What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Young adult book about a magic world under New York

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Badger (new)

Badger Hey there, I've been trying to find this book I read as a kid for years. I don't remember the exact plot, but I can give a ton of little details. (Spoilers? Maybe). There's this magical world under a city (New York i think?) that this boy and girl escape to through a staircase in the ground. A few random details: in this world, they all wear something called underwear that the boy at first thinks is strange, but they all wear it because it's thermal and helps regulate body heat or something like that. Many kids have cell phones embedded in their finger tips. People can fly by riding on strange thermals. The boy and girl have to go through a set of trials for one reason or another. Many of the kids in this story have magic powers, and they help them in these trials. The first trial has a bunch of branching pathways, and the kids have to solve a riddle to decide which ways to go. The boy and girl make it to the end, and their prize is a bubble that contains an animal. The boy gets a gray dog, the girl gets a pink cat. The enemies of the story, a gang of bully type boys, win and they all get black horses. At some point the boy gets shoes, sneakers, that are extremely quiet like their namesake, I think his name might be Eric although I'm not positive. I know these details are pretty incoherent, but this has been bothering me ever since I was a kid. If anyone can help me out, I'd be super grateful.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40646 comments Mod
Badger, as you saw in the popup box when you posted your comment, please tell us around what year you read the book. This makes your query easier to solve.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40646 comments Mod
Badger left the group. Moving to Abandoned.

message 6: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Rats, now we'll probably never know.

message 7: by Lou (new)

Lou Rocama | 438 comments I'm just glad they didn't delete their post. It has a good description and is very likely one of the three suggestions, or they wouldn't have left the group immediately.