Reading with Style discussion

RwS Summer 2018 > 30.1 Island Hopping

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6264 comments Read any book set in one of these unclaimed Island nations/territories and earn 30 points plus any applicable styles. This task does not have to be claimed to earn your Mega finish.

ÅLAND ISLANDS - Europe
AMERICAN SAMOA - Oceania
ANGUILLA - North America
BARBADOS - North America
BERMUDA - North America
BOUVET ISLAND - Antarctica
BRITISH INDIAN OCEAN TERRITORY - Africa/Asia
CAYMAN ISLANDS - North American
CHRISTMAS ISLAND - Australia/Asia
COCOS (KEELING) ISLANDS - Australia/Asia
COOK ISLANDS - Oceania
FRENCH SOUTHERN TERRITORIES - Antarctica
HEARD ISLAND AND MCDONALD ISLANDS - Antarctica
MALDIVES - Asia
NETHERLANDS ANTILLES - North/South America
(made up of Sint Maarten, Saba, Sint Eustatius, Bonaire, Curacao)
NORTHERN MARIANA ISLANDS - Oceania
PALAU - Oceania
SAINT BARTHÉLEMY - North America
SAINT KITTS AND NEVIS - North America
SAINT LUCIA - North America
SAINT PIERRE AND MIQUELON - North America
SAINT VINCENT AND THE GRENADINES - North America
SOLOMON ISLANDS - Oceania
SOUTH GEORGIA AND THE SOUTH SANDWICH ISLANDS - Antarctica
TIMOR-LESTE - Asia
TOKELAU - Oceania
TUVALU - Oceania
UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS - Oceania/North America
(made up of (Baker Island, Howland Island, Jarvis Island, Johnston Atoll, Kingman Reef, Midway Atoll, Palmyra Atoll, and Wake Island and Navassa Island)
WALLIS AND FUTUNA - Oceania

Please post any questions or suggestions about Task 30.1 in this thread.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12775 comments Around the World in 80 Books
In the first post, below the "fold" is a section called Resources for Finding Books. It is mostly separated by continent, which is why the continents are included in the above list. When clicking to the topics in one of the links, I have found it useful to click on the Topics header to sort alphabetically.

These 2 sites may also be helpful:

https://www.mappit.net/bookmap/
http://www.bookssetin.com/BookSearch....

message 3: by Bryony (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 247 comments Does the usual rule that a book must be entirely set in the location apply? I have found a couple of books about expeditions to Heard Island and McDonald Islands but it looks like they are at least partly about the planning of the expedition and travel to the islands so they wouldn’t count as entirely set there. Would these work (if I can get hold of a copy)? Thank you.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12775 comments The books must be set at least 51% in the location.

message 5: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4481 comments Could On the Island by Tracey Garvis-Graves count for The Maldives?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12775 comments Rebekah wrote: "Could On the Island by Tracey Garvis-Graves count for The Maldives?"

This is a 51% task (meaning the book has to have the setting only 51% of the pages), and I don't know if enough takes place there. There are certainly enough uninhabited islands in the island group.

message 7: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4481 comments Ok. I'll read it and if I find it didn't fit the bill I'll use it for the debut book task, 20.4

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12775 comments Rebekah wrote: "Ok. I'll read it and if I find it didn't fit the bill I'll use it for the debut book task, 20.4"

Glad you have a backup plan.

message 9: by Rebekah (last edited Jun 11, 2018 05:57PM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4481 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Rebekah wrote: "Could On the Island by Tracey Garvis-Graves count for The Maldives?"

This is a 51% task (meaning the book has to have the setting only 51% of the p..."

*Spoiler Alert!!!*
Just finished the audio book. When they are rescued, they are told they were on a uninhabited island in Maldives.
Also the audiobook is 7 hrs and 3 minutes and all but the last 2hrs and 24 minutes and the first few minutes explaining why she was going to Maldives and their flight from Chicago to Maldives are set on the island.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12775 comments Rebekah wrote: "Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Rebekah wrote: "Could On the Island by Tracey Garvis-Graves count for The Maldives?"

This is a 51% task (meaning the book has to have th..."

Rebecca, I cannot edit your comment, but please do not post spoilers.

message 11: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments I've got A Grue Of Ice planned for Bouvet Island; hoping it'll work! I haven't managed to find any other books for that one apart from a couple published in Norwegian.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12775 comments Sam wrote: "I've got A Grue Of Ice planned for Bouvet Island; hoping it'll work! I haven't managed to find any other books for that one apart from a couple published in Norwegian."

Well done! It looks like it should work!

message 13: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4481 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Rebekah wrote: "Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Rebekah wrote: "Could On the Island by Tracey Garvis-Graves count for The Maldives?"

This is a 51% task (meaning the boo..."

Is it okay now with the spoiler alert warning? I also deleted a sentence.

message 14: by Rebekah (last edited Jun 11, 2018 06:03PM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4481 comments Is there a list of books that were used for the different countries?
I don’t see Mayotte on list but it’s not marked off countries still to go.

message 15: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Jun 11, 2018 06:05PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12775 comments Rebekah wrote: "Is it okay now with the spoiler alert warning? I also deleted a sentence. "

Goodreads has a spoiler tag. < spoiler > and then at the end of the spoiler < / spoiler > (but remove the spaces to make it work). But really that should only be necessary in the case of reviews, which we don't have this season. In my answer above about the book, I left it to your discretion to decide if the book was set at least 51% in the Maldives.

Rebekah wrote: "Is there a list of books that were used for the different countries?"

In post #2 of this thread, Kate posted some links for searching books set it. I caution that further research should be done for these as other people might not that 51% requirement to say a book is set in a location.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

I'm so glad you want to explore for this task!

message 16: by Rebekah (last edited Jun 11, 2018 07:22PM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4481 comments I was wondering about the books that have already been used. I have one based in Mayotte but didn’t see it on this Island Hopping list but also saw it wasn’t marked off on the Countries Still to Go Thread. https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 17: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4481 comments I was wondering how people did that spoiler alert thing. I thought it was special to their computer! Haha

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12775 comments Rebekah wrote: "I was wondering about the books that have already been used. I have one based in Mayotte but didn’t see it on this Island Hopping list but also saw it wasn’t marked off on the Countries Still to Go..."

Yep, I missed it in drawing up the list for this task.

message 19: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2598 comments Rebekah wrote: "I was wondering how people did that spoiler alert thing. I thought it was special to their computer! Haha"

I didn't know how to do that either! Now I know (although am likely to forget...!).

message 20: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 3116 comments You can always see how to do a spoiler tag by clicking on the little link that says "(some html is ok)" above the top right of the comment box (next to where you add a book).

message 21: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4481 comments Learning lots of stuff about this site!

message 22: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4481 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Rebekah wrote: "I was wondering about the books that have already been used. I have one based in Mayotte but didn’t see it on this Island Hopping list but also saw it wasn’t marked off on the Count..."

So we can use Mayotte for this task then?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12775 comments Rebekah wrote: "So we can use Mayotte for this task then? "

No, we'll leave the list as it is. That doesn't mean you can't use the book for another task if it fits and we'll be glad to add it for the Project. If you choose to wait, I'm sure there will be another opportunity.

message 24: by Rebekah (last edited Jun 13, 2018 03:25PM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4481 comments I think that is the only task it would fit. It’s non fiction but a memoir, I have something else in mind for Possession but I’ll put it on the back burner

message 25: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4481 comments Could this these books work for St Kitts and Nevis?
http://www.stopyourekillingme.com/G_A...

The setting is St Chris in the Virgin Islands and another name for that country is The Federation of St Christopher and Nevis.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint...

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12775 comments Rebekah wrote: "Could this these books work for St Kitts and Nevis?

The setting is St Chris in the Virgin Islands and another name for that country i..."

Yes, the Kelly Ryan series look as if they would fit.

message 27: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4481 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Rebekah wrote: "Could this these books work for St Kitts and Nevis?

The setting is St Chris in the Virgin Islands and another name fo..."

Thanks

message 30: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4481 comments Rebekah wrote: "Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Rebekah wrote: "Could this these books work for St Kitts and Nevis?

The setting is St Chris in the Virgin ..."

All that trouble and now I can’t find the book!