Reading with Style discussion

RwS Summer 2018 > 20.2 Track of the Cat

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6265 comments Track of the Cat and The Track Of The Cat both have Western settings. Read a book shelved as western by at least 50 readers.

Please post any questions or recommendations for Task 20.2 here.

message 2: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4659 comments It seems that something in the Goodreads popular books search may have changed. Can you help with pulling up any kind of list? There used to be a link saying "more popular books tagged western" or something to that effect, but I can't find it on the page now.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12768 comments Yes, that's odd.

Western
or
Westerns

The link to search for any shelf is:

https://www.goodreads.com/shelf

I don't think there is a direct link anywhere for that, so it needs to be tucked into the old memory box.

message 4: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4659 comments Thank you --- that helps a lot!

I highly recommend Doc by Mary Doria Russell if any of you are looking for a good, literary Western written by a woman!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12768 comments Thank you - I am. Now to see whether I can actually get to it - my dance card is filling up fast!

message 6: by Deedee (last edited May 20, 2018 08:29AM) (new)

Deedee | 1983 comments Two 'literary' western awards:

Spur Award AND Willa Literary Award

I've read several books off these lists and have found them to be very well written, focused on characters and not on gun violence.

Additionally, Willa Literary Award are all written by women, Combo Points!

message 7: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4478 comments Seems like most of the books by women shelved as Westerns are steamy romances

message 8: by Karin (last edited Jun 14, 2018 03:40PM) (new)

Karin Rebekah wrote: "Seems like most of the books by women shelved as Westerns are steamy romances"

There are also some Christian romances shelved western, I think, but that's probably not up your alley, either. I am not big on reading romance.

Here's one by a woman that I've read which is shelved Western over 50 times (it's on the first page):

News of the World by Paulette Jiles - I gave it 4 stars, average rating 4.05 stars has been shelved this over 200 times and is on the first page of Western shelves.

Something from my tbr that has been shelved this 54 times is My Ántonia by Willa Cather

Sadly, the only Laura Ingalls Wilder book to have enough shelvings as western doesn't have a lexile high enough for style points.