SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

TV and Movie Chat > Solo Movie

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Allison Hurd | 13034 comments Mod
Just bought my tickets! A little nervous that the trailer shows us so much...wonder what else could be in this movie, if we cover how he gets the ship, how he became a smuggler, and what Chewie's life debt is in the preview.

message 2: by James (new)

James Terzian | 10 comments Man Disney is milking it for all its worth. Hope they don't blow it

message 3: by Michel (new)

Michel Poulin | 685 comments Well, I am sure that right now shareholders at Disney and Marvel are sporting big grins and laughing all the way to the bank.

message 4: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 2306 comments Yep Michel because good or bad every Star Wars fan is going to go.

message 5: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Oh, yeah, they've got a pretty captive audience...

I'm not sure I like being captive.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2674 comments I'm actually not that fussed about it. Gonna wait for reviews from people I trust before deciding whether to go or not.

message 7: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

One of my best friends is a diehard fan and no one will go with her, so it's sort of our thing. If it wasn't for her, I'd likely wait too!

message 8: by Trike (new)

Trike I watched the newest trailers and read recent articles and I still have zero interest in this.

message 9: by Mason (new)

Mason (mason_gatti) | 193 comments Allison wrote: "Just bought my tickets! A little nervous that the trailer shows us so much..."

Was just saying the same thing to the wife. I felt they showed a little bit too much. I just hope there is a twist or surprise in there somewhere.

message 10: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Mason wrote: "Allison wrote: "Just bought my tickets! A little nervous that the trailer shows us so much..."

Was just saying the same thing to the wife. I felt they showed a little bit too much. I just hope the..."

Yeah...I hope...or that it's SO MUCH FUN regardless!

message 11: by Phrynne (new)

Phrynne | 883 comments This one doesn’t really interest me but I am off to see Deadpool 2 this afternoon and that I am really looking forward to!

message 12: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Phrynne wrote: "This one doesn’t really interest me but I am off to see Deadpool 2 this afternoon and that I am really looking forward to!"

Oh, tell us how it is!!

message 13: by Phrynne (last edited May 19, 2018 02:33AM) (new)

Phrynne | 883 comments It is absolutely brilliant Allison. Like the last one but even better. Very very funny! I just wish I understood ALL of his cultural references. I got a lot of them but definitely not all.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2674 comments I thought D2 was really good. I didn't like it quite as much as the first, partially because I was annoyed with (view spoiler)

message 15: by Phrynne (new)

Phrynne | 883 comments colleen the convivial curmudgeon wrote: "I thought D2 was really good. I didn't like it quite as much as the first, partially because I was annoyed with "

Did you think it was undone at the end? I didn’t get that.

message 16: by Phrynne (new)

Phrynne | 883 comments Answering my own question:) I didn’t stay until the end of the credits.........

message 17: by Michel (new)

Michel Poulin | 685 comments I went to see DEADPOOL 2 today and loved it. It is even better than the first one and also funnier. Without giving away spoilers, the scenes at the end of the credits are crucial to fully understand and appreciate the end of the movie. If you go see it, please stay seated until all the credits have appeared.

message 18: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Oh this is good information and I'm happy it was enjoyable!!

message 19: by Lowell (new)

Lowell (schyzm) | 567 comments Phrynne wrote: "colleen the convivial curmudgeon wrote: "I thought D2 was really good. I didn't like it quite as much as the first, partially because I was annoyed with "

Did you think it was undone at the end? I..."

Just saw it last night - it was absolutely 100% positively undone.

message 20: by Doubledf99.99 (new)

Doubledf99.99 | 136 comments I'm glad I checked the movie schedule this morning, Solo: A Star Wars Story, opens here on the 24th. I'll either go on Thursday or Friday, and looks like another trip to the IMAX2D theater once again. Looks like it has a pretty good cast with Ron Howard directing.
This will be movie number 14 at the big screen for me this year.

Can't frick'en wait.

message 21: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Okay, I didn't think I'd like it, but it was fun!!

message 22: by Trike (last edited May 28, 2018 09:14AM) (new)

Trike Allison wrote: "Okay, I didn't think I'd like it, but it was fun!!"

Sounds like you’re the only one.

How is a Star Wars movie of all things performing worse than a generic summer action flick? Most SW films make $83 million in Thursday night previews, nevermind over a long holiday weekend.

Forget Kylo Ren - this movie is what killed Han Solo.

message 23: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (last edited May 28, 2018 09:22AM) (new)

Oh, I think they did *everything wrong* promoting the movie, from the timing of its release, to the previews they did, to how they explained the story...

I don't think it's fair to say it killed Han Solo, honestly. It's a decent background story for him.

I feel the same way about how they promoted this movie more or less the same way I feel about the new Ant Man. They're saturating the market and promising something they don't intend to deliver. I am not versed in the EU, so that might contribute to my enjoyment. I went in expecting them to hurt all my SW memories, and instead what they gave me was a solid YA heist movie with lots of nods to things I like a lot. I like the things I like, of course, and I'm pretty okay with YA heists, so it was fun! Definitely not a sequel to Rogue One or something, though.

message 24: by Michel (new)

Michel Poulin | 685 comments I did go see SOLO, but I rated it as 'so-so'. Special effects and general storyline were good, but I simply didn't like the acting by Alden Erhenreich (Han Solo). The guy basically has two facial expressions on the big screen: neutral or half-smiling. There was little to no chemistry coming from him in the movie. In contrast, the other actors/actresses were either decent or very good. Well, that's only my humble opinion. Still a fair to good movie but not a great one.

message 25: by Trike (new)

Trike Allison wrote: "I don't think it's fair to say it killed Han Solo, honestly. It's a decent background story for him."

Oh, he’s dead. They signed the kid up for either 3 or 6 Han Solo movies, I forget which, but it’s safe to say we won’t ever see him again after this.

Allison wrote: "I feel the same way about how they promoted this movie more or less the same way I feel about the new Ant Man. They're saturating the market and promising something they don't intend to deliver."

I don’t get what you mean here. What did they not intend to deliver with Solo, and how does Ant-Man figure into that? Ant-Man and the Wasp looks like it’s aiming for the same tone as the first one except with a bigger story. Which makes sense since all of the same people are involved. It’s very much like both Guardians movies in that regard.

message 26: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Oh I mean that Ant Man is coming out too close to the other movies and seems alternately to be selling a silly romp and a bona fide superhero action movie with beloved tie-ins. Similarly Solo was promising an action movie or a moving SW-epic installment of the story.

Ah, I see what you mean re: "killing" Han. Yeah, I'm not gonna be sad if this is the only Han backstory we get (I actually don't want more, I'm good where this ended!) but as far as "wasting time and money in a movie theatre" goes, I felt I got more than I thought I would for my resources.

message 27: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new)

Anna (vegfic) | 9629 comments Mod
Trike wrote: "They signed the kid up for either 3 or 6 Han Solo movies"

Why?! That's ridiculous.

I'm going to go see it tomorrow. I'm not expecting much, but I hope it won't completely suck.

message 28: by Trike (new)

Trike Anna wrote: "Trike wrote: "They signed the kid up for either 3 or 6 Han Solo movies"

Why?! That's ridiculous."

If it’s a monster hit, then they don’t have to renegotiate the actors’ contracts. If it flops, then they’ve gotten away with paying a minimum salary. It’s SOP. They did it for RDJ in Iron Man, and once his contract was up the renegotiations made him the richest actor in the world. That’s why Iron Man is in nearly every Marvel movie, so Disney can amortize that expense. Reportedly RDJ earned 500k for Iron Man and not much more for IM2 and IM3, but made more than 200 million for Avengers 3 and 4.

They kinda don’t want to do that every time.

message 29: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new)

Yeah but I meant why would they think anyone would want to see 3 or 6 Han Solo movies? I mean yes, I'm gullible enough to pay for a Han Solo movie that doesn't really interest me, because it's Star Wars, but I'm not stupid enough to do that several times.

message 30: by Phrynne (new)

Phrynne | 883 comments I enjoyed the movie. It wasn't great but it was entertaining. Chewbacca was the best.

message 31: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Phrynne wrote: "I enjoyed the movie. It wasn't great but it was entertaining. Chewbacca was the best."

Yesss!!

message 32: by Trike (new)

Trike Anna wrote: "Yeah but I meant why would they think anyone would want to see 3 or 6 Han Solo movies? I mean yes, I'm gullible enough to pay for a Han Solo movie that doesn't really interest me, because it's Star..."

If they make a Lando or Chewie or Jabba the Hutt movie, they can use him. And if it had been a hit, they definitely would’ve milked it.

message 33: by Bobby (new)

Bobby | 869 comments I saw it over the weekend, and I really enjoyed it. It wasn't my favorite Star Wars movie, and it didn't hold a candle to Rogue One (which I absolutely loved), but I felt it was a fun addition to the series. I was highly entertained, so I got my money's worth.

message 34: by Gianfranco (new)

Gianfranco Mancini | 55 comments It was far better than expected for me.
Not as good as Rogue One but still far better than the two awful VII-VIII episodes :)

message 35: by Anna, Circadian heretic (last edited May 29, 2018 04:45PM) (new)

I saw Solo. I went in with very low expectations, so it was OK. I was most worried about Han played by someone else, but I ended up being so distracted by Daenerys, that I almost didn't even notice Han. Donald Glover will only ever be Troy (and Abed in the morning!) to me, but I really liked him as Lando. And I always like Chewie. I'd go watch a Chewie movie, especially if it didn't have any other familiar faces. The music was very bland, I thought several times that it wasn't really doing the movie any favors.

message 36: by Jack (new)

Jack D (jackd89) I didn't like it at all. The SJW robot was the worst part. I also couldn't stand how weak Han was, he's nothing like the overly confident lady killer daredevil that Ford played in the original movies. I will say however that the visual effects and soundtrack were great though.

message 37: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 946 comments I think they released it too soon, no anticipation built up and I was not really interested in seeing it. I may later.

If they are going to do Solo, however, they should think of doing Leia. It's hard given how Carrie Fisher is not replaceable but that's where I'd go, where I would like to see something done. She was ahead of her time, she fought alongside the guys, fought with them, fell for one, and was totally her own person.

We need more female superheroes:
Wonder Woman was a huge hit, Blade Runner was not. Studio heads needs their heads on straight.

message 38: by Mark (new)

Mark Kloss (markkloss) | 15 comments Bobby wrote: "I saw it over the weekend, and I really enjoyed it. It wasn't my favorite Star Wars movie, and it didn't hold a candle to Rogue One (which I absolutely loved), but I felt it was a fun addition to t..."

That is totally how I felt too!

message 39: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 2306 comments My daughter said that she heard that it was a good rollicking Disney film that seemed aimed at a YA market. I might get a chance to see it next week. I’m heading to the beach and the cinema is only 20km away :) Might get to see DP as well if I’m lucky.

message 40: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

That sounds about right, Jacqueline! Hope you get to see something fun :)