Play Book Tag discussion

Marriage of a Thousand Lies
This topic is about Marriage of a Thousand Lies
May 2018: Family Drama > Marriage of a Thousand Lies/SJ Sindu/3.5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (last edited May 18, 2018 07:01AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jamie Zaccaria | 219 comments Marriage of a Thousand Lies is about a young married couple, Lucky and Kris, who are actually both gay and only married to each other to hide their sexuality from their families and community.

This was a good book that thoroughly envelopes you in the Sri Lankan-American culture as well as the modern LGBT struggle. I really felt for the main character who was torn between two worlds. I thought the pacing was a bit off in the second half and the ending abrupt, but the more I think about it, that's what real life can be like. As an LGBT woman, it makes me appreciate the openness and acceptance in my own support system and is a sober reminder that it's not like that for everyone.

3.5 Stars

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9341 comments This book sounds really interesting Jamie.

message 3: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Love how the titles highlights that it fits the tag this month :-D

I live in the SF bay area and I think that I often take it for granted that people are pretty accepting of the LGBT lifestyle. I don't know much about Sri Lanka, but is it primarily Muslim?

message 4: by Hebah (new) - added it

Hebah (quietdissident) | 675 comments That sounds good. Onto Mt. TBR it goes!