Play Book Tag discussion

History of Wolves
This topic is about History of Wolves
Archive: Other Books > History of Wolves/ Emily Fridlund - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments (Cross Posted to May Decathlon)

The central character in this book is Linda (Madeline or Mattie to different people) and much of the action centers around events that happen when she is about 14. Linda lives in a cabin with her parents in what was originally part of a commune that they were part of. Linda is a bit of a recluse, who is closer to her dogs than to folks her own age. Two big events take place that year, a new history teacher comes to town and a family with a 4 year old boy moves in across the lake from her family's cabin. The story is told in first person and does jump into the future and also describes some of the Linda's childhood.

Hum......I'm really not sure how to review this book. The descriptions, especially of nature are excellent and really create an atmosphere of isolation and desperation. There was some mystery about each of the two main plot points, but unfortunately, I didn't really see how either of the big events really affected Linda anymore than just her odd family upbringing. I felt a bit underwhelmed at the end of the book because I didn't feel like there was any type of closure. Although the quality of the writing was high, I am a bit surprised that this was on the short-list for the man booker prize (perhaps I'm missing something and could use a book club discussion to sway my opinion ;-)

message 2: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments I'm reading this now and really enjoying the writing. The description really put you into this world, and set the tone and mood for the story. So far though, not too much has happened, lol (I'm about 1/4 the way in).

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I’ll look for your review...... I might be missing something, or perhaps it’s just my current mood.

Susie | 4488 comments I really enjoyed this book but did find it a strange addition to the Booker shortlist.

Nicole D. | 1497 comments i loved it.

Anita Pomerantz | 6758 comments For some reason, I really enjoyed this book! Bu

Anita Pomerantz | 6758 comments But I hate using the app to write substantive posts. Be back later sigh.