World, Writing, Wealth discussion

World & Current Events > Transportation

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16088 comments Personal and public transportation consume probably trillions of USD and feed oil, insurance, road construction, car manufacturing and other giants.
Some tendencies like growing number of home-based jobs, deliveries, alternative energy may revolutionize the current transportation ecosystem. Do you think we'll need asphalt roads 50 years from now? Will personal drones take over cars, maybe?

message 2: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 6184 comments Personal drones, as in flying vehicles?

message 3: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16088 comments Yep, as far as I know are already being tested

message 4: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 6184 comments Wow. Jetsons.

message 5: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan I mostly work from home, or commute inter-state. A personal drone with a 1200 km range would suit me.

message 6: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 11808 comments My futuristic novels have the advanced solution for city travel as you get into a small capsule, dial in where you want to go, and it takes you via an underground tube system. However, I think roads will always be needed. Personal aircraft would, in my view, be too polluting and too energy inefficient, although no doubt some of the rich will use them.

message 7: by Scout (last edited May 22, 2018 08:42PM) (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 6184 comments So Elon has the right idea?

message 8: by Michel (new)

Michel Poulin My dream is about towns and cities built on the vertical plane (meaning towers), in order to save precious soil. By towers, I really mean ONE big tower that would concentrate the cities residences, business offices, shops and community services in one big, tall building. Such a tower would allow everything to be within easy walking distance (plus an elevator ride). Each tower-city would be surrounded by green spaces and the tower-cities, being separated by a few kilometers, would be linked by an underground subway system. A large landing platform at the top of each tower would allow helicopters to take off and land.

message 9: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 11808 comments Scout wrote: "So Elon has the right idea?"

Possibly, but Elon seems to be thinking much bigger. I was only thinking in terms of around cities. As an aside, in that particular novel, each large building had nodes, so you could go visit someone anywhere in the city without going outside :-). The buildings were large, something perhaps like what Michel was thinking.

message 10: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Mainor | 2329 comments Michel wrote: "My dream is about towns and cities built on the vertical plane (meaning towers), in order to save precious soil. By towers, I really mean ONE big tower that would concentrate the cities residences,..."
This was my premise for the alternate world in my book Prisoners of Utopia. The alternate earth is so overpopulated cities have become collections of these city-sized structures. In my version, the poor and undesirable were still segregated into older buildings that haven't yet been knocked down and redeveloped into the shiny new towers. They're forced to "commute" in to provide the labor and services the well-to-do still need.