Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Issues with Quotes > Disappearing quotes

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kalin (last edited Jul 29, 2014 03:22PM) (new)

Kalin (kalein) | 10 comments Hello!

I've just added a few (longish: 1.5-3 pages) quotes from Steven Erikson's House of Chains--which inexplicably disappeared less than 5 minutes later. This is the second or third time this has happened. Does anyone know anything about it?

If there's some hidden policy about the permissible length of quotes, it's hidden indeed: I couldn't find it anywhere. Besides, those quotes show up alright when I post them. They disappear only afterwards--as if someone deletes them on purpose.

(You can see the last lost quote in my Librarian edits: https://www.goodreads.com/librarian/u..., #75370031. The link at the top--https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/1305163 --leads to an error message.)

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41973 comments Mod
Quotes do have to follow fair use guidelines. Those sound like they are exceeding them.

Quotes should be just that, not excerpts.

message 3: by Kalin (new)

Kalin (kalein) | 10 comments Thank you!

Is there a hard-and-fast limit for fair use? Once again, I couldn't find any (besides the one automatically imposed by the GR system).

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

No, fair use guidelines tend towards the vague side. However, I believe your quotes are not getting deleted by humans, but by an automated process that deletes excessively long quotes. It probably does have a hard guideline, but I have no idea what it is.

message 5: by Kalin (new)

Kalin (kalein) | 10 comments Thanks again!

Should we ask the GR tech team, then? Any suggestions which group/forum to use?

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Best option is probably the Contact Us link on the Help page.

message 7: by Kalin (new)

Kalin (kalein) | 10 comments I put up the question in the Goodreads Feedback group:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 8: by Banjomike (last edited Jul 30, 2014 02:51PM) (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Sometimes a jumbo quote will give the impression that it is advertising the book as well as being too long. That would probably qualify as spam...

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachandreading) | 3 comments BUT what about short quotes disappearing?? I've posted several short quotes from a book, and a few hours/days later they are simply gone. HELP!

message 10: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments RacheL wrote: "BUT what about short quotes disappearing?? I've posted several short quotes from a book, and a few hours/days later they are simply gone. HELP!"

Give us a sample quote, which book, what tags did you add...

message 11: by Rachel (last edited Aug 08, 2014 12:42PM) (new)

Rachel (rachandreading) | 3 comments “This switch from big sister to little sister was easy. Give us a true discussion, and I would definitely consider myself his elder and wiser. But physically, it pleased me to be smaller, weaker, and looked after. I thought his new concern arose out of the new beauty he saw in me. The Perpetua of a year ago was not so pretty and delicate. Her clothing did not fit so winningly or her hair curl just right around the temples. It did not occur to me that Saturninus himself was the changed one.” ― Amy Rachel Peterson, Perpetua: A Bride, a Martyr, a Passion
TAGS: brother, sister, siblings, beauty,

message 12: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments RacheL wrote: "“This switch from big sister to little sister was easy. Give us a true discussion, and I would definitely consider myself his elder and wiser. But physically, it pleased me to be smaller, weaker, a..."

That looks OK to me. The other two Peterson quotes you added also seem OK so I would re-add this one and see what happens.

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachandreading) | 3 comments Thanks for taking time to reply, Banjomike! I agree with what you said, however the above quote I've added 2-3 times and it vanishes. :( Oh well, I guess I can continue trying. Do you think HTML matters at all? I used some in this quote but it too disappeared.

Saturus: “Do you enjoy riding?”
Sometimes there is nothing to do but be completely honest. This is me, I thought, and chided myself against the man-pleasing impulse. Only the fear of God…
Perpetua: “Yes, I really do. I’m not allowed to in Carthage, only here.”

message 14: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments RacheL wrote: "Thanks for taking time to reply, Banjomike! I agree with what you said, however the above quote I've added 2-3 times and it vanishes. :( Oh well, I guess I can continue trying. Do you think HTML matters at all? I used some in this quote but it too disappeared.

Saturus: “Do you enjoy riding?”
Sometimes there is nothing to do but be completely honest. This is me, I thought, and chided myself against the man-pleasing impulse. Only the fear of God…
Perpetua: “Yes, I really do. I’m not allowed to in Carthage, only here.” "

HTML in quotes is not as extensive as it is in messages. If you stick to Bold and Italic and don't overuse them you should be OK. Not many quotes really NEED to be tarted-up.