Aussie Readers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > A&U Giveaways - May

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Allen and Unwin (allenandunwin) | 78 comments As we were a bit late in getting last month's books out, our latest round of book giveaways are a little later too so your TBR piles can catch up! Hopefully you received something to get you excited, otherwise there's plenty more here:

The Far-Back Country - A superbly written and compelling novel about the bonds of family and home set against the outback landscape, The Far-Back Country is an extraordinary story about memory, mistaken identity, false knowledge and how the idea of family can define us.

Inappropriation: A Novel - A search for belonging in Sydney's Eastern Suburbs turns into a riotous satire of identity politics in this wildly irreverent coming-of-age story. Uproariously funny, but written with extraordinary acuity about the intersections of gender, sexual politics, race, and technology, Inappropriation is literary satire at its best.

A Room at the Manor - A story of love, family, hope and trust, this will delight every reader keen to find their place in the world. A heart-warming story that’s a treat for the senses — perfect for those who love Cathy Kelly and Maeve Binchy.

The Kiss Quotient - a heartwarming and refreshing debut novel from Helen Hoang that proves one thing: there's not enough data in the world to predict what will make your heart tick.

We See the Stars - a haunting and deeply moving novel from Kate van Hooft with a brilliant voice in the tradition of The Eye of the Sheep and Jasper Jones. Simon is an eleven-year old boy who lives in a world of silence, lists and numbers. He hasn't spoken for years and he doesn't know why. But when his teacher goes missing, he knows he's the only one who can save her.

You can learn more about these books, and request one or many of them, over on our website:
www.allenandunwin.com/aussie-readers

Let us know if any of these take your fancy, and good luck

message 2: by Amanda - (new)

Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews (amanda-mrsbsbookreviews) | 11 comments These all look great. Thanks for the opportunity Allen & Unwin.

message 3: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 4830 comments Thank you Allen & Unwin. YAY more giveaways. How lucky are we 😊😊

message 4: by Natty (new)

Natty (booknerdnatty) | 328 comments Thank You Allen & Unwin... have submitted.. Far Back Country sounds really interesting

Veronica ⭐️ | 2270 comments Think I'll give Inappropriation a try. I love satire.

Lee at ReadWriteWish (leeatreadwritewish) | 262 comments Thanks!

message 7: by Jo (new)

Jo Rushby | 236 comments I think the Far Country and Bluebottle seem interesting.

message 8: by Deb (last edited May 18, 2018 08:44AM) (new)

Deb | 215 comments WOW! So many choices.
I am liking the sound of Bluebottle.

Thanks so much Allen & Unwin.

message 9: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (cloggiedownunder) | 8724 comments Thanks for offering, Allen & Unwin, we love your giveaways!!

message 10: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 72341 comments Mod
Wow! More fabulous releases! Thanks for the opportunity A&U :)

message 11: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1894 comments Thank you Allen and Unwin for the brilliant read I just finished The Yellow House by Emily O'Grady by Emily O'Grady and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have reviewed here on GR and will add it to my wordpress as well. Cheers!

message 12: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Houllis | 32 comments I read the Kiss Quotient Thanks Allen & Unwin for the book I loved it highly recommend it to readers.

message 13: by Noelene (new)

Noelene | 364 comments I love the novels you are publishing at present. Even though some are not my usual genre I have enjoyed reading them. Quality writing.

message 14: by marlin1 (new)

marlin1 | 413 comments How did I miss this post! Thank you A&U...off to do some requesting :)

message 15: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Houllis | 32 comments thank you for the opportunity.

message 16: by Donna (new)

Donna | 87 comments A&U you just keep coming up with more great books. Thank you. :)

message 17: by Allen and Unwin (new)

Allen and Unwin (allenandunwin) | 78 comments So glad you're all finding something amongst our new books to pique your interest, especially if they're taking you outside your normal genre or reading habits!

Huge thanks to all who have shared their reviews of past books too, always interesting to see some different takes on them :)

message 18: by Dale (new)

Dale Harcombe | 6120 comments Thanks A&U. I think The Far-Back Country and A Room at the Manor look good.

message 19: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette | 399 comments I added my name, I hope to be successful for Bluebottle

message 20: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Jen wrote: "Is there somewhere I should send a link to my GR review of the books I receive?"

Jen you can send your review links to publicity@allenandunwin.com

message 21: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

You're welcome Jen :)

message 22: by Suz (new)

Suz | 3605 comments I have entered, thank you!

message 23: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Houllis | 32 comments theses look great reads .

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I have entered

message 25: by Steve (new)

Steve Maxwell (goodreadscomstevem) Read We See The Stars and enjoyed it. You never do find out why Simon doesn't talk, which I found annoying but it didn't change my mind about the book. It was a great story, beautifully told, and vivid in its descriptions.

message 26: by Allen and Unwin (new)

Allen and Unwin (allenandunwin) | 78 comments It may already be June (how did that happen?!) but here's a couple more giveaways to keep you going until we make our next batch of advance copies available.

We've got signed copies of the recently published Eggshell Skull up for grabs - it's been getting rave reviews by all who read it, and Bri has been all over the media this past week sharing her powerful story - enter here http://bit.ly/EggshellSkull (but be quick - giveaway ends Sunday).

And here's an advance copy giveaway for Scrublands, it's one of our most anticipated books of the year with huge amounts of staff love, and plenty more coming in from booksellers with a 5 star review from Books + Publishing too. Find our reviews, and win one of thirty advance copies here http://bit.ly/ScrublandsBlog.

message 27: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Thanks once again Allen & Unwin :)

message 28: by Noelene (new)

Noelene | 364 comments Great giveaways. Thank you once again for these.

message 29: by Jo (new)

Jo Rushby | 236 comments Thank you Allen & Unwin The far back country and Bluebottle looks interesting reading.

message 30: by Tracey Allen (new)

Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum (carpelibrum) | 814 comments Steve wrote: "Read We See The Stars and enjoyed it. You never do find out why Simon doesn't talk, which I found annoying but it didn't change my mind about the book. It was a great story, beautifully told, and v..."

Mind the spoilers Steve.

message 31: by Deb (new)

Deb | 215 comments I really liked the characters in We See The Stars. Grandma was great, as was grandpa, Davey and the teacher. Such a variety of personalities, all very interesting and I found I was trying to guess what they may do next.

message 32: by Jo (new)

Jo Rushby | 236 comments I have just finished We SeeThe Stars. I couldn't put it down.

message 33: by Donna (new)

Donna | 87 comments Thank you A&U. I am slowly getting through my pile and will be starting my next book tonight. Lovesome by Sally Seltmann. Stayed tuned for a review coming soon! :)

message 34: by Jo (new)

Jo Rushby | 236 comments My review of We see the Stars is on goodreads.

message 35: by Natty (new)

Natty (booknerdnatty) | 328 comments Thanks A&U received my review copies for The Far-Back Country and Inappropriation: A Novel, once my uni exams are done, I'll get to reward myself with some reading :)

message 36: by cherryjellybeans (new)

cherryjellybeans (cherryandjellybeans) | 20 comments Thanks Allen and Unwin for We See the Stars, can't wait to read it.

message 37: by marlin1 (new)

marlin1 | 413 comments Thanks A&U, my books came yesterday and I look forward to them

message 38: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette | 399 comments Thanks Allen & Unwin my books arrived yesterday Bluebottle and The Far-Back Country couldn't wait have started reading, now have 3 books on the go...

message 39: by Noelene (new)

Noelene | 364 comments Thank you for my copies of Blue Bottle and The Farback Country. Holidays start in 2 weeks, so dedicating myself to full time reading some days.

message 40: by Deb (new)

Deb | 215 comments Just starting to read Bluebottle. Got straight into it! Going to be a good read.

message 41: by Noelene (new)

Noelene | 364 comments I am reading Bluebottle as part of the Quarterly challenge. Great read. One of the best Aussie books I have read this year. Couldn't wait until my holidays to start it.

message 42: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette | 399 comments Thank you A&U, my review of Bluebottle will be posted soon. Loved the read

message 43: by Deb (new)

Deb | 215 comments I really enjoyed Bluebottle.

message 44: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Bluebottle is down for me to read very soon :)

message 45: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette | 399 comments Bluebottle

Thank you A&U this is a lovely read. My only concerns are the local place names. Australia is still a bit of an enigma to the rest of the world. I feel the book could be a little too localised to hit international book shops. I hope I'm wrong.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 46: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

It's actually nice to be centred in Australia and not written for the US market though Jeanette. Nothing frustrates me more!

message 47: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1894 comments I have just requested Bluebottle - I could not wait, I need to read this. The Kiss also sounded very interesting based on some friend's reviews.

message 48: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Bluebottle sounds intriguing!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.