2022 & 2023 Reading Challenge discussion

A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes, #1)
This topic is about A Study in Scarlet
ARCHIVE 2018 > A Study in Scarlet: General Discussion *Spoiler Free*

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4721 comments This month we will be doing things a bit differently. We had a tie between two books and decided to run two group reads for June. I will have them both up and running in a few days.

A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle

From the moment Dr. John Watson takes lodgings in Baker Street with the consulting detective Sherlock Holmes, he becomes intimately acquainted with the bloody violence and frightening ingenuity of the criminal mind.

In A Study in Scarlet, Holmes and Watson's first mystery, the pair are summoned to a south London house where they find a dead man whose contorted face is a twisted mask of horror. The body is unmarked by violence but on the wall a mysterious word has been written in blood.

The police are baffled by the crime and its circumstances. But when Sherlock Holmes applies his brilliantly logical mind to the problem he uncovers a tragic tale of love and deadly revenge...

Brianna will be our discussion leader, thank you!

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 1100 comments I'm in! I have a collection of all the Sherlock Holmes stories, of which this is the first, and I have been looking for a reason to get started.

Holmes is one of those characters that most people know from popular media such as movies and TV but many people, including myself, have never read the source material.

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy Ingalls | 2093 comments I'm in as well. I also wanted to let everyone know that I was able to download the book free from Project Gutenberg.

message 4: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new)

Ilona | 4210 comments That is a good tip Amy, thank you for sharing!

I have owned a copy for a couple of years now, but never read it. Shame on me! I'll try to join next month :)

message 5: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 375 comments I'm excited for this! I recently started watching the BBC show Sherlock and am excited to start reading the real thing!

Elisa | 10 comments I'm excited to finally have time to participate in the book discussions. Looking forward to hearing all your perspectives and insights on the book. :)

Simon (simontaneously) | 173 comments Ooh, if I recall correctly, I have this book on my Kindle and have been meaning to read a Sherlock story for a while. So I should get involved in these discussions later this lonth.

message 8: by Megan BG (new)

Megan BG (meganbgreads) | 1411 comments Is this the complete set other people have? This is what I read it from:
The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

MacKenzie Russell (xomackenzielynn) | 29 comments I'm in! I have three volumes of Sherlock Holmes from the Lifetime Library Collection (BAM) and I've only read a handful of stories.

Lifetime Library: Sherlock Holmes Volume One

We read Hound of the Baskervilles in High School and I'm looking forward to discussion on this one.

message 10: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 375 comments I just wanted to let everyone know there's a free version available through Kindle!

I plan on starting this bad boy tomorrow! I'm pretty excited!

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 1100 comments I have this edition:

Complete Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

message 12: by Ilona, Global Moderator (last edited Jun 05, 2018 09:56AM) (new)

Ilona | 4210 comments I don't have one collection but 5 books containing the 9 Sherlock Holmes books (in the wrong order :P)
A Study in Scarlet & The Sign of the Four by Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures & Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle The Hound of the Baskervilles & The Valley of Fear by Arthur Conan Doyle The Return of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes & His Last Bow by Arthur Conan Doyle

message 13: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1208 comments I am planning on starting this this weekend :) I read one of the books out of order and enjoyed it so I am excited to read the first one.

message 14: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 2 stars

SarahKat | 3391 comments I listened to this on audio. Just finished today. I don't recommend the audio because it's so short it doesn't give you time to get used to the characters. If you're anything like me, it takes me a little longer to get into a book I'm listening to as opposed to reading.

message 15: by Joey (new) - added it

Joey Epperson (eppic_outdoorsman) | 38 comments Just checked this out...will start soon.

message 16: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new)

Ilona | 4210 comments For everyone who liked this book: we are reading the rest of the series as a Buddy Read, starting with The Sign of Four this month: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... Feel free to join :)