The Chronicle's of St Mary's Fans discussion

a new and thorough fan

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christina (new)

Christina (cgleason) | 1 comments i couldn’t tell you HOW i ended up with JODTAA on my kindle. one day it wasn’t there and then POOF! it was. perhaps i slept-bought it? perhaps a slightly frazzled historian put it there for me to find on a particularly crappy day...

regardless. that was mere weeks ago and i’ve since read the entire series and the shorts. i apologize to my wife and friends (and a sane sleeping schedule) for my new kindle appendage. i didn’t plan on it—honest!

these stories are filled with voices with which i fell utterly in love. found families are my favorite thing in media to consume, and this family has become a fast favorite.

i’m thrilled to be a new fan and can’t wait to see where the story goes. cheers, jodi!

Timothy D. Mahoney | 5 comments I stumbled upon JODTAA a couple of years ago when I was browsing Audible. They had it in sale. I scanned the teaser, thought it was interesting and picked it up. Was instantly addicted. Spread the addiction to my wife and now we have ALL the St Mary's saga on Audible. Love the Zara Ramm narrations! Have lots of books on Kindle but there are some unique advantages to Audible versions. Like sitting in the living room and listening to one of the St Mary's stories with my wife via the connected Echo device.

message 3: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin Davies | 1 comments Got first St.Marys book on free book of the month ebook, never been fan of ebooks, audible format but have whole series on all three, so can ebook till I go out, then paperback by day, then audiobook to drift off to sleep or when to ill to hold my book.

Love all the characters and as a sci fi and historical fiction addict it’s like chocolate margaritas for me. Please keep writing Jodi. St.Mary,s world is so much better than my world don’t take ride along pass away. I will make the tea !! Promise

message 4: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (lucyblight) | 1 comments Another newbie here!

I discovered St Mary's a few weeks ago and fear I am already addicted. I am just coming to the end of the 3rd book and I am trying to resist the temptation of taking them all out from my library in one go...

I was wondering if anyone could recommend what order/when to read the short companion stories?
Is chronologically as they were released best? Or is best to go back to some when I have more knowledge of later events?

So glad there's a dedicated St Mary's group. Glad to have found you!

message 5: by Donna (new)

Donna | 13 comments Hi Lucy, I don't usually read companion books. But I missed St Mary's so much, and nothing I've read since has really entranced me like they did. So I've started to read the short stories, after reading the main ones. I'd say read them after or along with the main books otherwise you may not recognise some of the characters.

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather | 5 comments Hi Lucy
I'd read them in order except for perhaps The Very First Damn Thing, which makes more sense if you read it later because of some of the characters (although chronologically it comes first). If you look on Audible.com it gives you the books in order. And they are great to listen to!

message 7: by Emme (new)

Emme | 4 comments Hiya - agree with Heather above. I would read in chronological order except for ‘The Very First Damn Thing’ - which is more fun to read once you know the characters a bit more. May I also suggest that once you have enjoyed the St Mary’s series you also try Jodie’s other books? I was sad to leave St Mary’s for a while but her other books had me equally hooked. Can’t wait for the sequel to White Silence, which is out soon!

message 8: by Linda (new)

Linda | 1 comments Just this month I raced through the nine full-length books in less than three weeks, then got the collected short stories, ("The Long & Short of It", which has all the short stories through "A Perfect Storm") and today read "Christmas Past." Next I think I'll read "The Steam Pump Jump." Haven't decided whether to go for "The Battersea Barricades" after that or try one of the non-St. Mary's novels. Recommendations?

message 9: by Heather (new)

Heather | 5 comments The Battersea Barricades could be read almost at any point but is great and gives a lot more background on some characters. It is only a short story so I'd get that and White Silence so you don't feel too lost when you've finished Barricades! I'm in the process of listening to all of the Chronicles again so I'm ready for the new book when it's released!

message 10: by Peter (new)

Peter Birchwood | 1 comments I've got in the habit of when Jodi releases a new book I read through the series again before starting the new one. As part of her universe is that the US has closed its borders, I wonder if Trump is going to take a hint!