Reading with Style discussion

RwS Summer 2018 > General Questions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 75 (75 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6269 comments Any general questions about the Summer Challenge should be asked here.

message 2: by Kazen (new)

Kazen | 623 comments Mods, would you consider changing the "female" (sex) style bonus to "woman" (gender)? June is LGBTQIA+ Pride month and I think we should be include everyone who identifies themselves as a woman, instead of just those who have been assigned female on their birth certificate or passport.

My biggest concern is that under the current label "female" a book by a trans woman would not be eligible for bonus points, even though it is written by a woman. People smarter (and funnier) than me have written on this subject here and here, as additional reference.

Thank you for your consideration. :)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12799 comments Our database author table has gender as either M or F and is what we will use to determine whether a book should be awarded this style.

message 4: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4660 comments For the polls, I noticed that Ali Smith isn't on the LGBTQIA list (unless I'm just missing her) and neither is a recent African American author on that list for a book I'm reading for another group. Will we be able to add to these lists, or will it just be what Wikipedia has already listed?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12799 comments Karen Michele wrote: "For the polls, I noticed that Ali Smith isn't on the LGBTQIA list (unless I'm just missing her) and neither is a recent African American author on that list for a book I'm reading fo..."

We will use the wikipedia lists, but they can be added to. What is the name of the African American author?

message 6: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4660 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Karen Michele wrote: "For the polls, I noticed that Ali Smith isn't on the LGBTQIA list (unless I'm just missing her) and neither is a recent African American author on that list for..."

Nigerians in Space by Deji Olukotun

I can't confirm his birthplace, but he lives in Brooklyn according to this profile:
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12799 comments Karen Michele wrote: "Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Karen Michele wrote: "For the polls, I noticed that Ali Smith isn't on the LGBTQIA list (unless I'm just missing her) and neither is a recent African Ameri..."

I added Ali Smith. The edit for that page requires a reference, but she is quite open and her wiki page names her partner.

The wiki page for African Americans is a list of those who already have wiki pages. "The list also includes non-American authors and writers of African descent." I started to add him, but he does not have a wiki page.

message 8: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4660 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Karen Michele wrote: "Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Karen Michele wrote: "For the polls, I noticed that Ali Smith isn't on the LGBTQIA list (unless I'm just missing her) and neither is ..."

Thanks, Elizabeth! Nigerians in Space is a debut novel, so I'll count it there and see what selection wins the poll;)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12799 comments Karen Michele wrote: "Thanks, Elizabeth! Nigerians in Space is a debut novel, so I'll count it there and see what selection wins the poll;) "

He got an MA from the University of Cape Town and it wouldn't surprise me if he would also fit the southern hemisphere task. I just couldn't find a definite reference.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12799 comments I used my Ancestry membership and find that he was born in Minnesota in 1978, so no southern hemisphere task.

message 11: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4660 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "I used my Ancestry membership and find that he was born in Minnesota in 1978, so no southern hemisphere task."

I was hoping for that;)
but thanks for checking - I never thought of using something like Ancestry to search authors:) I don't think we've kept our membership, though.

message 12: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited May 21, 2018 11:03AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12799 comments Karen Michele wrote: "I never thought of using something like Ancestry to search authors:) I don't think we've kept our membership, though. "

I've never used it before - I don't often spend that much time looking around. But one of the google searches indicated it might be useful this time.

message 13: by Kazen (new)

Kazen | 623 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Our database author table has gender as either M or F and is what we will use to determine whether a book should be awarded this style."

Understood - thank you for your reply.

message 14: by Ed (last edited May 22, 2018 11:55AM) (new)

Ed Lehman | 2518 comments The Western Canon often lists books which are part of a series... for example....My Ántonia by Willa Cather which is the third book in the series. I hate to read books of a series out of order....so, was wondering if any of the other books in a series would qualify for the Canon style points too? I suspect the answer is probably a negative...but thought I would check.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12799 comments Ed wrote: "The Western Canon often lists books which are part of a series... for example....My Ántonia by Willa Cather which is the third book in the series. I hate to read books ..."

As you surmise, the answer is no. There are a few entries on the Canon which are the actual series, and all of the individual books listed that way would qualify, but not the reverse.

However, for this Cather, I think this is not a true series where the characters and storyline repeat or are sequential and that each individual title is a stand alone.

message 16: by Ed (new)

Ed Lehman | 2518 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Ed wrote: "The Western Canon often lists books which are part of a series... for example....My Ántonia by Willa Cather which is the third book in the series. I hate to ..."

ok...thanks

message 17: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4488 comments When do the polls close?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12799 comments The 27th at 11:59 pm

message 19: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4488 comments Thanks

message 20: by Lagullande (last edited Jun 02, 2018 12:55AM) (new)

Lagullande | 1041 comments (Sorry for not posting this in May, I was away during the last week of the month.)

In post 743 of the Spring Challenge, I claimed task points and styles for The Handmaid's Tale. In post 841, the style points were disallowed as "this book is shelved as YA at the Brooklyn Public Library and has a lexile score under 800. "

(Ridiculously, as we all know it's a good book),I had been putting the book off for several seasons, just because of that YA issue. But I was encouraged to read it now due to it being claimed a couple of times already this year with no style deductions, and Elizabeth(Alaska)'s post here : "I just looked at BPL and none of their editions have Assignment anymore."

I also just looked at BPL, and the only one that I saw with Assignment is the Sparknotes.

Obviously, the points don't matter, but it's a topical book right now, so I just thought I would seek clarification in case other people are considering it.

(By the way, I saw Margaret Atwood speak on the book last week at the Hay-on-Wye Festival. She was fascinating.)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12799 comments Lagullande wrote: "(Sorry for not posting this in May, I was away during the last week of the month.)

In post 743 of the Spring Challenge, I claimed task points and styles for The Handmaid's Tale. In po..."

And I apparently forgot to fix the database, so Kate didn't have that information. We'll fix your score.

message 22: by Lagullande (new)

Lagullande | 1041 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "We'll fix your score. "

No, seriously, don't spend the time. It really wasn't about the points - it was in case anyone else is considering it. Thanks, anyway.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12799 comments Lagullande wrote: "Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "We'll fix your score. "

No, seriously, don't spend the time. It really wasn't about the points - it was in case anyone else is considering it. Thanks, anyway."

It's OK. I'm glad you brought it up. And the book info *does* need to be fixed.

message 24: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4488 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Karen Michele wrote: "I never thought of using something like Ancestry to search authors:) I don't think we've kept our membership, though. "

I've never used it before - I don't often spend that m..."

I’m on Ancestry daily so if anyone wants something looked up, I’ll be happy to. I also have access to other databases from other countries through prime membership.

message 25: by Bryony (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 247 comments Just wondering if there any exceptions to the 100 page minimum for books that are listed in Bloom’s canon? I’ve been meaning to read Antigone but it’s less than 100 pages. Could I combine it with another book (also in Bloom’s canon) by Sophocles to make up 100 pages? Thank you.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12799 comments Bryony wrote: "Just wondering if there any exceptions to the 100 page minimum for books that are listed in Bloom’s canon? I’ve been meaning to read Antigone but it’s less than 100 pages. Could I combi..."

Poetry is the only exception, not plays or other forms. However, we do occasionally have tasks that allow for fewer than 100 pages, so you can keep these in mind for then.

message 27: by Bryony (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 247 comments Okay, thank you, I’ll keep that in mind for the future.

message 28: by Kätlin (new)

Kätlin | 174 comments I suspect I had the same problem as Lagullande with the Spring reads. I also read The Handmaid's Tale and my score is out by 30 points from what I thought it should be, which can only be the missing style points for the novel (post 560). Nobody specifically replied to tell me that the book didn't qualify for the styles, as far as I can tell, but I saw it explained to other people, so assumed that's what it was. Can someone have a quick look? Thank you :)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12799 comments Kätlin wrote: "I suspect I had the same problem as Lagullande with the Spring reads. I also read The Handmaid's Tale and my score is out by 30 points from what I thought it should be, which can only be the missing style points for the novel (post 560). Nobody specifically replied to tell me that the book didn't qualify for the styles, as far as I can tell, but I saw it explained to other people, so assumed that's what it was. Can someone have a quick look? Thank you :) "

Yes, but it is only 25 points. 1985 gets only 5 oldies points, rather than 10. Kate will post to the Spring Readerboard later.

message 30: by Kätlin (new)

Kätlin | 174 comments Ah, yes. My mistake. No idea why I had it as 10 points when it should be 5. Thanks for a quick reply.

message 31: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 555 comments I'm reading an anthology of short stories. Does having a female editor count for the Style points?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12799 comments Rachelccameron wrote: "I'm reading an anthology of short stories. Does having a female editor count for the Style points?"

Can you post a link? We'll take a look at it.

message 33: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 555 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Rachelccameron wrote: "I'm reading an anthology of short stories. Does having a female editor count for the Style points?"

Can you post a link? We'll take a look at it."

The Uncanny Reader: Stories from the Shadows
by Marjorie Sandor

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12799 comments Rachelccameron wrote: "Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Rachelccameron wrote: "I'm reading an anthology of short stories. Does having a female editor count for the Style points?"

Can you post a link? We'll take a look at it."..."

Yes, you can claim the female style for that book.

message 35: by Karin (new)

Karin What happens if a book has two or three authors when it comes to style points for reading a book by a woman? I'm reading one co-authored by a man and a woman with added things by another woman. Both Gemina and Obsidio have lexiles that qualify for style points if this works.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12799 comments Karin wrote: "What happens if a book has two or three authors when it comes to style points for reading a book by a woman? I'm reading one co-authored by a man and a woman with added things by another woman. Bot..."

Yes. We'll look at the first named author to see if a book qualifies for a style.

message 37: by Karin (last edited Jun 22, 2018 07:07PM) (new)

Karin Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Karin wrote: "What happens if a book has two or three authors when it comes to style points for reading a book by a woman? I'm reading one co-authored by a man and a woman with added things by anot..."

Thanks, she's always named first.

message 38: by Karin (last edited Jul 02, 2018 04:45PM) (new)

Karin Does a book where the hard cover is published in two volumes count as one, or do I have to use the paperback? I ask because the mpe paperback has fewer pages than the mpe volumes 1 and 2 together, but they are one novel, although entered separately here. There are paperbacks with more pages, but the mpe has smaller than average font size--the others are NOT large print editions.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12799 comments Can you provide a link to the title you plan to read?

message 40: by Karin (last edited Jul 02, 2018 05:16PM) (new)

Karin Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Can you provide a link to the title you plan to read?"

Sure, there is the title in the two volume set (one novel) and the numbering continues in the second volume rather than start over from 1. BUT it turns out only volume 2 is on GR, so after I add volume 1, I will be back with the links-volume 1 here is just some audiobook rather than the printed book. It is not a sequel but ONE novel.

message 41: by Beth (new)

Beth Robinson (bethrobinson) | 1118 comments Does a collection of stories or poems ( written by men and women) count for the bonus if a woman is the editor?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12799 comments Beth wrote: "Does a collection of stories or poems ( written by men and women) count for the bonus if a woman is the editor?"

yes

message 43: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4488 comments I would like to double check that Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell is not a YA book. I looked but since I often get things wrong, I want to be sure. I guess because of the illustrations it’s making me think of a younger group

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12799 comments Rebekah wrote: "I would like to double check that Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell is not a YA book. I looked but since I often get things wrong, I want to be sure. I guess because of the illustrations i..."

I don't see it shelved as anything YA nor juvenile at BPL.

message 45: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4488 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Rebekah wrote: "I would like to double check that Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell is not a YA book. I looked but since I often get things wrong, I want to be sure. I guess because of the..."

Thanks. I’m good to miss these things. Glad for the extra pair of eyes.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12799 comments Rebekah wrote: "I’m good to miss these things. ."

Ha! I'm good to not look for my own books until I've posted and am ready to work on scoring!

message 47: by Owlette (new)

Owlette | 498 comments I used to have Steinbeck's East of Eden on my to-read list for RwS. However, I saw that a completed task was posted last week or so, and the book did not qualify because the Lexile was 700. However, the RwS group has read the book in the past; saw it on the RwS bookshelf. So, something changed between then and now? Confused. Thanks.

message 48: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Jul 12, 2018 05:20PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12799 comments Owlette wrote: "I used to have Steinbeck's East of Eden on my to-read list for RwS. However, I saw that a completed task was posted last week or so, and the book did not qualify because the Lexile was ..."

Books on the bookshelf are books members have chosen for a group read in this or a previous season. It had a low lexile even then. We retain information from season to season in our scoring database, but I did check to see if BPL continues to have it shelved as YA Assignment, which it does. Even with a lexile below 800, the book can be used for one of the RwS tasks, it just doesn't qualify for styles.

message 49: by Owlette (new)

Owlette | 498 comments Thanks, Elizabeth. That helps. I'll probably be referring to your message in the future to keep things clear in my mind. :)

message 50: by Karin (last edited Jul 12, 2018 06:29PM) (new)

Karin Rebekah wrote: "I would like to double check that Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell is not a YA book. I looked but since I often get things wrong, I want to be sure. I guess because of the illustrations i..."

Thanks for asking! I was scouring for lexile scores on this one yesterday and couldn't find any because I'm going to be reading that one, too, so that will be at least 2 books we are both reading (I saw that you posted at least one other one I have on hold at the library).

« previous 1