Reading with Style discussion

41 views
RwS Summer 2018 > 20.1 Gemini

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6263 comments In honor of the titles of Gemini and Gemini, read a book based on a Greco-Roman myth. This information should be obvious from the GoodReads book description. If it is not available there, please add a relevant link in the appropriate task thread.

Please use this thread for any outside links or questions regarding task 20.1.


Kathleen (itpdx) (itpdx) | 1449 comments Does anyone know if The Secret History by Donna Tartt is based on a Greek myth or just about students who study Greek mythology?


message 3: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2659 comments itpdx wrote: "Does anyone know if The Secret History by Donna Tartt is based on a Greek myth or just about students who study Greek mythology?"

The later, itpdx. A great book but doesn't fit this task.

For myself, I think I'll aim to read Ransom (combo 20.7!)


Kathleen (itpdx) (itpdx) | 1449 comments Tien wrote:
"The later, itpdx. A great..."

Thanks, Tien. Ransom does look good!


message 5: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4659 comments I've put Ransom on my list of possibilities. I'm planning on Circe and also Medea and Cassandra: A Novel and Four Essays, but does the fall of Troy fit the task?


message 6: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6263 comments Karen Michele wrote: "but does the fall of Troy fit the task?"

Yes, we will accept a re-telling of the fall of Troy and/or the Trojan War.


message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather (sarielswish) | 722 comments Just checking - how about The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood? It's basically what happened while everyone was off during The Odyssey.


message 8: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6263 comments Heather wrote: "Just checking - how about The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood? It's basically what happened while everyone was off during The Odyssey."

Yes.


message 9: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4471 comments Do the two Gemini books stated above, fit this task?


message 10: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6263 comments Rebekah wrote: "Do the two Gemini books stated above, fit this task?"

They do not. I played more on the titles than on the story line for this task.


message 11: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 3112 comments Would this one work or is it too historical? The Last of the Wine


message 12: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6263 comments Rosemary wrote: "Would this one work or is it too historical? The Last of the Wine"

I don't see reference to a specific myth. I don't think this one will work.


message 13: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 3112 comments This one? Girl Meets Boy


message 14: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6263 comments Rosemary wrote: "This one? Girl Meets Boy"

That looks to fit the bill! Yes.


message 15: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 3112 comments Yay! Now I just have to find an epidemic :)


message 16: by Bea (new)

Bea | 1675 comments I am having difficulty with this task. Partly because it does not interest me, although I have read several books on the Popular Mythology GR list. However, I found this series that might be fun.

Gods Behaving Badly

This looks like it would work. Would it?


message 17: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6263 comments Bea wrote: "I am having difficulty with this task. Partly because it does not interest me, although I have read several books on the Popular Mythology GR list. However, I found this series that might be fun.

..."


I will accept this title. This line in the description sounds like it is at least partially a re-telling: "can these two decidedly ordinary people replicate the feats of the mythical heroes and save the world?"


message 18: by Bea (new)

Bea | 1675 comments Kate S wrote: "I will accept this title. "

Thank you.


message 19: by Tawallah (new)

Tawallah | 332 comments Would this Agatha Christie novel work: The Labours of Hercules
IF not I will any of these work:
Till We Have Faces
Cruel Beauty
Ilium


message 20: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6263 comments June wrote: "Would this Agatha Christie novel work: The Labours of Hercules
IF not I will any of these work:
Till We Have Faces
Cruel Beauty
Ilium"


It looks like all of these will work except Cruel Beauty.


message 21: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4471 comments I know one of the books on our bookshelf, that I didn’t get around to for that challenge was based on a Greek myth, Orfeo also looking at Daughter of Troy: A Magnificent Saga of Courage, Betrayal, Devotion, and Destiny that’s been in my “possession” for a few years now.


message 22: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4471 comments Not sure if I’ll get to this but my daughter has this book. Summer of the Mariposas supposed to be a retelling if The Odyssey


message 23: by Kätlin (last edited Jul 29, 2018 03:21AM) (new)

Kätlin | 174 comments Can I get a ruling on Home Fire by Kamila Shamsie please? The description on Goodreads says nothing about this, but both the Wikipedia page and the Guardian review make it clear it is a modern version of the Sophocles play about Antigone. Because the Goodreads description doesn't mention this, I didn't even realise it after finishing the book. My main question is, if it's a modern retelling of the Sophocles play, is it still eligible? As the play itself is based on the myth, being just one version of the telling on the myth. Sophocles didn't make the characters up. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antigone


message 24: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6263 comments Kätlin wrote: "Can I get a ruling on Home Fire by Kamila Shamsie please? The description on Goodreads says nothing about this, but both the Wikipedia page and the Guardian review m..."

Looks like it will work. I will take it.


message 25: by Kätlin (new)

Kätlin | 174 comments Thank you Kate!


message 26: by Owlette (new)

Owlette | 494 comments Would this one work: Glimmerglass by Marly Youmans? The GR description mentions that the main character, an artist, is searching for the Muse which she sees in the woods. Then she enters a labyrinth with a minotaur and she also receives objects such as a coat button with griffins. Thanks.


message 27: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6263 comments Owlette wrote: "Would this one work: Glimmerglass by Marly Youmans? The GR description mentions that the main character, an artist, is searching for the Muse which she sees in the wo..."

While it appears this title uses some elements of mythology, it does not seem to be a re-telling as far as I can see. Sorry.


message 28: by Owlette (last edited Aug 01, 2018 10:28AM) (new)

Owlette | 494 comments True--not really a re-telling as far as I could tell. I will use it for 20.10 Art World. Thanks.


back to top