Read Scotland 2014 discussion

Back o' Beyond: 25+ books > Peggy's going Back O'Beyond!

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (peggyherself) | 237 comments Have 17 read and 5 more months might as well go for it. Anyone else ready to commit?!

message 2: by Julie (new)

Julie | 76 comments Yes, count me in. I'm doing a read-aloud with my daughter now. When we are done, that will be number 19. and began 'the stevenson lighthouses' while on vacation, so will keep reading at it, and 'the wild places' - should finish those in a month or so. : )

message 3: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 29 comments I'm in. I bought so many books while on holiday and most of them are set in Scotland. I went through Waterstone's in Oban and took everything with the label "Scottish Writer". I did not buy every book I found but enough to sit in front of my suitcase and wonder how I should pack all the things lying around the room.

message 4: by Julie (new)

Julie | 76 comments Would love to have been there to buy some of those, nicole! I just finished number 19. mollie and i finished 'house on the cliff' by d. E. Stevenson last night. I read it every year or so, as it is a favorite. Like going on vacation. Now we have to decide which one next. We usually have one d. E. Stevenson read-aloud going at all times. It takes quite awhile to get through one, as we aren't together but so often.

message 5: by Linda (new)

Linda Boa | 3 comments I probably got talking to you - I live just round the corner and am in constantly! Has anyone read Island Wife by Judy Fairbairns? It's a great story, about a family growing up on the Isle of Mull, with a clueless husband, his titular wife trying to take care of everything. My parents have a small role in the book, but I'm really not biased I promise - it IS a great read!

message 6: by Nicole (last edited Aug 06, 2014 01:28PM) (new)

Nicole | 29 comments We love Oban, we try to always spend a few days there. And I visit Waterstone's at least twice - could be that they have new books...

I am sure I had Island Wife in my hands but now I see that I did not buy it. I bought The Island Nurse by Mary J. MacLeod instead but haven't read it yet.
Another book to buy next year...
We wanted to go to Orkney next year but now my dad got ill and it looked really bad for a few days and we always wanted to take my parents to Scotland. So instead of waiting for sometime we will take them next year. And of course, we must bring them to Oban. And of course, I must buy one or two or several books then... Sea Room by Adam Nicolson about the Shiant Islands is on my list already.

Julie, so read a book with your daughter, one reads, the other one listens?
I envy you. First to have someone who reads the same books as you do. And that this works so fine. I have the problem that I can't listen. I can't listen to audiobooks for that reason, I always start to think about different things and do not listen to the voice. Same with presentations at work. If someone talks for a longer time, I just stop to listen. I have to read everything, only then can I remember later.

message 7: by Julie (new)

Julie | 76 comments Yes, it is wonderful. We have been doing this since she was in high school - maybe before. She is in her 30's now. We take turns with who reads and who listens. I read while she drives. She reads while i cook. Or one reads til thier voice gives out, then the other takes over. My son and i read aloud the whole lord of the rings trilogy when he was in junior high. And we read aloud all the angie sage septimus heap series. Lots of fun.

message 8: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (peggyherself) | 237 comments Linda wrote: "I probably got talking to you - I live just round the corner and am in constantly! Has anyone read Island Wife by Judy Fairbairns? It's a great story, about a family growing up on the Isle of Mull,..."

Linda wrote: "I probably got talking to you - I live just round the corner and am in constantly! Has anyone read Island Wife by Judy Fairbairns? It's a great story, about a family growing up on the Isle of Mull,..."

I have not, but it looks good and thanks for introducing me to a new Scottish Author!

message 9: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 10 comments After a long lull, numbers #41 and #42 are:

Adrift in Caledonia: Boat-Hitching for the Unenlightened
Thorpe, Nick

Adrift was long and slow read on my part. I think I started in March. It actually was purchased in Scotland by my GF....something like 8 yrs ago. She hasn't read it.

Leger's City
Dearie, Lacey

Leger's last cat sleuthing job in Glasgow. However, the author says he's coming back for some Christmas specials. Yea!

message 10: by Beth (new)

Beth Mast | 30 comments oh my! I wish I have read that many. :)

message 11: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 10 comments Thx Beth!! Lol, many of books I have read were short reads.

message 12: by Julie (new)

Julie | 76 comments Have just finished number 20 - Katherine Wentworth by D. E. Stevenson. It takes place in the city of Edinburgh and at a little cottage and at an estate, so I always enjoy the locations of her books. I hadn't realized that I had not reread this one since our trip to Edinburgh. So really enjoyed it this time through, as I had seen the locations and could now visualize them - which was very exciting to me and such a privilege.

message 13: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 10 comments #43 The Sunday Philosophy Club (Isabel Dalhousie #1)
by Alexander McCall Smith. 4 out of 5 stars. Looking forward to Thursday! I hope the vote is decided by more than a few votes.

message 14: by Julie (new)

Julie | 76 comments who can say, but i just have a feeling that it will be a yes by a whole lot. but i don't even live there, so i haven't heard all the discussions and pros and cons. have a friend who is STRONGLY for it, but he doesn't seem sure which way it will go. he says that no matter which way it goes, though, things will never be the same. i think he thinks it may be inevitable to happen some day even if it doesn't happen this time.

message 16: by Julie (new)

Julie | 76 comments Number 21 finished - going through the scotland street series and had to back up because i missed one. Read espresso tales. Now beginning the unbearable lightness of scones by mccall smith. Got off my scotland read for a bit, reading a charles lenox mystery and a new hazel holt. Need to be in a UK reading group, so those would count! : )

message 17: by Julie (last edited Nov 19, 2014 03:04PM) (new)

Julie | 76 comments Number 22 today. Just read the newest agatha raisin by m. C. Beaton, who grew up in scotland.

message 18: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 10 comments My 52nd book is "The Kirk In Scotland". :) It was much more readable than I feared. Apparently I was the only person to ever read it at Boston Ath. Also read another Leger story.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8...

message 19: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (peggyherself) | 237 comments Kirk wrote: "My 52nd book is "The Kirk In Scotland". :) It was much more readable than I feared. Apparently I was the only person to ever read it at Boston Ath. Also read another Leger story.

https://www.good..."

52nd book! Holy cow!

message 20: by Peggy (last edited Nov 19, 2014 07:48AM) (new)

Peggy (peggyherself) | 237 comments Old Dogs Just finished number 25 made it to Back o' Beyond! Happy Day!

message 21: by Julie (new)

Julie | 76 comments reading hazel holt, deborah crombie, and nancy atherton right now, so won't be making much progress here : ) oh, but am listening to another alexander mccall smith in the car. just takes awhile to finish books that way!

message 22: by Peggy (last edited Nov 19, 2014 02:15PM) (new)

Peggy (peggyherself) | 237 comments The Low Road A Novel by A.D. Scott Perturbing Spirit by Janet Caird Murder Scholastic by Janet Caird Old Dogs by Donna Moore

That brings me up to 25 and I've made Back o' Beyond! I might get to more before the end of the year but not sure. There's always next year!

message 23: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (peggyherself) | 237 comments Julie wrote: "reading hazel holt, deborah crombie, and nancy atherton right now, so won't be making much progress here : ) oh, but am listening to another alexander mccall smith in the car. just takes awhile t..."

You'll make it easily! I love audio books when on a trip, at home now I am rarely in the car anymore!

message 24: by Julie (new)

Julie | 76 comments I just put the next scotland street on hold at the library, so hopefully i can finish up this one and go on to the next :). There are a bunch from my list of books that i intended to read for this that i know i won't get to with holidays coming. As you said though - next year! : ). What i really can't believe is that this year is coming near to a close - how can that be already?!

message 25: by Julie (new)

Julie | 76 comments Number 23 finished this morning. Mccall smith - the unbearable lightness of scones. Ready to start the next in the series now. Have to catch up. Think i have 2 more. I long for good things to happen to poor little bertie.

message 26: by Julie (new)

Julie | 76 comments I really need to set daily page goals to finish the wild places. Have been dipping into it for several years. Time to finish it and make it count here before the end of the year!

message 27: by Julie (new)

Julie | 76 comments Number 24 - A Highland Christmas by M. C. Beaton. Ashort but sweet christmas novel with beloved hamish macbeth. One more to go to mert my 25 - whew!

message 28: by Julie (new)

Julie | 76 comments Number 25! Yay! Mollie and i have been reading this together, but i needed that last one to complete this challenge for the year, so i finished it yesterday. I can still read the rest with her, but that might not happen til after the holidays. Loved this book. So funny and fun and fascinating with its eye into a gentler time and the borders farm life of many years ago. Highly recommended! There are more and i will read those too.

message 29: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (peggyherself) | 237 comments I squeaked in one more. Death of Yesterday by M.C. Beaton. That's 26.

message 30: by Julie (new)

Julie | 76 comments I didn't realize it was out yet- need to put a hold on it at the library : )

message 31: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (peggyherself) | 237 comments Julie wrote: "I didn't realize it was out yet- need to put a hold on it at the library : )"

I checked out an audio version!