Play Book Tag discussion

Mrs. Dalloway
This topic is about Mrs. Dalloway
May 2018: Family Drama > Mrs. Dalloway | Four stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Idit (last edited May 18, 2018 05:04AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Idit | 1028 comments All the lonely people...

Virginia Woolf developed this beautiful and very modernist way of telling a story - byt panning through the scene in a very cinematic way - focusing for a moment on one person, seeing what's inside and moving to another
There's a specific scene at the beginning when we leave Mrs Dalloway and follow other people in the street and it reminded me of the opening sequence shot in The Player

In Mrs Dalloway she fine-tunes her style. The characters are defined by a series of sketches, both of their inside and outside. and They are all lonely. and a bit sad. regretful of their lives that didn't ended up being what they thought.

She juxtapose the present beautifully with a moment in their youth - just before they become 'adults'.

For me there's something very magical about the way she tells a story.
I loved To the Lighthouse even more, but in both of them she just moves from one point of view to the next in a seamless way.

It's not really an official family drama. Definitely not in the way that To The Lighthouse is, but we are introduced to Mrs Dalloway, her husband and daughter, and her could be fiance that ended up not happening, who left to India and came back
There are also Septimus and his wife Rezia (I think?) who could have been on the verge of starting their own family but the war, and PTSD and depression devastate them.

Tracy (tstan) | 1237 comments I think it’s a family drama- Clarissa Dalloway’s entire point of view revolves around her life as it has become-and her family is central to that.
The more I think about this book, the better I like it, and I read it a few years ago.

Idit | 1028 comments I think I know what you mean Tracy - It’s a book that some space and thinking helps. It’s not an instant gratification

Idit | 1028 comments And of course the fact that the book name is Mrs Dalloway rather than Clarissa
“...this being Mrs. Dalloway; not even Clarissa any more; this being Mrs. Richard Dalloway”

Tracy (tstan) | 1237 comments Idit wrote: "And of course the fact that the book name is Mrs Dalloway rather than Clarissa
“...this being Mrs. Dalloway; not even Clarissa any more; this being Mrs. Richard Dalloway”"

True!

Booknblues | 6841 comments Idit wrote: "All the lonely people...

Virginia Woolf developed this beautiful and very modernist way of telling a story - byt panning through the scene in a very cinematic way - focusing for a moment on one pe..."

Excellent review, you opened my eyes to something I didn't see when I read the book.