All About Books discussion

Recommendation Swap > Recommendation Swap- June 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited May 18, 2018 03:23AM) (new)

Please post your name here if you would like to sign up for next month's (June) recommendation swap. If you have never tried this, it's a really good way to try new books and genres!

Sign ups will be open until the 25th May and I will post the list of partners the following day. Recommendations should then be sent out within the next couple of days. The swap runs for 3 months so there is plenty of time to find and read your book.

Please comment with your name here if you would like to join in. Remember that we ask people to have 30 or more comments in the group in order to participate.

Please remember to "report back" in the "What did you think?" thread, so we can all see what you read and if you liked it.

Any questions, please check out the thread or ask here

message 2: by Alannah (new)

Alannah Clarke (alannahclarke) | 12306 comments Mod
Ill sign up.

message 3: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 66 comments I’m in!

message 4: by Raul (new)

Raul Bimenyimana | 739 comments I'm in too!

message 5: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (gemmagem20) | 458 comments Can I join?

message 6: by Tawallah (new)

Tawallah | 179 comments I’m in.

message 7: by amber (new)

amber (thelittlematchgirl) | 371 comments I'll join in for once.

message 8: by Sam (new)

Sam toer (samtoer) I am joining

message 9: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 51 comments I loved the book that was recommended to me in March, sign me up for this too please :)

message 10: by Alannah (new)

Sam wrote: "I am joining"

I'm sorry Sam but the rule is you need to have 30 comments to join in, but please feel free to get involved in some discussion within the group and hopefully you will have your 30 in no time.

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 235 comments Yes please.

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 235 comments Manuel wrote: "I loved the book that was recommended to me in March, sign me up for this too please :)"

Your comment was so good that I’ve signed it out of the library.

message 13: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments What about those who didn't read the recommended book in the last swap? I know we can't oblige people to read or maybe something happened and they hadn't time to read it, but it isn't nice for who recommended the book. It's a downer and it leads me to don't take again part in the swap.

message 14: by Alannah (new)

dely wrote: "What about those who didn't read the recommended book in the last swap? I know we can't oblige people to read or maybe something happened and they hadn't time to read it, but it isn't nice for who ..."

Sorry dely, I don't understand. Did you recommend a book and the person didn't respond to you?

message 15: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments Alannah wrote: "Sorry dely, I don't understand. Did you recommend a book and the person didn't respond to you? "

Yes, the book I recommended wasn't read. At least I couldn't see updates for that book and that user also didn't comment about the book, so I think he didn't read it.

message 16: by Carrie (new)

Carrie  (icanhasbooks) | 60 comments I'm still reading last rounds, can I still sign up for this one?

message 17: by Alannah (new)

dely wrote: "Alannah wrote: "Sorry dely, I don't understand. Did you recommend a book and the person didn't respond to you? "

Yes, the book I recommended wasn't read. At least I couldn't see updates for that b..."

Ah, I understand. I've been guilty of that too; I think the last time we did the recommendation swap I put about three posts up of the ones I've gotten because I never had the time to do it or had forgotten entirely. I think that's also happened to me, people have taken books and not read them or not let the group know they have.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

dely wrote: "What about those who didn't read the recommended book in the last swap? I know we can't oblige people to read or maybe something happened and they hadn't time to read it, but it isn't nice for who ..."

It is really frustrating but I have also been guilty of it and I feel very bad. That is why we tried to keep the 30 comment minimum to try and make sure active participants are involved but even that doesn't work everytime.

message 19: by Alannah (new)

Su wrote: "Yes please!"

Sorry, you need 30 comments to take part in the recommendation swap, but you still have some time left. Please feel to get involved in our discussions, and I'm sure you will have your comments in no time.

message 20: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments dely wrote: "Alannah wrote: "Sorry dely, I don't understand. Did you recommend a book and the person didn't respond to you? "

Yes, the book I recommended wasn't read. At least I couldn't see updates for that b..."

Just my 2 cents worth about this. I have abandoned a book that was recommended but wrote a brief explanation about why. I think that someone who didn't make any attempt to read the recommended book should at the least be asked to explain why before being allowed to participate again. Perhaps RL got in the way (which I think we all understand) but it is only polite to let the recommender know that their effort wasn't just ignored.

message 21: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments June is a busy month for me but since the swap runs for 3 months, I'll sign up.

message 22: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) I'll sign up.

Do I recommend a book to my partner and they recommend to me? Sorry, it
Takes a bit for me to understand some things.

message 23: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments Leslie wrote: "Just my 2 cents worth about this. I have abandoned a book that was recommended but wrote a brief explanation about why. I think that someone who didn't make any attempt to read the recommended book should at the least be asked to explain why before being allowed to participate again. Perhaps RL got in the way (which I think we all understand) but it is only polite to let the recommender know that their effort wasn't just ignored."

Yes, exactly. No one would condemn another reader if he suddenly hasn't time or if he really disliked the book after a few pages. But it would be polite and respectful at least to say something.

message 24: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 66 comments dely wrote: "Leslie wrote: "Just my 2 cents worth about this. I have abandoned a book that was recommended but wrote a brief explanation about why. I think that someone who didn't make any attempt to read the r..."

I agree, but maybe it would be good to just ask them. Maybe they just forgot to post in some cases. I know myself and get distracted often, so I get it could happen...

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Leslie wrote: "dely wrote: "Alannah wrote: "Sorry dely, I don't understand. Did you recommend a book and the person didn't respond to you? "

Yes, the book I recommended wasn't read. At least I couldn't see updat..."

I think discussing the reasons why is important, as you said RL gets in the way or other books.

Personally, I don't have the time or inclination to go back and check the swaps and ask people for explanations as to why they couldn't read the book. We have tried to get round this by the 30 comment rule to try and include active members only. We could potentially increase this to 50 comments but it still doesn't force people to read the books. Unfortunately, it is disheartening when you don't get feedback and it has happened to be a few times over the years, but hopefully people will realise this if they participate regularly.

message 26: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 235 comments My 2 cents... I wouldn’t expect the moderator to go back and check if people completed books. I also recommended a book and the person didn’t finish. I chose to message them to see if they had picked a book etc. I didn’t hear anything back. My thought is that it is unlikely people who are unable to complete the swap will choose to sign up any time soon. It will self-moderate. I have had months where I finished my book a month late - real life, face to face book club and speed of getting the book from the library can be a challenge. Although I’d love to hear back about what I recommended, I am fairly confident that the majority of the time all will be fine. I would hate to be matched up and not get a recommendation! Happy reading.

message 27: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Agha-Jaffar | 1026 comments I'd love to participate but I hesitate because I don't like to make a commitment unless I know I can meet it. For example, suppose the library doesn't have the recommended book and/or I've been put on a wait list that may take several months. Meanwhile, I'd feel awful if the book I recommended was being read and I still hadn't read the book recommended to me.
Also, what about if the person recommends a book in a genre I don't particularly like? For example, I'm not into romance books. Nor do I particularly like Science Fiction. I'm very much into mythology and re-telling of myths and I would recommend a couple of my favorite books in that genre. But what if the person doesn't particularly care for that genre? I'd hate to ask a person to read a book for which he/she has no interest.
On the one hand, I think it's a great idea because it forces one to read something that may possibly be outside the comfort zone. On the other hand, I worry for all the reasons i've listed above.
I guess what I'm asking is what degree of flexibility is involved in the recommendation? And how do you decide who to pair with whom? Is it random?

message 28: by Alannah (new)

Tamara wrote: "I'd love to participate but I hesitate because I don't like to make a commitment unless I know I can meet it. For example, suppose the library doesn't have the recommended book and/or I've been put..."

The pairing is random but if you are struggling to get a hold of the book, let your partner know. I always give a choice of books when I'm recommending because I understand that book may not be as readily available as it is where I live. Feel free to let your partner know that you don't enjoy reading a certain genre.

message 29: by Alannah (new)

I have had people in the past who have told they didn't enjoy a particular genre, but that's fine. I usually enjoy picking books that they have wanted to read as a way to give them a gentle nudge into reading it.

message 30: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 235 comments Tamara wrote: "I'd love to participate but I hesitate because I don't like to make a commitment unless I know I can meet it. For example, suppose the library doesn't have the recommended book and/or I've been put..."

I usually review their book shelves and see what they like. And I too give a choice. I have had someone ask for a different option and so I have another choice. I see the recommendation swap as a chance to look a little outside what I usually do read. Something I might not have discovered on my own. I might not always enjoy the book at a 4 or 5 star but I’ve broadened my outlook.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm going to close the thread tomorrow morning (BST) so if anybody else wants to participate please let me know

message 32: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 66 comments Jennifer wrote: "My 2 cents... I wouldn’t expect the moderator to go back and check if people completed books. I also recommended a book and the person didn’t finish. I chose to message them to see if they had pick..."

I agree with that. No need for the moderator to do so, but asking yourself if it annoys you people don’t read your recommandations, could sometimes help.

message 33: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Agha-Jaffar | 1026 comments I'd like to participate, especially since we give and receive choices of books.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

The partners for the swap are listed below. Please send your recommendation in the next few days and report back when you have received and sent your choice.

Alannah recommends to June
Claire recommends to Carrie
Raul recommends to Jennifer
Gemma recommends to Alannah
June recommends to Manuel
Amber recommends to Tamara
Manuel recommends to Gemma
Jennifer recommends to Claire
Carrie recommends to Nancy
Leslie recommends to Amber
Nancy from NJ recommends to Leslie
Tamara recommends to Raul

message 35: by Claire (last edited May 26, 2018 07:16AM) (new)

Claire  | 66 comments Carrie I recommend to you Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer Trilogy, #1) by Robin Hobb .Assassin's Apprentice. It is a big book, but the start of one of the best fantasy series I ever read. Alternatively for a smaller novel I recommend The Keeper of Lost Causes (Department Q, #1) by Jussi Adler-Olsen The Keeper of Lost Causes the first thriller in an excellent series, that can all be read apart

message 36: by Alannah (new)

Claire wrote: "Carrie I recommend to you Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer Trilogy, #1) by Robin Hobb. It is a big book, but the start of one of the best fantasy series I ever read. Alternatively for a smaller novel I recommend [book..."

Can you please add the book titles as well as the pictures please? A lot of people use other devices and sometimes may not be able to see what you've posted.

message 37: by Alannah (new)

June, I'm going to recommend All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven or Frankenstein by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley. If you have any trouble accessing any of these books, please let me know.

message 38: by Tawallah (new)

Tawallah | 179 comments Hi Alannah, both books are fine. I will going with Frankenstein, I have been meaning to read that for at least 2 years now. Thanks

message 39: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Agha-Jaffar | 1026 comments Hi Raul,

I browsed through your read bookshelf and your favorites book shelf. I saw we have a lot of books in common and both seem to enjoy the classics.

I'm recommending two books I think (hope) you'll enjoy.

Plainsong by Kent Haruf. This is a beautifully written novel about a group of people in a small town in Colorado. Haruf is a master of understatement. Somehow he is able to communicate the depths of his characters' emotions with little description and sparse dialogue.

Clear Light of Day by Anita Desai. It is about the four children of the Das family during the political upheaval and turmoil in pre-partition India.

If neither one of these books appeals to you, or if you have trouble accessing either one, let me know and I'll be happy to recommend something else.

Happy reading!

message 40: by Carrie (new)

Carrie  (icanhasbooks) | 60 comments Claire wrote: "Carrie I recommend to you Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer Trilogy, #1) by Robin Hobb.Assassin's Apprentice. It is a big book, but the start of one of the best fantasy series I ever read. Alternatively fo..."

Thank you for the picks I own one and the library has the other so I have zero reasons not to get my hands on a copy :)

I looked at your profile and saw you like fantasy, thrillers and literary fiction, so I'm going to suggest one from each for you that I have loved and enjoyed
For you in fantasy I have a favorite of mine Elantris (Elantris, #1) by Brandon Sanderson , for thriller Tick Tock by Dean Koontz it's a little older but I'm guessing where it's Dean Koontz a library should have a copy if you are library goer that is. And for literary fiction I have The Help by Kathryn Stockett (I got lost in this one)

All I have suggested I have gave 5 stars

message 41: by Claire (last edited May 26, 2018 11:50AM) (new)

Claire  | 66 comments Thank you, Carrie! Going to try to find them all and read them.

message 42: by Tawallah (new)

Tawallah | 179 comments I sent Manuel a message with my picks for June.

message 43: by Alannah (new)

I've sent mine to June (on this thread) and have received mine from Gemma.

message 44: by amber (new)

amber (thelittlematchgirl) | 371 comments I've sent mine to Tamara, and Leslie sent me mine a few hours ago.

I'll be reading The Misanthrope by Molière.

message 45: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Agha-Jaffar | 1026 comments I haven't heard back from Raul yet.

I received amber's and will be reading Courtesans: Money, Sex and Fame in the Nineteenth Century by Katie Hickman. Looking forward to it.

Thank you, amber.

message 46: by Alannah (new)

Claire wrote: "Thank you, Carrie! Going to try to find them all and read them."

Don't worry about getting them all unless you really want to. You only need to pick one. A lot of people give choices so it's easier.

message 47: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 235 comments Recommendations sent to Claire

message 48: by Carrie (new)

Carrie  (icanhasbooks) | 60 comments I thought I was suggesting to Claire, but it's Nancy. I have messaged her with her recommendations.

message 49: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Agha-Jaffar | 1026 comments I have started reading Amber's recommendation, Courtesans: Money, Sex and Fame in the Nineteenth Century by Katie Hickman.

So far, so good. I like the topic and I'm enjoying her engaging style of writing.

I still haven't heard from Raul about the books I recommended. I don't know if he didn't like the choices or if he decided not to participate.

message 50: by Carrie (new)

Carrie  (icanhasbooks) | 60 comments I messaged Nancy, she said she wasn't able to participate.

« previous 1