Support for Indie Authors discussion

SIA Investigate > Art theft

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joselyn (new)

Joselyn  Moreno (joselynraquel) | 41 comments well i saw them but they didnt looked alike to me, now a thing to note it's that if you buy it from a maker or something sometimes they sell the same art for various books, it's more about the money than everything, hope it helps

message 2: by Briony (new)

Briony Smith | 28 comments Joselyn wrote: "well i saw them but they didnt looked alike to me, now a thing to note it's that if you buy it from a maker or something sometimes they sell the same art for various books, it's more about the mone..."

Ah that's true. I could be just jumping the gun...

message 3: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4356 comments Mod
Briony wrote: "Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I'm not sure what to do with this. Going through twitter I found this tweet:"

Deleted for links.

If someone is stealing an image for a book cover, there's nothing SIA can do about it. Your best bet is to contact the author of the second book you listed. If you can't find a way to contact them, I guess leave it be. It's possible that, as Joselyn pointed out, both authors bought the image from the same source.

message 4: by B.A. (new)

B.A. A. Mealer | 915 comments If the person making the cover, used a commercial site for the photo, you are likely to see the same picture but done differently. Unless you are using your own photographs, that is most likely the case. I wouldn't worry about it as even the publishing houses use the same pictures more than once. As long as it isn't the exact same cover, you are good. If by chance the cover is exact, I'd go back to my designer and ask for my money back for infringing on what you paid for him/her to make a unique cover.

message 5: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4356 comments Mod
In deleting the original post, the story is gone. In a nutshell, neither book in question is Briony's. She happened to notice that both covers had an image of a man in armor and both images look identical or nearly identical. I looked at both covers and see her point, but since she doesn't know either author or the story behind the covers, it's hard to say if this was a case of "art theft" or if both authors bought images from the same source or what.

message 6: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 347 comments To keep costs down, most cover designers purchase stock photos. Do not be surprised if two purchase the same image because you do not purchase sole rights