Why Christianity? discussion

Major topics > Does God love everyone?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 75 (75 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle | 469 comments Mod
This is probably my most pressing challenge theologically: does God love everyone?

Most people easily answer YES!!! But does the bible show otherwise? Does reality show otherwise?

message 2: by Robert (new)

Robert Core | 303 comments Rod - I think we have to tease out the God of the Old Testament from the Jesus of the New. Yahweh choose the Hebrews and blessed certain others, but most nationalities were road kill. He took an active role in human affairs, favoring the Jews if they faithfully followed him and delivered others into their hands. Occasionally, even His chosen tribes were forsaken if they were disobedient. This is in keeping with the One God and He's demanding theme. With the earthbounding of Christ the entire world's inhabitants COULD be chosen (we're all familiar with the terms). The Father no longer took an active role except to harden hearts after sufficient callings from the Son failed. So does God love everyone, like so many situations, IT DEPENDS!

message 3: by Ned (last edited May 19, 2018 08:48AM) (new)

Ned | 50 comments It's paradoxical. For God so loved the world (that's everyone) that he gave His only begotten son that whosoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

On the other hand, friendship with the world is enmity toward God. But God can still love His enemies, like He commands us to do.

Proverbs 6:16-19 New International Version (NIV)
16 There are six things the Lord hates,
seven that are detestable to him:
17 haughty eyes,
a lying tongue,
hands that shed innocent blood,
18 a heart that devises wicked schemes,
feet that are quick to rush into evil,
19 a false witness who pours out lies
and a person who stirs up conflict in the community.

Tim Challies writes:

God Hates Wicked People
Psalm 11:5 puts it bluntly: God hates wicked people. “The LORD tests the righteous, but his soul hates the wicked and the one who loves violence” (Psalm 11:5). He hates wicked people from his soul, from the very depth of his being. God hates their ways (Proverbs 15:9), their thoughts (Proverbs 15:26), their worship (Proverbs 15:8), their actions (Proverbs 6:18), and their evil deeds (Psalm 5:5). He singles out as a special object of his hatred the blasphemous deeds of the Nicolaitans, those who seduced God’s people with idolatry and sexual immorality. “Yet this you have: you hate the works of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate” (Revelation 2:6).

Clearly, God hates the thoughts, deeds, and desires of evil people. But further, in some way he hates the evil people themselves.

That's hard to argue with. Can God both love and hate the same people? Don't we sometimes? Our own experience should at least give us an inkling of the complex dynamics in relationships. It seems that there is a sense in which both are true. God loves everyone enough to offer the gift of salvation and the opportunity for repentance, is patient and merciful, even as He hates evildoers and their wicked deeds. The whole concept of reconciliation, which the Bible talks extensively about, suggests a hostile relationship is in effect until the parties are reconciled through Christ.

message 4: by Rod (new)

Fun. Thanks guys.

message 5: by Rod (new)

God loves Jesus. Through Christ people are loved.

message 6: by Tyrone (new)

Tyrone Wilson | 75 comments God loved before Christ came in the New Testament. His love was demonstrated through His desire to fellowship with His creation, beginning with Adam, and His redemptive plan for all mankind. We just kept messing up.

God does not delight in the death of the wicked (Ezekiel 33:11), and implores all to turn away from it so we can fellowship together and enjoy the fruits of that fellowship.

message 7: by Rod (new)

Ezekiel 33:11.
God loves Israel--- His covenant people. Individually? Hmmm?

Yes, God doesn't delight... but does He lose sleep or cry? Possibly not.

message 8: by Rod (new)

Can the non-elect even fellowship with God? I'm not so sure. Maybe. Not eternally successfully it seems.

message 9: by Tyrone (new)

Tyrone Wilson | 75 comments God loved more than Israel. He sent Jonah to preach repentance to the people of Nineveh. It is God's nature to love (1 John 4:8).

God punishes because of sin and wickedness, not because He lacks love toward certain people.

message 10: by Rod (new)

And then what became of Nineveh???? Certainly not salvation.

Kindness and love are not the same thing.

But good points. Well worth considering

message 11: by Robert (new)

Robert Core | 303 comments Tyrone - agreed that God isn't lacking in love, but it's not infinite. Maybe some are elect from birth, but most of us can be chosen if we answer the call. I can only speak for myself about how this works, but I had a subtle inner feeling that the Lord wanted me to stop going it alone and follow His ways. I ignored it the first couple of instances, but the third was more insistent, my sin had brought me lower, and I had the feeling this was my last chance. I affirmed and never looked back. Perhaps all conversion stories are different, but there's a window of opportunity which can close. Deathbed confessions are rare, the heart is hardened in most instances by then.

message 12: by Tyrone (new)

Tyrone Wilson | 75 comments Rod wrote: "And then what became of Nineveh???? Certainly not salvation.

Kindness and love are not the same thing.

But good points. Well worth considering"

Actually, they did repent (Jonah 3:10), which is why Jonah got angry (Jonah 4: 1-3).

I agree, kindness and love are not the same thing, but John 3:16 said God loved the world. Why would you think God was being kind rather than loving? I think that's splitting hairs a little bit.

message 13: by Ned (new)

Ned | 50 comments John 3:36, ESV: "Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him."

If one turns away his ear from hearing the law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9

I have no doubt that God loves everyone, but people have a warped concept of what love is. Does God love those on whom His wrath abides? Most people think that love simply means to look kindly on someone, or to have warm, fuzzy feelings for them. Does God send people He loves to hell? These questions require a deep understanding of the nature of love. I'm staying with my original paradoxical comment.

message 14: by Robert (new)

Robert Core | 303 comments Ned -and I suppose you have a deep understanding of the nature of love. Sorta like Donny Osmond used to croon about?

message 15: by Rod (new)

Don't be dissin' Donny. That's my childhood

message 16: by Ned (new)

Ned | 50 comments Robert,

I don't know how deep my understanding is, but it's deeper than those who wing it, with no appeal to authority outside their inner feelings. I rely on the Bible to explain it to me, and that is the only authoritative source.

message 17: by Rod (new)

God can easily correct people without killing them yet:

2 kings 1:12
12 But Elijah answered them, "If I am a man of God, let fire come down from heaven and consume you and your fifty." Then the fire of God came down from heaven and consumed him and his fifty.

Is that love? Is that ministry? Should they of had a men's prayer breakfast instead?
I don't think God loved them. Call me strange but...

I can give 20 more similar displays of God's behavior. But hey! I'm on God's side. God loves and protects His children.

message 18: by Tyrone (new)

Tyrone Wilson | 75 comments Rod wrote: "God can easily correct people without killing them yet:

2 kings 1:12
12 But Elijah answered them, "If I am a man of God, let fire come down from heaven and consume you and your fifty." Then the f..."

I would say its God's judgment. Sin has a price.

When the Northern Kingdom practiced idolatry, God sent in the Assyrians. When The Southern Kingdom did the same thing, God sent in the Babylonians. Did God not love Israel? There will come a time when God will judge the world; hence the Tribulation Period. Some may subscribe to that idea that one act (love) precludes the other (punishment), but I still say sin has a price. Sin is an affront the God's holiness and the price must be paid. Because He does that, can you argue He doesn't love them? We love our children, yet we discipline them. They are not mutually exclusive.

Still, God still sent His Son out of love to redeem mankind. Israel was supposed to have demonstrated God's love in the O.T., but they went buck wild and acted like the Gentile nations and worshipped other gods. It was an affront to God, especially when you consider all He had done for them, and the warnings they had.

What's the option? Allow everyone to live no matter what they do? Imagine that.

Just my two cents...

message 19: by Ned (new)

Ned | 50 comments Ezekiel 33:11 Say to them, ‘As I live!’ declares the Lord God, ‘I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn from his way and live. Turn back, turn back from your evil ways! Why then will you die, O house of Israel?’

Even as God condemns the wicked, he does so sorrowfully, pleading with them to repent is my sense. God will not force those who hate him to be with him. Those who see God as a malevolent being are projecting themselves onto Him. It takes the mind of a child to define love as giving him whatever he wants at any given moment.

message 20: by Robert (new)

Robert Core | 303 comments OK Ned - I'll accept your response in it's context. The Bible is fairly explicit about the different varieties of "love" unlike it's attempts at science and history. I still contend that reading about love's vagaries isn't quite the same as experiencing them. However, our time on this planet is finite so we can only do so much empirically and must learn vicariously through other sources of which Scripture is foremost.

message 21: by Robert (new)

Robert Core | 303 comments Tyrone - how steep is sin's price? If it wasn't for Grace, I surely would pay for my transgressions through all eternity. My Faith says if I believe and repent I'm forgiven even if I have a short moral fuse and sin again. In any other religion but Christianity, I'd be slow roasted, but Jesus promises me a room in a Mansion. Who can top that deal?

message 22: by Rod (new)

Sure, God loves Israel as a promise and a collective... but that isn't guarantee to any individual. Similar to God loving the world.

It seems many individuals are just not loved by God: some as death punishment, and others as blessed rich individuals who are luxuriously hell bound.
Many are left to be Jezebels... and others are determined to be Judases.

Is God doing Everything to save them? No, not even close. Give them a measure of faith- yes. But not successful

message 23: by Tyrone (new)

Tyrone Wilson | 75 comments Robert wrote: "Tyrone - how steep is sin's price? If it wasn't for Grace, I surely would pay for my transgressions through all eternity. My Faith says if I believe and repent I'm forgiven even if I have a short m..."

It's not for me to determine the price for sin. That's God's prerogative. Referring to the verse Rod quoted, God didn't like the idea of the king seeking and answer from Baal, so He slew the messengers who were sent to challenge Elijah.

By God's grace and patience, He grants us mercy when we sin, particularly when we repent, otherwise nobody would be alive.

message 24: by Tyrone (new)

Tyrone Wilson | 75 comments Rod wrote: "Sure, God loves Israel as a promise and a collective... but that isn't guarantee to any individual. Similar to God loving the world.

It seems many individuals are just not loved by God: some as d..."

On what basis, then, does God hate or not love everyone? Do you believe God just randomly picks out people and say "I'll love this person, but not that person?

message 25: by Rod (new)

Possibly yes. What amount of sin makes God kill people (or banish angels)? 1 or a million?

Jeremiah 1
5 "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations."

message 26: by Rod (new)

I'm hoping that someone here can prove to me that God indeed DOES love every single person... so far only vague verses.

message 27: by Rod (new)

Does God love the angels and demons? Differently?

message 28: by Robert (new)

Robert Core | 303 comments Rod - that's what makes the concept of "the elect" so difficult. Why would some few be selected from birth for the Kingdom, while others are only "chosen" when they answer the call, and still others apparently evil from conception and unable to be saved regardless?

message 29: by Rod (new)

We're all evil. Even playing field.

message 30: by Rod (new)

I think the Elect doctrine is way too simple.

Philippians 2
13 for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.

He gives us a measure of faith.

Some people God doesn't work in. Jezebels, judases, Satan's, Hitlers, annoying old lady down the street. (But maybe?)

message 31: by Tyrone (new)

Tyrone Wilson | 75 comments Did Christ die for all?

message 32: by Rod (new)

Generally? Yes. Specifically? No.
For humanity? Yes. For the non-elect? No.

Please prove me wrong. You would need very specific Clear verses to do this.

message 33: by Robert (new)

Robert Core | 303 comments Rod - I cannot prove you wrong, but if the road we can travel is wide, but the gate we must pass through for salvation is narrow, then the significant mass of humanity is hellbound. So, in this instance, I agree with your assessment.

message 34: by Tyrone (new)

Tyrone Wilson | 75 comments Rod wrote: "Generally? Yes. Specifically? No.
For humanity? Yes. For the non-elect? No.

Please prove me wrong. You would need very specific Clear verses to do this."

Many people take the same position as you and no amount of verse quoting will change that. I just find it interesting when John 3:16 says "God so loved the world", it is somehow interpreted as God didn't really mean that. Or, when 1 John 2:2 talks about Christ's propitiation for the sins of the whole world, some say no He didn't.

Having said that, I recognize that not everyone interprets scripture the same, so I don't get too caught up with different interpretations.

message 35: by Rod (new)

Funny, many assume the road is wide open and 6 lanes one way.

God begs Israel to come to Him... but not people in general or specific.
Does He do all He can to reach out to every person? Not at all. He does what He does.

message 36: by Tyrone (new)

Tyrone Wilson | 75 comments Rod wrote: "Funny, many assume the road is wide open and 6 lanes one way.

God begs Israel to come to Him... but not people in general or specific.
Does He do all He can to reach out to every person? Not at ..."

God doesn't have to do what He does. He could simply strike us all down when we sin, but He doesn't. It is not God's will that anyone should perish (2 Peter 3:9) and He does not delight in the death of the wicked (Ezekiel 18:22). To prevent that, He sent His Son to die for us all while we were yet sinners (Romans 5:8).

Israel was under the Mosaic Covenant, which they agreed to be (Exodus 19:4-8), so they were bound and obligated to keep the covenant. God told them what He would do if they disobeyed Him (Leviticus 26:13-39). God simply holds them to it, just as we are bound as Christ's bride. Of course they would receive plenty of blessings if they obeyed, as recorded in the prior verses in Leviticus.

It is God's goodness that leads to repentance (Romans 2:4), affording the opportunity to all to recognize His goodness and repent. I refuse to believe He ignores or excludes some people from recognizing His blessings.

message 37: by Rod (new)

He is a God of many conditions.

I'm totally on His side. The goal is to understand it.

message 38: by Rod (new)

Great verses, thanks Tyrone. I'll deal with them all.

message 39: by Tyrone (new)

Tyrone Wilson | 75 comments Rod wrote: "Great verses, thanks Tyrone. I'll deal with them all."

Cool. Pray for me, and I'll pray for you. Prayerfully, we all will have a better understanding of the Lord and look to serve Him with a full heart, mind and spirit.

message 40: by Rod (new)

I love and serve the God of the Bible: even when I don't fully understand Him or agree with Him. And if He fully agrees with me --- then maybe I need a bigger God - or more wisdom and intelligence.

message 41: by Rod (new)

Thanks for the Bible verses Tyrone. Let's go through them.

2 Peter 3:9
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.

"Any should perish"?

Any who? Or What? The context and application of the letter 2 Peter is:
2 Peter 1:
Greeting

1Simeon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ,
To those who have obtained a faith of equal standing with ours by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ:

It appears that the "ANY" is those who HAVE obtained a faith of equal standing... by Jesus. So I wouldn't say this verse is God loving EVERYONE. But specifically HIS Elect.

Ummh, sometimes God DOES strike us all down when we sin: Noah's flood, etc.
God is only patient with HIS elect it seems. I could be wrong. But He is quick to kill many who are NOT.

message 42: by Rod (new)

Let's look at Ezekiel 18:22

23Have I any pleasure in the death of the wicked, declares the Lord GOD, and not rather that he should turn from his way and live?

Ezekiel is a Prophet of Israel. A very bad Israel.

Ezekiel 13
False Prophets Condemned

1The word of the LORD came to me: 2“Son of man, prophesy against the prophets of Israel, who are prophesying, and say to those who prophesy from their own hearts: ‘Hear the word of the LORD!’ 3Thus says the Lord GOD, Woe to the foolish prophets who follow their own spirit, and have seen nothing! 4Your prophets have been like jackals among ruins, O Israel.

We should be very hesitant to make any Doctrinal applications TO US from the book of Ezekiel. It's not about us Gentiles.

Ezekiel 2
2And as he spoke to me, the Spirit entered into me and set me on my feet, and I heard him speaking to me. 3And he said to me, “Son of man, I send you to the people of Israel, to nations of rebels, who have rebelled against me. They and their fathers have transgressed against me to this very day.

This entire book is about the punishment of Israel. So we shouldn't state that God isn't interested in the death of the wicked WORLD. There is a covenant and a promise with Israel. God's plan is resting on Israel.

message 43: by Tyrone (new)

Tyrone Wilson | 75 comments Rod wrote: "I love and serve the God of the Bible: even when I don't fully understand Him or agree with Him. And if He fully agrees with me --- then maybe I need a bigger God - or more wisdom and intelligence."

God doesn't reveal everything. He keeps some things to Himself (Deuteronomy 29:29). We are to act on faith without knowing all the details, otherwise it is not faith in God that we rely on.

message 44: by Rod (new)

Romans 5:8
8but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. 9Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God.

It seems THE SINNERS in question ---- are those who have been justified by his blood... and saved from the wrath. This is very specific.
God is referring to HIS ELECT>

Romans 1
5through whom we have received grace and apostleship to bring about the obedience of faith for the sake of his name among all the nations, 6including you who are called to belong to Jesus Christ,

7To all those in Rome who are loved by God and called to be saints:

The book of Romans is a letter to THE CALLED (or elect) in Rome. Therefore, the verses apply to them (and others who belong to Jesus). But it would be incorrect to apply this to the general masses.

Romans 2:4 AND 5
4Or do you presume on the riches of his kindness and forbearance and patience, not knowing that God’s kindness is meant to lead you to repentance? 5But because of your hard and impenitent heart you are storing up wrath for yourself on the day of wrath when God’s righteous judgment will be revealed.

Romans is a brutal letter.

message 45: by Rod (new)

Tyrone said, " I refuse to believe He ignores or excludes some people from recognizing His blessings. "

I don't refuse anything with God. (be careful with that).

Romans 9
8This means that it is not the children of the flesh who are the children of God, but the children of the promise are counted as offspring. 9For this is what the promise said: “About this time next year I will return, and Sarah shall have a son.” 10And not only so, but also when Rebekah had conceived children by one man, our forefather Isaac, 11though they were not yet born and had done nothing either good or bad—in order that God’s purpose of election might continue, not because of works but because of him who calls— 12she was told, “The older will serve the younger.” 13As it is written, “Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.”

...Done neither Good or bad... God's election might continue...

Weird eh?

message 46: by Tyrone (new)

Tyrone Wilson | 75 comments Rod wrote: "Let's look at Ezekiel 18:22

23Have I any pleasure in the death of the wicked, declares the Lord GOD, and not rather that he should turn from his way and live?

Ezekiel is a Prophet of Israel. A v..."

The entire book of Ezekiel is not about punishment. It certainly prophesies about the judgment to come on Jerusalem because of their abominations, but more importantly it contains promises about their restoration and how God accomplishes this by ridding it of idolators, false prophets, selfish kings and priests (chapters 33-37). God honors His word that Israel and the throne of David will last forever (2 Samuel 7:12-13), among many other verses, and the book of Ezekiel flushes them out. Ezekiel ends gloriously with Israel in their land and the Temple rebuilt (chapters 40-44).

I agree we should not easily establish doctrine based a verse or two, but we should be able to see how God operates since no word of scripture counters another. That means understanding context within the greater story or issue at hand.

Having said that, Israel was supposed to do what the Church is supposed to do now ... be a light unto the Gentiles (Isaiah 49:6) for salvation. The difference is Christ told us the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. Israel had no such guarantee. But some "churches" do what Israel did, and they will answer to Christ at the judgment.

The purpose is still to save man from his sin. That has never changed ... be it Israel who failed, or the Church who will succeed.

message 47: by Tyrone (last edited Jun 06, 2018 09:46PM) (new)

Tyrone Wilson | 75 comments Rod wrote: "Tyrone said, " I refuse to believe He ignores or excludes some people from recognizing His blessings. "

I don't refuse anything with God. (be careful with that).

Romans 9
8This means that it is..."

I'm not trying to be arrogant. I believe I understand God's will with respect to the salvation of man. His love for His creation is absolute; much like that of a parent and child, only deeper as only God can; demonstrated by sending His only Son to redeem fallen man. Unless someone can prove beyond question that that isn't the case, I'll hold to my belief on that.

There are some things that aren't up for debate, in my opinion ... Christ's sacrifice for the sins of the world, for example. God's desire for all man to be saved is another (1 Timothy 2:3-4).

message 48: by Rod (new)

1 Timothy 2 needs context. And a clear subject. And it's there:

1 First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people,

(Wait for it...)

2 for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way.

(So now that we've made supplications, prayers, intercessions FOR KINGS and those in high places of authority.

13 I charge you in the presence of God, who gives life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who in his testimony before Pontius Pilate made the good confession,

6 who gave himself as a ransom for all, which is the testimony given at the proper time.

1 Timothy is very much about authority - especially in the church. The issue of global salvation is barely a side issue. Since ALL will not be ransomed - we should carefully see how else it fits the context.

message 49: by Tyrone (last edited Jun 07, 2018 07:31AM) (new)

Tyrone Wilson | 75 comments Rod wrote: "1 Timothy 2 needs context. And a clear subject. And it's there:

1 First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people,

(Wait for it...)..."

I disagree with your point that these verses are about authority. It seems to me that it's about prayer for all, including those in authority because it is good in the sight of God to do that.

Aside from that, the point that God wants all men saved is still valid. We can't just ignore it because authority (as you see it) or prayer (as I see it) is the point of the passage.

message 50: by Chad (last edited Jun 07, 2018 09:36AM) (new)

Chad (chadjohnson) | 63 comments There is a sense in which God loves everyone in the whole world (John 3:16; 1 John 2:2; Romans 5:8). This love is not conditional—it is rooted in God’s character and based on the fact that He is a God of love (1 John 4:8, 16). God’s love for everyone could be thought of as His “merciful love,” since it results in the fact that God does not immediately punish people for their sins (Romans 3:23; 6:23). “Your Father in heaven . . . causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous” (Matthew 5:45). This is another example of God’s love for everyone—His merciful love, His benevolence extended to everyone, not just to Christians.

God’s merciful love for the world is also manifested in that God gives people the opportunity to repent: “The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise. . . . Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance” (2 Peter 3:9). God’s unconditional love is related to His general call to salvation and what is often called His permissive or perfect will—that aspect of God’s will that reveals His attitude and defines what is pleasing to Him.

However, God’s love for everyone does not mean that everyone will be saved (see Matthew 25:46). God will not ignore sin, for He is a God of justice (2 Thessalonians 1:6). Sin cannot go unpunished forever (Romans 3:25–26). If God simply disregarded sin and allowed it to continue to wreak havoc in creation forever, then He would not be love. To ignore God’s merciful love, to reject Christ, or to deny the Savior who bought us (2 Peter 2:1) is to subject ourselves to God’s wrath for eternity (Romans 1:18), not His love.

The love of God that justifies sinners is not extended to everyone, only to those who have faith in Jesus Christ (Romans 5:1). The love of God that brings people into intimacy with Himself is not extended to everyone, only to those who love the Son of God (John 14:21). This love could be thought of as God’s “covenant love,” and it is conditional, given only to those who place their faith in Jesus for salvation (John 3:36). Those who believe in the Lord Jesus Christ are loved unconditionally, securely, forever.

Does God love everyone? Yes, He shows mercy and kindness to all. Does God love Christians more than He loves non-Christians? No, not in regards to His merciful love. Does God love Christians in a different way than He loves non-Christians? Yes; because believers have exercised faith in God’s Son, they are saved. God has a unique relationship with Christians in that only Christians have forgiveness based on God’s eternal grace. The unconditional, merciful love God has for everyone should bring us to faith, receiving with gratefulness the conditional, covenant love He grants those who receive Jesus Christ as Savior.

« previous 1