2022 & 2023 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2018 > Steph - 30 books in 2018

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steph (last edited May 26, 2018 05:29AM) (new)

Steph V | 58 comments I'm aiming to read 30 books this year (hopefully more!). I started with a goal of 20 but just decided I can do more. Here's a summary of what I've read so far.

1. The Heart's Invisible Furies by John Boyne 3.8.18 - this could easily be one of my new favorite books. 5 major stars!!
2. This is How It Always Is by Laurie Frankel 4.6.18 - loved this book, highly recommend. 5 stars.
3. Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng 4.8.18 - I don't think I'm as obsessed with this one as everyone else seems to be, but I did really enjoy this quick read. Still 5 stars
4. Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff 4. 21.18 - sadly I did not enjoy this book, never really got attached to any of the characters, but I do respect Groff's writing style. 2 stars
5. The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware 4.25.18 - entertaining beach read. 4 stars
6. Stay with Me by Ayobami Adebayo 5.2.18 - I adored this book, heartbreaking and uplifting all at once. 5 stars
7. The Italian Teacher by Tom Rachman 5.13.18 - I never really felt there was a plot line that kept me engaged and I did not care for the characters, but I enjoyed the art elements and the overall setting. 3 stars.
8. Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward 5.17.18 - 5 stars!! Wow. What a powerful book - I loved this one.
9. The Last Equation of Isaac Severy by Nova Jacobs 5.25.18 - 4 stars. Enjoyed this read - good mystery book with some real substance.

message 2: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Steph wrote: "I'm aiming to read 30 books this year (hopefully more!). I started with a goal of 20 but just decided I can do more. Here's a summary of what I've read so far. ..."

Wishing you the best of luck with your goal Steph & happy reading!

message 3: by Steph (new)

Steph V | 58 comments 10. A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles 5.27.2018 - 3 stars. I listened to this on audio book so maybe that's why I didn't find it as charming as other reviewers. I didn't feel that there was a story line to keep me interested - definitely struggled through.
11. Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate 5.30.18 - 5 stars. I thought this was a great story - evoked great emotion and allowed for a true sense of connection to the characters.

message 4: by Blagica (new)

Blagica  | 12050 comments “I have always imagined paradise will be a kind of library.” I hope you find a corner in Paradise with some great books!! You are doing great keep it up!

message 5: by Steph (new)

Steph V | 58 comments Blagica wrote: "“I have always imagined paradise will be a kind of library.” I hope you find a corner in Paradise with some great books!! You are doing great keep it up!"

Thank you!!

message 6: by Steph (new)

Steph V | 58 comments 12. You Think It, I'll Say It by Curtis Sittenfeld 6.2.18 - 4 stars. Great compilation of short stories - wished each of them was longer as I was reading.
13. How to Walk Away by Katherine Center 6.3.18 - 5 stars!! I read this in one sitting - the story immediately sucked me in and kept me entertained the whole time.
14. Sometimes I Lie 6.5.18 - 3 stars. Didn't love it, but it was entertaining enough and had a pretty good twist.

message 7: by Steph (new)

Steph V | 58 comments 15. The Perfect Mother by Aimee Molloy 6.12.18 - 3 stars. I liked this book - felt it was a little tough to keep up with all the different characters and the constant switching of narrator, but I enjoyed the plot.
16. The Mars Room by Rachel Kushner 6.18.18- 2 stars. I'm not sure if it was the audiobook or the book itself that turned me off, but I did not particularly enjoy this one. The concept was intriguing but just ended up being a depressing listen.
17. You Me Everything by Catherine Isaac 6.18.18 - 5 stars. Just what I needed after finishing #16. Loved this story and all the characters. I thought the author did a great job creating a hopeful story out of a difficult situation and enjoyed it the whole way.

message 8: by Blagica (new)

Blagica  | 12050 comments Awesome job so far Steph do you have any books that you are still dying to read?

message 9: by Steph (new)

Steph V | 58 comments Thank you!! Yes, so many - my TBR list just keeps growing :) I'm still on the wait list for the Woman in the Window at the library, that's what I most want to read next!

message 10: by Blagica (new)

Blagica  | 12050 comments It is a good read worth the wait.

message 11: by Steph (new)

Steph V | 58 comments 18. Born a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah 6.27.18 - 5 stars. I listened to the audio book narrated by Trevor himself and I HIGHLY recommend. Loved this book.
19. Not That I Could Tell by Jessica Strawser 6.29.18 - 4 stars. Entertaining and enjoyable.
20. The Queen of Hearts by Kimmery Martin 7.2.18 - 4 stars. I flew through this book and enjoyed it the whole way. If you're a Grey's Anatomy fan (or used to be before season one thousand), this is a great book for you!
21. The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn 7.7.18 - 5 stars. Best thriller I've read this year. Loved it.
22. Two Steps Forward by Graeme Simsion 10.18.18 - 4 stars. As you can see, I hit a reading slump/crazy time in life from July until October and this was a great book to get me back into reading. Very different than what I expected but very enjoyable.
23. One Plus One by Jojo Moyes 10.23.18 - 3 stars. Just a fine book - cute and good story, but nothing special.
24. Educated by Tara Westover 11.3.18 - 4 stars. My mind was blown by this book. Tara's story is heart-wrenching and infuriating, but to see how she overcame such a curious and harmful upbringing was inspiring.
25. The Last Time I Lied by Riley Sager 11.9.18 - 3 stars. I was slightly underwhelmed by this read but can't pinpoint exactly why.

message 12: by Steph (new)

Steph V | 58 comments 26. Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll 11.22.18 - 4 stars.
27. Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn 11.28.18 - 4 stars
28. The Rules of Magic by Alice Hoffman 12.2.18 - 4 stars
29. All We Ever Wanted by Emily Giffin 12.10.18 - 4 stars
30. There There by Tommy Orange 12.17.18 - 4 stars
31. Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee 12.20.18 - 3 stars
32. Greenglass House by Kate Milford 12.26.18 - 2 stars
33. Winter Street by Elin Hilderbrand 12.28.18 - 4 stars