Retro Reads discussion

General > Goodreads Latest "Improvement"

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Christmas Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 1750 comments Mod
Hi some of you may have already read my posts about this in the GH group or Reading the detectives. I just needed to get the ok from both my fellow moderators before posting here.

This will be of interest if you read a lot of series.

GR is looking at changing the way series are displayed. At the moment they are trialling it on members of the Feedback group only. Emily's thread header was very misleading. (they have finally changed that.)This change affects how series displays on desktops too.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
Make sure you check Super Librarian David's example, which now goes over a whopping 129 pages.

If you are a reader of a short series, not so much of a problem. A long series like the Perry Mason will stretch over 6 pages.

Also some of the unhappy Feedback members are Librarians who do a lot of work in book series.

This may not affect a lot of you (I'm not a big series reader myself) But if you are & you don't like the changes, join Feedback & have your say. (Or if you love it have your say - I'm a democratic type! :D )

NB: If you don't join feedback the series pages will still display normally for you - for now.

message 2: by Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽, Moderator (new)

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 1228 comments Mod
Ugh, in the last week or so GR made that new series page layout standard for all GR members. I think they may have made a few changes based on feedback. E.g., you don't see the full blurb for books and it looks like you get more books on a single page, though each entry is startlingly large, if you're used to the way the series page used to look.

message 3: by Christmas Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Moderator (last edited Jun 28, 2018 04:35PM) (new)

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ wrote: "Ugh, in the last week or so GR made that new series page layout standard for all GR members. I think they may have made a few changes based on feedback. E.g., you don't see the full blurb for books..."

This was a bad misstep by GR - there are lots of websites that offer better series information - including Wikipedia pages for the authors.

I'm dreading what GR no doubt has in store for groups. :(

Yes Tadiana, typical GR - make a few cosmetic changes so they look like they are listening. Anything where there is developer time (i.e. $$$) involved they don't go back.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 157 comments If there is a SM site that cares less for it's users than GR (besides FB!) I would like to know what it is!

Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "If there is a SM site that cares less for it's users than GR (besides FB!) I would like to know what it is!"

You ever tried Airbnb? So like GR. Once really great online site got too big too fast, now run by the greedy. Disenchanted low level staff leave & are replaced by lovely people who have no clue what they are doing.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 157 comments Carol,

I have not tried AirBnB. I see a lot of mentions around the web. It seems really popular, but there are some problems with it.

message 7: by Hana (new)

Hana | 1104 comments Mod
lol Andrea--at first I translated SM as sadomasochism. Maybe both apply :(

The quest for constant 'growth' is a Silicon Valley, venture capitalism obsession here in the US. GR and AirBNB have totally lost sight of their original missions. The old GR idea of being a site for serious readers has gone. I saw an interesting comment from someone who knows a GR coder and the aim is totally focused on 'attracting' Millennials (who are not particularly interested) and getting clicks and page views and advertising. Not to mention integration with sales platforms like Amazon.

message 8: by Christmas Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Moderator (last edited Jun 30, 2018 02:11PM) (new)

Hana wrote: "lol Andrea--at first I translated SM as sadomasochism. Maybe both apply :(

The quest for constant 'growth' is a Silicon Valley, venture capitalism obsession here in the US. GR and AirBNB have tota..."

Ha! The comment you saw doesn't surprise me much.

Where GR has to be a little careful is they are still very dependent on a volunteer workforce. Changes to the way reused ISBNs are handled & the series page (which looks OK for librarians in edit mode) mean some librarians aren't doing those edits. So they have staff doing it, which means they get behind with their own work. They may be trying for the Millennials but their more experienced volunteers I imagine are over 40.

I just spotted an unanswered page numbering request from the 12th of June.(in the Librarians Group) Admittedly there is a minor query with it, but something like that would have normally been done within an hour as recently as last year.

message 9: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 352 comments It is the American business mindset of 'big growth or it is failing.' Instead of valuing the success that they have and keeping their loyal customer base, they play fast and loose with us in an attempt to lure a completely different demographic.

I do not want GR to deteriorate.

❇Critterbee wrote: "I do not want GR to deteriorate. "

That ship has sailed. :(

message 11: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 352 comments This recommendation though!

"Because you enjoyed The Picture of Dorian Gray:
Betsy-Tacy (Betsy-Tacy, #1) by Maud Hart Lovelace"

Whaaaa????? Who is making these decisions? 'Well, she liked a deeply disturbing tale about cruelty, hypocrisy, immorality and corrupt decadence, maybe she will like a squeaky clean, precious children's story of 5 year old best friends..."

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 157 comments @Hana
@Carol

If GR metric of success is trying to attract millennials, that is futile. If millennials aren’t already bookworms, GR isn’t “suddenly” going to be turned into bookworms by GR. Reading itself has so much more completion in terms of leisure activity.

If GR doesn’t value people like us bec WHO ARE bookworms, maybe at some point GR will be abandoned altogether once they see millennials aren’t logging onto this site on a daily basis as are the people like us who use the site.

message 13: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (dandelion_cottage) | 272 comments Another friend told me that, no matter what she reads, the Betsy-Tacy books are always recommended. (I do highly recommend them, though. 😊)

❇Critterbee wrote: "This recommendation though!

"Because you enjoyed The Picture of Dorian Gray:
Betsy-Tacy (Betsy-Tacy, #1) by Maud Hart Lovelace"

Whaaaa????? Who is making these decisions? 'Well, she liked a deepl..."

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 157 comments More comments on GR push to attract millennials...

I keep seeing everywhere that millennials don't have a lot of money, graduate from college and have to work in Starbucks etc., are defaulting on their student loans--in other words, many of them are in financial difficulties.

I'm not bashing these young people as I have seen elsewhere on the web, but WE baby boomers have the money to buy books--and they are an expensive luxury. I am not rich by any means, but I choose not to keep a car or a television/cable. It all goes to the buying of books. Most of what I read, just can't be found in the libraries where is live.

message 15: by Jackie (last edited Jul 02, 2018 04:50PM) (new)

Jackie | 401 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "If there is a SM site that cares less for it's users than GR (besides FB!) I would like to know what it is!"

FB is evil so I try to avoid it and I'm sad to hear GR is going downhill; not too surprised, however.