Homophones and choose a pair of homophones. Words must match exactly.

Book 1: Read one book with the first word in the title/subtitle/series name
Book 2: Read one book with the second word in the title/subtitle/series name

REQUIRED: Indicate which pair of words you chose.

Example: Aisle and Isle
Book 1: Clearing the Aisle
Book 2:Isle of Swords

30.8 - Sandy's Task: June is a Busy Month!
Help Thread
Two of my children and my grandson have June birthdays - and my new granddaughter is expected in June as well! So, I decided to build this task around them.

Read two books, from different options below. No books with the main page genre Children or Kids may be used. Your two books must have a total of at least 600 pages.

A. My oldest daughter will be a first time mother in June. Read a book from one of the following lists: Novels About Motherhood or Most Influential Parenting Books.

Note that many books on the latter list may include Childrens or Kids as a main page genre - if appropriate, you can request an exemption in the Not Really for Kids thread. Before requesting an exemption, be sure to check the googledoc linked in post 1 for books that have already been approved.

REQUIRED: Include in your post the name of the list used and the page on which your book is found.

B. My son's June birthday often falls on Father's Day. Read a book from the following list:
Fantastic Dads and Father Figures. If the inclusion of some of the books on the list appears somewhat ironic, so be it!

REQUIRED: Include in your post the page on which your book is found.

C. My grandson will be 2 in June. Read a book by a male author that has a 2 in the series number - 2, 12, 21, 22, etc. in a series.

D. While we know that the new June baby is a girl, her name is as yet unknown. I've been calling her Whimsical, as a "placeholder." Read a book by a female author whose initials are found in the word WHIMSICAL. All initials count. Letters can be used only as often as they appear in the target word.

30.9 - Brooke TX's task: Summer (Reading) is Coming
Help Thread
This is a two book task. Choose one of the options below and read Book 1 and Book 2 from that option. Books with the Main Page Genres of Sequential Art, Comics, Comic Book, and Manga can be used for this task. The books must have a combined total of at least 500 pages.

REQUIRED: State which option you chose when you post.

For public librarians, summer is not the season of vacations, it's the season of the madness that is Summer Reading.

OPTION A: BIG READ
This year, we're running a community reading program with a Big Read grant from the NEA.
Book 1: Read a book from the list of Big Read titles.
and
Book 2: Read a book by a single author whose first and last name initials can be found in NEA BIG READ.

OPTION B: LEVEL UP YOUR READING
We also have our all ages reading program, Level Up Your Reading, which involves reading books in different categories in order to earn badges. The summer reading challenge categories are beach reads, books that are #1 in a series, travel books, ebooks, and contemporary fiction.
Book 1: Read a book that can be found on the first 10 pages of one of the following lists:
Popular Beach Read Books
Popular Travel Books
Popular Ebooks
Popular Contemporary Books
Best Series (if you choose this list, you must read the book on the list, not other books in the series).
and
Book 2: Read a book that can be found on the first 10 pages of a different list from your Book 1 selection.
REQUIRED: State which lists you used and the pages on which your books can be found.

OPTION C: YOUTH DEPARTMENT
Of course, the vast majority of summer reading events are for all the kids out on summer break! We have a separate selection of Level Up challenges and badges for our younger readers.
Book 1: Read a book with a main page genre of Young Adult, Childrens, or Middle Grade. Be sure your book meets SRC requirements, and include the ARBookFinder info if necessary.
and
Book 2: Read a book with a main page genre of Sequential Art, Comics, or Graphic Novel.

message 11: by SRC Moderator (last edited Jul 15, 2018 05:29AM) (new)

50.1 - Julia103's Task: Do Re Mi
Help Thread

One of my favorite musicals is The Sound of Music. This task is based on the song "Do-Re-Mi" where Maria teaches the Von Trapp children the basics of singing. Here's a link to the song!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k33ZQ...

This is a 3 book task. The three books must have a combined page total of at least 750 pages. No books with the main page genre childrens or kids may be used.

Book 1: Read a book where the first word of the title starts with one of the solfege syllables: DO, RE, MI, FA, SOL, LA or TI. All words count.

Examples: Double Indemnity (DO), Ready Player One (RE), Miss Buncle's Book (MI), Farthing (FA).

Won't work: The Double Helix, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, A Million Miles Away, 100 Facts about Pandas

Book 2: Read a book whose title/subtitle includes one of following words used in the song:
DOE, RAY, ME, FAR, SEW, LA, or TEA
The word must match exactly, and must stand alone.

Examples: Sew Deadly (SEW), Looking for La La (LA), Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace ... One School at a Time (TEA).

Won't work: The Florabama Ladies' Auxiliary and Sewing Circle, L.A. Confidential, The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul

NOTE: The word used in the title/subtitle of book 2 need not be related to the initial syllable used for book 1, and the word need not have the same meaning as in the song.

Book 3: Read a book where the author's first name matches one of the Von Trapp children or the English equivalent given in parentheses. Names must match exactly - no variations. A book with multiple authors works if one of the authors matches one of the listed names.

Liesl (Lisa)
Friedrich (Frederick)
Louisa (Louise)
Kurt (Curt)
Brigitta (Bridget)
Marta (Martha)
Gretl (Gretel or Greta)

Examples: A Secret History of Witches by Louisa Morgan; LaRose by Louise Erdrich.

Won't work: My Berlin Kitchen: A Love Story (with Recipes) by Luisa Weiss; Maids of Misfortune by M. Louisa Locke.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.