Tiger's Curse (The Tiger Saga, #1) Tiger's Curse question

Does anybody else hate this book with a burning passion?
Elizabeth Elizabeth Jul 29, 2014 02:42PM
see topic above. that is all.

YES. There are so many problems with this book, I can't even begin. But I'll try.

1. The characters were so flat and lifeless. Kelsey is as dumb as a box of rocks--she asks a woman with an Indian accent, of obvious Indian heritage, on a flight to freakin' India if she's Indian. She's slow on the upkeep, thinks like a ten-year-old cartoon character (oh gosh! oh no! I'm so happy!). Most of the book I wanted to smack her in the face with a two-by-four.
Ren has really nothing going for him. What is his character exactly? He's hundreds of years old, a tiger shape-shifter thing, he has a crush on Kelsey (for no discernible reason), is nice, and is so super hot. His brother, Kishan, is pretty much the same character, only flirty and with black fur.

2. Racism. Why, may I ask, is a white girl from America the choice to break an Indian curse? Why is this white character able to figure out all these clues that other, Indian characters, just can't seem to put together? Especially when she normally sounds and acts like an elementary student? This book is a classic example of the "white savior" theme that seems popular today, where all of the POC in the work NEED the help of the white hero/heroine to succeed.
It's also worth noting that all of the Indian characters were simply caricatures--the "exotic" (gag) flight attendant, the two sexy brothers, the truck driver who cannot make himself understood with broken English (actually a lot of people in India can speak pretty decent English, ahem), the priest who is wise and Yoda-like, and the scholar.
AND THEN the author goes on to mention that Ren and Kishan's mother was Asian. Um. Asia is a whole continent. You know. That includes India. So when you describe Ren's features as "Asian" that's not very helpful because "Asian" can cover a whole lot of ground.

3. Shoddy research. The myths aren't entirely accurate--especially the ones about the Kappa, which are Japanese. Regardless of the fact that Ren's mother is ambiguously Asian, the fact is that the Japanese were not in contact with India at the time, so how these creatures are there, and how Ren knows about them is a mystery.

4. The Writing. From the very beginning, I knew that I would have a problem with this book, because in the very beginning, Houck made a very basic mistake. And by basic I mean middle school. I mean throwing in an absolutely useless piece of information in a paragraph.

"Together we blew up dozens of multicolored balloons with a helium tank. The kids were in a frenzy! They ran to every booth and counted out their coins so they could spend every penny. Red seemed to be the most popular balloon color. Matt took the money while I inflated the balloons."

It reads like one of those standardized test questions where you have to edit the paragraph and fix what's wrong. The fact is that nobody cares about what color of balloon is most popular. Nobody.
Besides that, the writing is just cliche after cliche, with weak description and cringe-worthy dialogue.

5. Mostly it was just so unrealistic. I don't care what kind of parent you are, nobody just lets their just eighteen-year-old daughter fly off to India indefinitely with someone they just met to release a tiger into the wild. And who gives a seventeen-year-old girl a job at the traveling circus doing God knows what anyway? On the spot, at that? And Kelsey has been taking care of this tiger for what, a couple of weeks? And trained professionals think that she can handle a full grown tiger in India, where she knows no one. And once again, a white girl from America is the one to break the curse?

Don't get me wrong, I really, really wanted to like the book--the premise seemed so, so promising. But like I said, it just fell flat.

Well, well, well, I have finished the 3rd book in the series. Book 1 is fairly acceptable (overall) but it gets worse as the series develops! Here's my take:

1. Kelsey, Ren n bro (I forgot his name!)
The dynamic among these 3 is so childish and exaggerate, it gets worse as the book goes it can almost make me gag. The author intends to make Kelsey likeable and lovely but at times her thinking is just plain silly. EG she wants to sacrifice herself to keep the bros safe but it is jolly obvious that these guys are so crazy over her, they'll be devastated if they ever learn she dies for them. Not a clever execution in storytelling.

2. Story development
Oh dear, it's like "watching" cartoon! Ta-da! They all changed into Hindu gods and goddess in the blink of an eye (with full costumes).

The cross between worlds is just so poorly explained or weaved into the fabric of the story, it appears cartoonish.

Violet (last edited Aug 05, 2014 04:09AM ) Aug 05, 2014 04:08AM   0 votes
I'm very early in the book, but one thing that I do like is that she doesn't demonize foster families.

BUT THE PROLOGUE WAS SO VAMPIRE DIARIES. There's a bad and a good brother and they betray each other for a girl (who's totally Kelsey's previous life/lookalike) and I feel like I'm reading this abomination all over again. Then again, she probably can do it better. Anyone could.

I have to disagree with the haters. I actually listened to the audiobooks on Audible rather than read them. I thought the storyline was fantastic and the narrator is superb. I can't wait for Tiger's Dream but it won't be released until the movie production is completed. Once the movie is out the book will be out. I think for those who've read it then that's the mistake. These books are made for audio especially with the Latin words used.

keep reading... you are to fall in love without your say so. You just cant help but fall in love.

I totally hate this book. The writing was atrocious, and the characters were even worse. Kelsey annoyed the heck out of me! I just wanted to strangle her the entire time, and I had to force myself to finish it. I don't get why people love it.

Nikita (last edited Aug 19, 2014 12:39PM ) Aug 19, 2014 12:38PM   0 votes
No, I love this book with a burning passion.

Elizabeth I think it has interesting concepts, that just aren't executed as well as they could have been. But Ren is better than Edward, that's for darn sure. ...more
Aug 20, 2014 12:21PM · flag

Nope, actually loved the series. I'm so glad there are many books for our varied interests and enjoyment.
:-)

I agree with Nikita. I love this book with a burning passion too. I love the mythology and writing. I could feel the emotions of each character and loved the idea. The beginning was kind of boring, but Colleen made up for it after a few chapters. (view spoiler) It wasn't really predictable either. Except for Ren's secret. Kelsey was irritating at times, but I loved her. Everyone is annoying at times and she went through a lot. It is not possible for me to hate this book in any way. I understand that people are entitled to their own opinions but I love this book so much that I can't help defending it.

Oh my god NO of course not!! This book has made me Love reading !! I admit the beginning is a little boring but when she discovers Ren's secret after that its a whole new ball game .This book is fabulous i just couldn't get enough of it . The passion Ren and Kelsey have for each other is out of this world ! The series is absolutely to die for ! There is a twist every step of the way . If you just continue reading i am sure you will fall in love with it.

Shadé NightShade i totally understand how you feel but just keep reading, i can promise you that it will be wroth it.
Aug 22, 2014 09:57AM · flag