Play Book Tag discussion

The Life of Charlemagne
This topic is about The Life of Charlemagne
Archive: Other Books > The Life of Charlemagne - Einhard - 4 Stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments This is a short but intimate biography of King Charles the Great also known as Charlemagne. Einhard served as minister of public works under Charlemagne, as favored position, as well has having responsibility over many of Charlemagne's abbeys. After Charlemagne's death, Einhard was commissioned by Charlemagne's son, Louis the Pious, to write this biography of his father.

Because of this, I questioned some of the accuracy or at least bias of this account. Here is what I found on Wikipedia. "Most biographies of the Middle Ages related only good deeds of their subject, with many embellishments to improve their subject. Einhard's biography, however, is considered, for the most part, to be a trustworthy account of Charlemagne's life. It is considered an excellent account of earlier Medieval life. Despite Einhard's limitations, since it was his first attempt at a major writing, the British historian Thomas Hodgkin said, "almost all our real, vivifying knowledge of Charles the Great is derived from Einhard, and that the Vita Karoli Magni is one of the most precious literary bequests of the early Middle Ages."

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9343 comments For some reason I was always interested and intrigued by Charlemagne. As always, I remain in awe of your century challenge.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I didn't realize you were reading books from different centuries until I just perused your "read" books. I got interested in popes of all things. As well as French and English monarchies dating all the way back. I have gotten some books recently on the House of Borgia, after watching some TV shows. It isn't always easy to get accurate accounts the further back you go in history.

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments Rachel wrote: "I didn't realize you were reading books from different centuries until I just perused your "read" books. I got interested in popes of all things. As well as French and English monarchies dating all..."

Yes, I did a personal challenge of reading one book from each C.E. century. 20th century being before 1950 and 21st being 2018)

Here is a link to my challenges. Scroll down a bit and you will see challenge.
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

If you like the English monarchies all the way back, I recommend A Brief History of British Kings and Queens: British Royal History from Alfred the Great to the Present. I really enjoyed it. There is apparently a non-brief history version also, but the author refers to it as a tome.

I have not read anything specifically about the popes an am becoming interested in the French monarchies after reading the Three Musketeers series which the later books focuses more on King Louis XIV and the royal court.

I had never heard of the House of Borgia. Let me know if they are interesting. Next year a challenge will be B.C.E. books.