You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Second Star To The Right
This topic is about Second Star To The Right
Group Themed Reads: Discussions > August 2014 - Second Star to the Right Discussion

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by AmyK (new)

AmyK (yakyma) | 1044 comments Discuss Second star to the Right here :)

message 2: by Ava Catherine (last edited Aug 01, 2014 10:13PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments I feel so much pity for Faye and her children. My heart just breaks for these little kids who are obviously trying to be brave in the face of a traumatic past. I think they are very fortunate to have come to Wendy's house. I wonder how Jack fits into all this since he is definitely connected to Wendy because he saw the ball of light.

Casceil | 2623 comments As it turns out, we find out later on that Jack has a connection to Wendy even Jack isn't aware of, but I don't think that's why he sees the ball of light.

Casceil | 2623 comments I really enjoy the way the author has incorporated "The Secret Garden" as the children's project.

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments Yes, that is lovely about the garden.

(view spoiler)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 1282 comments Think Tinker Bell girls.

I read this lovely book last month and recommended to many of you in YLTO - I about fell off my chair when it was selected as a Group read =)

My Review

No it doesn't contain spoilers! I just loved Maddie and Tom. I couldn't help but liking Wendy and Jack? I wish I had a Jack living next door to me!

2 weeks until my big move to Illinois - I wanted to post early, so I can get a pretty badge. Hope y'all love the book as much as I do! =)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20009 comments I started tonight and read through the first two chapters. I like Jack and his estimation of Faye - "over stressed". I can't wait to meet Crazy Wendy.

Feels strange to say, but I may have read this once. I will have to read some more until something clicks. Some days, it feels like my memory folders are full and old stories are constantly being pushed out as new ones are filed away.

Jessica I'm looking forward to reading this book. It looks really interesting. A friend of mine mentioned it awhile ago and I forgot about it till I saw it here.

Sorry that I didn't participate in anything last month, but my nice quiet month turned into a bit of a hectic one. I think that I finished only one book last month.

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments Good luck, Anne! I hope everything goes well with the move. I know you will be so happy to get all of your things squared away in your new home. It certainly will not be long now. : )

I couldn't help smiling while reading this book although there are some teary parts, too. However, it just makes you feel good deep inside.
(view spoiler)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 1282 comments Connie wrote: "Good luck, Anne! I hope everything goes well with the move. I know you will be so happy to get all of your things squared away in your new home. It certainly will not be long now. : )

I couldn't ..."

Hi Connie. I'm ready to pull my hair out at this point. And I totally agree with your spoiler comments. I want a Jack!

Tasha (tasha28) | 12 comments Okay, I am going to start this book tonight. I hope it is a good as it sounds. I hate it when I build a book up and get all excited then feel totally let down, it’s my own fault as I do it time and time again! Anyhow thought I’d choose this book due to the magic concept as I feel the older I get the less I believe in “magic”, hope and so on. So let’s see if it can make me believe there is more to life than just chores and the school run etc. Even if the only time I do believe is when my head is in the book. Roll on my children’s bed time, book, tea and biscuits (I am SO rock and roll)

Tasha (tasha28) | 12 comments I am already in love with Jack! I feel as though "crazy wendy" will be more of a character than what I first thought. I don't like Wendy's daughter so far she seems vile and I just love the children.

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 1282 comments Tasha wrote: "I am already in love with Jack! I feel as though "crazy wendy" will be more of a character than what I first thought. I don't like Wendy's daughter so far she seems vile and I just love the children."

I had that same feeling, Tasha.

message 14: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Aug 10, 2014 05:38PM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48838 comments *edited to move to the proper thread*

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 1282 comments Janice wrote: "I read Fool Moon for the theme and for the toppler. I love the humour in Butcher's Dresden files and this one delivered.

Murphy, Dresden's foil, can be infuriating in that she neve..."

Ooops wrong thread - I think

message 16: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48838 comments Anne (Booklady) wrote: "Ooops wrong thread - I think ..."

Oops... I think you're right. It's been one of those days. I deposited two cheques made out to my business into my personal account at the ATM today. Why not write in the wrong thread too? At least this one is easier to fix.

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 1282 comments Janice wrote: "Anne (Booklady) wrote: "Ooops wrong thread - I think ..."

Oops... I think you're right. It's been one of those days. I deposited two cheques made out to my business into my personal account at ..."

The first sounds sublimable (and I can't spell today & too lazy too look it up). I know at the end of the month I jigger my budget this way and that. I guess you'll have to make a trip to the bank tomorrow. Poor gal, I hate going anywhere now - afraid I'll fall again.

message 18: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48838 comments I don't blame you for being afraid of falling.

I'll give my account manager a phone call in the morning. I hope they're able to fix it without reversing the cheques and returning them to my client. She's out of town for the next week. So much for paying bills till this is resolved.

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 1282 comments Janice wrote: "I don't blame you for being afraid of falling.

I'll give my account manager a phone call in the morning. I hope they're able to fix it without reversing the cheques and returning them to my cli..."

Oh, my! What a mess - sending you warm thoughts.

Clyde sends this too!

cuddley cats photo: Cats 615bd6c4ff5b0d0ea0a1cceou9.gif

message 20: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48838 comments Awww Thanks! That's a cute kittie to cuddle with. :)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20009 comments Hello out there. Anyone still reading? I just got to the end of chapter five. Do you believe Faye's answer to her bosses question? Is she typical of women today?

Tasha (tasha28) | 12 comments Hello, I finished yesterday. I personally do think that is how women are today.

Tasha (tasha28) | 12 comments I really enjoyed this book it is written in such a magical way, I have turned from an eye roller non believer "grown up" to releasing my inner child shouting I believe. To be honest it did help that Jack is SO adorable loved him from the start. When I was reading this I did think to myself every character in the book has been through heart ache and pain at some point, and the importance that we must try and heal our wounds and still have faith in love, spirit and others. It kind of makes you think there is magic out there if we choose to believe it or see occurrences that happen in our lives as magic and not just one of those things (sorry I'm now pondering typing) Right back to the book, I loved all the characters and towards the end even Wendy's daughter but only slightly! As I got towards the end I was thinking I have enjoyed reading the book but some how I didn't really connect with the characters that well. Then I turned the page I had tears of joy and sadness, yet the last page made my heart swell with joy. You know when it is a good book as it lingers with you afterwards. I am tempted to sleep with my window open just as you never know! (however it is cold in England at the minute so I shall wait for warmer weather)

Casceil | 2623 comments I'm still reading, Cherie, off and on, with many detours for other books. I'm about 60% of the way through. At times I like the book, and at times I feel like I am being manipulated--like someone is pushing my buttons to make me sad or angry about particular things (like the daughter trying to stick Wendy is a nursing home, or Faye's ambivalent reactions to Jack). I probably will finish the book by the end of the month, but at the moment I am concentrating on slogging through the last two parts of Cloud Atlas.

Cherie (crobins0) | 20009 comments I just looked at the clock (1am). I know that I must put the book down, but I can't tear myself away! It is the morning of Faye's big presentation and Jack has just appeared with a gift for her.

I feel the push and pull of emotions as the story has progressed. I feel for Jack and the love that he wants and Faye's reluctance to let him in. If we are being manipulated, it is only a minor irritation for me. I can sit back and let the story lead me along. Honestly, I'm holding my breath in anticipation. I am on page 200 and according to my Nook copy, there are 110 pages left.

(view spoiler)

Off with the light now...

Tasha (tasha28) | 12 comments So glad you are enjoying it. love your questions they really show your anticipation. will not answer them my lips are sealed.

Cherie (crobins0) | 20009 comments ha ha ha! I finished it. No more questions. :0)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 1282 comments Ahh, Cherie! Aren't you glad I recommended it to you? =)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20009 comments Anne (Booklady) wrote: "Ahh, Cherie! Aren't you glad I recommended it to you? =)"

Yes, Anne and I am glad it was picked as a group read AND I am glad my daughter bought it for us to read although she hasn't started yet.

(view spoiler)

Melissa I finished this last night. I had really been looking forward to it as it sounded like a great idea for a sweet and fun romance. But I have to say in the end I was disappointed. Not so much with the story itself but with the way it was written. I thought much of the writing was clumsy and contrived, and I almost put it down twice to move on to other things. I kept with it though, and I'm glad I finished it - I guess I just wish it had been done better. I felt like the author really belabored the point sometimes.

And I have to disagree also about most women being like Faye - with the idea that women today are coolly practical, cautious, and hard-hearted. That may be typical of women who escape bad relationships, but I wouldn't say that is true of most women. Focused on their own health and the well-being of their children - maybe that it more generally true. And are women today looking for hope and magic, even if they don't realize it? That I can agree with, but I think it is true for everyone. It's part of what makes us all human - the ability to imagine and yearn for what is beyond our senses.

Anyway: I am still disappointed in the book, but only because I think it was not very well executed. I love the idea that there is still the magic of youth bringing people together against their "better" judgment.

Casceil | 2623 comments Melissa wrote: "I felt like the author really belabored the point sometimes."

Melissa, you have put your finger on something that bothered me about the book. Parts of it do seem clumsily written. There are times when I feel like a particular scene has dragged on much too long, or like the author is beating me over the head with an idea, and I just want the book to move on.

Cherie (crobins0) | 20009 comments I agree with some of your points Melissa and Casceil.
I do not think Faye was a "typical" woman of today.
She was a little "too much" of everything. (view spoiler)

What interested me in the story itself was how the author managed to morph the original story and magic into a follow up book like this and get most of the good bits in. Maybe some of it was clumsily written, but I think with stories like this you have to disconnect with reality and enjoy the magic and the author's imagination.

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments I didn't really get too caught up in the reality of the story because I viewed it as a magical story from the beginning. I guess giving the author this wide berth from the outset allowed me to enjoy the story without worrying about the details and just letting things flow.

I love the ending of the story when Wendy is in the hospital and (view spoiler)

Such a lovely, feel-good book for me.

Cherie (crobins0) | 20009 comments Connie wrote: "I didn't really get too caught up in the reality of the story because I viewed it as a magical story from the beginning. I guess giving the author this wide berth from the outset allowed me to enjo..."

That is how I felt too Connie and it was the same for me.

Tasha (tasha28) | 12 comments me too!

message 36: by Debra (last edited Aug 26, 2014 10:45AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments I didn't expect to like this book as much as I did. I don't normally do romances, but since this had a magical element, it was really appealing. The only trouble I had is with how perfect physically the main protagonists were. This seems typical of most romances. It was refreshing not to have all the usual steamy sex (not that I really mind this). It was about friendship, faith, and burgeoning love.

You'll love this one...!! A book club & more

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Fool Moon (other topics)