Play Book Tag discussion

A Discovery of Witches (All Souls, #1)
This topic is about A Discovery of Witches
May 2018: Family Drama > A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1) – Deborah Harkness - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 1162 comments It was long and it had 2 negatives going in; vampires and a cliff-hanger ending. However, Harkness managed to draw me in despite that. Diana Bishop is the descendant of a powerful line of witches who is trying to live a normal human life and avoid using her magic. During her research in alchemical history she unearths an ancient enchanted manuscript at the Bodleian Library. This discovery draws all the other magical beings to her, starting with a vampire named Matthew Clairmont. Everyone wants the book. Diana and Matthew are drawn to each other as well as the mystery and as their feelings deepen they run into problems because of this inter-species attraction. Lots of pressure, lots of drama, research into the history and knowledge of science and magic. Gave me a little of the feel of Byatt's Possession.
Still not a fave of vampires and cliff-hangers, but a very good story.

annapi | 5160 comments I liked this one, but I thought it went downhill with book 2, and I was never inclined to pick up book 3.

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 9390 comments I read all three, and I’m not even sure I liked them. I do remember not liking the main character pair very much, and that Diana made me sick. I also remember thinking that all three books Could have been edited and cut to make one regular size book. A lot was unnecessary.

KateNZ | 2679 comments I loved the first one, despite the vampire thing ... The second one was incredibly frustrating. May well not bother with the third except I want to know how it ends!

message 5: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 9390 comments I liked the ending....

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I am in the exact boat as annapi

annapi | 5160 comments KateNZ wrote: "I loved the first one, despite the vampire thing ... The second one was incredibly frustrating. May well not bother with the third except I want to know how it ends!"

If you do read it, please summarize it with all spoilers! LOL I want to know how it ends but I don't think it's worth my time.

message 8: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 9390 comments Anna, and that would be the second thing I would private message you with. Forgive me that I have been completely underwater, but I haven’t forgotten your request to know more deeply what I was thinking about with Eleanor Olliphant. And now, I would be deeply pleased and privileged to tell you how the whole thing wrapped itself up. In fact I wish somebody had done that for me and in under 500 pages total. It would be my deep pleasure.