Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Black Prism (Lightbringer, #1)
This topic is about The Black Prism
Previous BRs - Authors; U - Z > Week, Brent--The Black Prism informal buddy read starts May 19, 2018

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31620 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss The Black Prism by Brent Weeks.

Synopsis
Guile is the Prism, the most powerful man in the world. He is high priest and emperor, a man whose power, wit, and charm are all that preserves a tenuous peace. Yet Prisms never last, and Guile knows exactly how long he has left to live.

When Guile discovers he has a son, born in a far kingdom after the war that put him in power, he must decide how much he's willing to pay to protect a secret that could tear his world apart

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

re

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Looking forward to starting this this weekend! (Team Tonks)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5269 comments I might be a little late starting because I need to listen to something else for bookshelf bingo.

Rose | 618 comments I'll probably start off pretty slow, because I'm in the middle of about 9 million books right now.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I started reading this today, so I’ll be sure to post my comments in spoiler tags until you guys catch up.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Just after reading chapter 1 I am intrigued and eager to explore this world. (view spoiler)

Rose | 618 comments I just read the first chapter too. It made be super intrigued, but it felt so prologue-y. Prologues have got to be one of my top pet peeves in SFF

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Rose wrote: "I just read the first chapter too. It made be super intrigued, but it felt so prologue-y. Prologues have got to be one of my top pet peeves in SFF"

I agree about the prologues! Just start the story already, authors! :P

message 11: by Rose (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rose | 618 comments Plus if I'm buying into that story, it's super jarring to go into another one!

message 12: by Rose (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rose | 618 comments I'm on chapter 9 now and super happy that wasn't actually a prologue. I like the shift from one perspective to another every chapter. What to you think about the characters so far?

(view spoiler)

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I just finished chapter 9, and I like the changing POVs as well. I find myself equally interested in both storylines, so that’s helpful. Right now I kind of like all the characters even though I assume some will be shown to be the villain later.

(view spoiler)

My prediction on where this story is headed: (view spoiler)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5269 comments I didn't have a chance to start but I'm hoping to either today or tomorrow.

message 15: by Rose (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rose | 618 comments I failed at reading yesterday. I'm hoping to read a large chunk tonight, though.

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5269 comments I started it yesterday and am on Chapter 6. I remember why I ended up dropping last time. I had trouble wrapping my head around the whole color casting thing.

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5269 comments I felt like the beginning of the book was dropping me in the middle of a story that I should already know about.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree, the color thing is confusing at first. I feel like I understand it a little better after reading about the Prism and his abilities. I would like to see more drafting in action, though, to really see how they use different colors.

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5269 comments I'm just picturing people with streams of color coming out their fingers.

message 20: by Rose (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rose | 618 comments I'm about 30 percent in. at around chapter 20 there is an info dump that actually makes the colors make more sense.

As far as the story goes I have the strangest feeling though that

spoiler: (view spoiler)

message 21: by Rose (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rose | 618 comments Major Spoiler (Chapter 35)

(view spoiler)

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

I’m on chapter 31, and my prediction on how the story would unfold was totally wrong! I liked seeing some color fighting in action. I know this is #1 in a series, but I don’t yet see why the story would need to continue into another book with this one already being almost 700 pages!

message 23: by Rose (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rose | 618 comments As I'm reading it I am wondering if I care enough about a second book. I really like Kip's scenes, but I don't know if I'm committed to the plot. I feel like 40% of the way through the first book, it should make me care more.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Rose, I know what you mean. I’m in chapter 46 and I’m still not sure who the main character is (Kip? Gavin? Liv?) or what the quest is in this story.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I’m reading chapter 68. (view spoiler)

message 26: by Rose (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rose | 618 comments I finished! I'm still not sure who the main character was.....

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Rose wrote: "I finished! I'm still not sure who the main character was....."

Do you think you'll continue on with the series?

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5269 comments I'm up to chapter 19.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Just got to chapter 79. (view spoiler)

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

I finished this book. I enjoyed the world building and my favorite characters were Kip and Kerris. There was a lull in the middle where I got bored, but the ending did intrigue me enough to want to read the next book and see what happens with some of the characters. (view spoiler). Lots of good unanswered questions. But I see that there are 4 books yet and the series isn’t even finished, so hopefully the plot will be better in the next book because I can’t imagine what could drag this story out for more than two books.

Mary, I’ll still discuss the book with you as you post!

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5269 comments Rose, I find with this kinds of epic fantasies, there is no real main character. The title makes you think it would be Gavin since he's the Prism. But then the star of these types of series is usually the misfit orphan with undiscovered talents, which would be Kip.

I made a large dent it yesterday. I think I am understanding the how the color magic works better now. I wish he had used a different term for the crazy color drafters than wights. On audio it makes it confusing because there is The White and then there's wights and I've had to do some double takes as to who is being talked about.

message 32: by Rose (last edited May 29, 2018 10:04AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rose | 618 comments I'm sticking around too. I'm not sure if I'll continue on with the series. I know there are five books, which I'm not sure I'm up for based on this one. I liked the writing style for the most part, but I feel like the pacing was off, and not very strategic if that makes sense? It felt like it would have been better off being 200 pages shorter.

As for the characters, Kip was my favorite. I think if he were the major focus I'd continue on. Gavin was good in the beginning, but I feel like he had the potential to be a bad ass and it's just kinda gets away from that. I have a feeling a lot of the next books are going to be him getting bested by his father/various schemers.

message 33: by Rose (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rose | 618 comments Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave wrote: "Rose, I find with this kinds of epic fantasies, there is no real main character. The title makes you think it would be Gavin since he's the Prism. But then the star of these types of series is usua..."

I don't know. I feel like this book is written more towards heroic than epic fantasy.

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5269 comments True and my experience with both is limited.

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5269 comments My aim is to finish the book this week if I can. I have it on audio. But I got sidetracked doing a personal buddy listen with my boyfriend of the Shining.

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5269 comments Rose, I had the same suspicions and am past where they confirmed that.

At first I thought the "dead man" was a ghost or another prisoner. But I'm thinking now it's the prisoner going mad possibly. Like maybe his personality has split.

I'm also not surprised that Kip is a super-chromatic or whatever. It's pretty standard for the young hero of these types of books to have some hidden talent or power of some kind that makes a surprise appearance.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Speaking of the prisoner, I wonder what Gavin’s plan is/was in keeping him locked up. Like does he plan to ever let him go or just leave him in there to rot? That seems pretty cruel since it is such a harsh cell. I wouldn’t be surprised by him going mad.

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5269 comments I think he couldn't bring himself to kill the prisoner.

(view spoiler)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5269 comments Gah! I just realized that I still have a lot more of this book left. I thought the audio book time seemed kind of short. Then I went to the website where I bought it and it's showing 40 hrs listening time as opposed to the 20 showing on my IPOD. I just skimmed to the end and it's playing past the 20 hr mark.

But I think I will swing by the library and pick up a print version.

message 40: by Rose (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rose | 618 comments That's odd. I think my audiobooks was 25 hours.

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5269 comments Well I'm past 30 hours now.

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5269 comments I finally finished. It was just Ok for me. But I will read the next one because I apparently already bought the audio book. So I might as well give the series another book to try and hook me.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave wrote: "I finally finished. It was just Ok for me. But I will read the next one because I apparently already bought the audio book. So I might as well give the series another book to try and hook me."

I’m a few chapters into the next book, and I’m enjoying it so far.

message 44: by Rose (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rose | 618 comments I briefly thought about continuing to the next book, but then got a case of book dread, so I think my minds made up to stop. lol

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Black Prism (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Brent Weeks (other topics)