Schlafly Global Book Discussion Group discussion

Homegoing

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I hope everyone is making progress with Homegoing. At first I found the structure confusing, but have been reading it as I did Little Red Chairs, where the numerous characters act in tandem to tell a larger story. I was driving myself nuts trying to focus on every thread straight that I lost sight of the tapestry.

message 2: by Anne (new)

Anne | 85 comments It’s obviously tough subject matter, but I’m enjoying the story and the writing about 100 pages in.

message 3: by Readridinghood (new)

Readridinghood | 54 comments Although I am having a difficult time keeping anything in order as Travis said, I am enjoying the book a lot. It’s heartbreaking to listen to as it is fascinating.

message 4: by Anne (new)

Anne | 85 comments There is a family tree just before the book starts if that helps readers. Donna, I can send you a picture if it helps.

message 5: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (lucy47) | 146 comments I'm a couple of chapters from the end, and have enjoyed it, tho' some of the episodes were almost too painful to keep reading (typical of Travis' books!). Have had to repeat over & over to myself "if someone else had to suffer it the least you can do is face the telling of it".
I haven't decided yet what Gyasi's goal was: to confront whites with their guilt, to remind blacks that some of their African forebears were just as guilty of trafficking in the enslavement of their countrymen, or to survey the breadth of African (W. Afr. at least) and Afr-Amer experience.
From the historical novels I read I've learned that most human societies have at some pt in their history captured, enslaved, traded and profited from the bodies & lives of others. We are a savage creation!

message 6: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (lucy47) | 146 comments Watching the royal wedding this a.m., hard not to be overwhelmed by the significance (irony? inevitableness?) of a descendant of the Africans enslaved & exploited by the British (and Americans) standing in an English Cathedral and marrying the scion of the foremost representative of that British society.

message 7: by Kim (new)

Kim Parks | 12 comments I think her goal is to create an empathetic rather that just a didactic understanding of all the situations --and the history-- depicted in the book. I loved her skillful parallel timeline approach. I look forward to this discussion.

message 8: by Gabriela (new)

Gabriela Eaglesome | 40 comments Sorry to miss this round, but this month has been too busy with our move. I also have a commitment on Thursday for something else. I hope all will have calmed down by next time.

message 9: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (lucy47) | 146 comments Gabriela, we'll miss your insight and cheerful presence, no matter the dire subject being discussed.
See you in June!

message 10: by Vera (new)

Vera Emmons | 25 comments This is a really tough book. And I spend large parts of every week discussing the Holocaust! I haven't finished it and I'm not sure if I will, but either way, I can't make it tonight. We're moving on Tuesday and my husband is wrapping up a big project at work, so we're going to move some stuff to the new place and have a little celebration dinner. I'll stop by the library to get the next book.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Vera wrote: "This is a really tough book. And I spend large parts of every week discussing the Holocaust! I haven't finished it and I'm not sure if I will, but either way, I can't make it tonight. We're moving ..."

Thanks for letting us know, Vera. I'll make sure to pick up some snacks for tonight since you had signed up for this month. Good luck with moving. Are you staying in the CWE?

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Travis wrote: "Vera wrote: "This is a really tough book. And I spend large parts of every week discussing the Holocaust! I haven't finished it and I'm not sure if I will, but either way, I can't make it tonight. ..."

Vera, my bad. You are signed up for next month. I misread. Regardless, good luck!

message 13: by Readridinghood (new)

Readridinghood | 54 comments I have to be honest and say I finished this book very Unsatisfied. As separate chapters, the book was interesting, but left me wanting to know more when it ended. The ending of the last chapter left me most puzzled of all. I’m sure I’ll feel differently and have a better understanding about the book after tonight’s discussion. Thanks for the offer of the family tree , Ann.

message 14: by Anne (new)

Anne | 85 comments I’ll be there but running late!

message 15: by Kim (new)

Kim Parks | 12 comments I was so sorry to unexpectedly have to miss last night's discussion-- I really liked this book, mainly for the way Gyasi's characters succinctly conveyed the facts of this harrowing history yet each had some quality or trait beyond victimhood that made the story come alive for me at their point of entry. I thought it was a well-constructed novel, with some beautiful phrasing, and both wise and up-to-date about the dilemmas of tribalism affecting us all.

message 16: by Vera (new)

Vera Emmons | 25 comments Travis wrote: "Vera wrote: "This is a really tough book. And I spend large parts of every week discussing the Holocaust! I haven't finished it and I'm not sure if I will, but either way, I can't make it tonight. ..."

Thanks for the reminder for next month, Travis! We're just moving 1/2 mile-closer to Anne! We bought a townhouse.