Reading with Style discussion

RwS Summer 2018 > 20.7 Ambassador

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6263 comments The authors of both The Ambassador and The Ambassador were born in the Southern Hemisphere. Read a book by an author born in a country entirely in the Southern Hemisphere.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12673 comments I would be happy to hear suggestions for this task - especially women of the southern hemisphere.

message 3: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2586 comments This isn't a female author... sorry. However, I really enjoyed this book: Coal Creek by Alex Miller

message 4: by Coralie (last edited May 18, 2018 04:43PM) (new)

Coralie | 2545 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "I would be happy to hear suggestions for this task - especially women of the southern hemisphere."

Miles Franklin and Christina Stead were both born in Australia and have books on the canon.

Also Nadine Gordimer was born in South Africa and has a book on the canon.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12673 comments Thank you for these, both of you. I pencilled in Nadine Gordimer, although it isn't her entry on the Canon. I already had the Franklin entry on my wish list, but somehow I didn't recognize it (and why not?) I have added the Stead to my ever-expanding wish list.

Kathleen (itpdx) (itpdx) | 1449 comments I think Isabel Allende qualifies. She was born in Peru. There does seem to be a disputed border with Ecuador that puts Peru over the equator but it seems that most think the correct border has Peru below the equator.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12673 comments itpdx wrote: "I think Isabel Allende qualifies. She was born in Peru. There does seem to be a disputed border with Ecuador that puts Peru over the equator but it seems that most think the correct b..."

Yes, she qualifies for this task. We will use this definition to eliminate countries that lie along the equator.

Well there are 13 countries to be exact that lie along the equator. They are dispersed through South America, Africa and Asia and include, Ecuador, Colombia, Brazil, Gabon, Congo, Democratic Republic of Congo, Uganda, Kenya, Sao Tome and Principe, Somalia, Maldives, Indonesia and Kiribati.

message 8: by Ed (new)

Ed Lehman | 2514 comments Does Beyond the Islands by Alicia Yánez Cossío qualify? ...born in Ecuador...which is split by the hemispheres.

message 9: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6263 comments Ed wrote: "Does Beyond the Islands by Alicia Yánez Cossío qualify? ...born in Ecuador...which is split by the hemispheres."

She will not work. Only countries entirely in the Southern Hemisphere qualify.

message 10: by Ed (new)

Ed Lehman | 2514 comments Kate S wrote: "Ed wrote: "Does Beyond the Islands by Alicia Yánez Cossío qualify? ...born in Ecuador...which is split by the hemispheres."

She will not work. Only countries entire..."

oops..it does say that....I'm blaming jetlag...just got back from my trip.

message 11: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6263 comments Welcome back!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12673 comments June wrote: "Here are some authors I found:"

All of these will work except Doris Lessing, who was born in Iran which is in the northern hemisphere.

message 14: by Kazen (new)

Kazen | 623 comments I absolutely loved Seeing Red by Lina Meruane, born in Chile.

message 15: by Rebekah (last edited Jun 02, 2018 08:25AM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4464 comments NoViolet Bulawayo - Zimbabwe
Bessie Head - Botswana
Immaculée Ilibagiza - Rwanda
Unity Dow - Botswana
Walije Gondwe - Malawi

message 17: by Rebekah (last edited Jun 02, 2018 10:33AM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4464 comments Tsitsi Dangarembga - Zimbabwe
Petina Gappah - Zimbabwe
Barbara C. Makhalisa - Zimbabwe
J. Nozipo Maraire - Zimbabwe
Valerie Tagwira - Zimbabwe
Yvonne Vera - Zimbabwe

message 18: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4655 comments Thanks for all the ideas!

Rebecca - check your PMs:)

message 19: by Rebekah (last edited Jun 02, 2018 11:09AM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4464 comments Diane Awerbuck - South Africa
Lauren Beukes - South Africa
Elleke Boehmer - South Africa
Finuala Dowling - South Africa
Lynn Freed - South Africa
Cat Hellisen - South Africa
Cynthia Jele - South Africa
Farida Karodia - South Africa
Ellen Kuzwayo - South Africa
Anne Landsman - South Africa
Rozena Maart - South Africa
Sindiwe Magona - South Africa
Angela Makholwa - South Africa
Dalene Matthee - South Africa
Kirsten Miller - South Africa
Lauretta Ngcobo - South Africa
Joy Packer - South Africa

message 20: by Karin (last edited Jun 02, 2018 06:57PM) (new)

Karin Bernard Beckett New Zealand

message 21: by Rebekah (last edited Jun 02, 2018 09:31PM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4464 comments The Bone People by Keri Hulme

Hulme is a New Zealander. This is her only book so presumably would count as a debut book as well

message 22: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4464 comments Josephine Abaijah - Papau New Guinea
Sia Figiel - Samoa
Patricia Grace - New Zealand
Satya Colpani - Fiji
Célestine Hitiura Vaite - French Polynesia

message 23: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2545 comments I am reading The Bit In Between by Claire Varley for 30.1 (hopefully). According to https://blog.booktopia.com.au/2015/08... she was born in Geelong which is in Australia.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12673 comments Coralie wrote: "I am reading The Bit In Between by Claire Varley for 30.1 (hopefully). According to https://blog.booktopia.com.au/2015/08......"

Duly noted!

message 25: by Karin (new)

Karin I can't find the exact title listed in Bloom's, but this one looks like it as it's complete, so would this count? Life Times: Collected Stories. 1952-2007 by Nadine Gordimer? It has been combined with other books, whether rightly or wrongly, but the blurb for this edition says, "The collected stories of one of the world's great living writers are published in one volume for the first time."

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12673 comments Karin wrote: "I can't find the exact title listed in Bloom's, but this one looks like it as it's complete, so would this count? Life Times: Collected Stories. 1952-2007 by [author:Nadine Gordimer|..."

Yes, that would get canon points.

message 27: by Karin (new)

Karin Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Karin wrote: "I can't find the exact title listed in Bloom's, but this one looks like it as it's complete, so would this count? Life Times: Collected Stories. 1952-2007 by [author:Na..."

Thanks! I just picked it up from the library today.