SMS Dreamland by Sam Quinones discussion

The Perfect Storm!

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wendy (last edited May 17, 2018 06:29AM) (new)

Wendy Quinn | 3 comments Mod
Hope you are enjoying the book so far. The author is a great story teller and historian. The web he weaves seems so plausible. The opportunistic entrepreneurship of these young men is fascinating. The ironic thing is I don't feel like they are getting "rich", but the bar is set at new Levi's and the pride felt by their family........... hard to imagine the plight. However, the overall consequences seem to be never a concern. How is what I am doing hurting others? What about the families they are destroying? It may be lack of education, the desperation of poverty... something is amiss for sure.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy Malooley | 1 comments I agree, it doesn't seem like they are "living the dream" financially associated with selling drugs and putting their freedom on the line. It is interesting that that the addicts liked the dealers and did not blame them for their addiction. The business model was overall pretty simple and exceedingly effective especially when it came to customer service- except who would want a balloon spit out with your merchandise inside?!?

message 3: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Quinn | 3 comments Mod
No kidding!!! Gross! Just another example of desperation.

message 4: by Hina (new)

Hina Patel | 1 comments In comparison to other 3rd world countries by actual observation and experience, I think it is simply desperation to make money in any form and thus support their families back home resulting in high status in the community.

message 5: by Sonia (last edited May 22, 2018 07:06AM) (new)

Sonia Kim | 2 comments I agree with the desperation and can understand their plight although morally unacceptable. I have less compassion for the drug companies that made billions marketing pain medications as safe as well as the physicians running pill mills. I clearly remember being in pharmacy school in the late 90's and learning about the pain ladder and how opioids are not addictive if taken for pain. Looking back, it was so foolish to accept that as truth.

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael Kern | 2 comments I agree with Hina’s point, it seems that the main drive was improving their status back home and advancing their family’s situation. Going from working in the fields earning next to nothing to $1,200 a week as a driver. In contrast, the main dealers were netting about $100k per kilo of black tar heroin. You can see why, there was strong financial motivation to move from a driver to a main cell dealer once they learned the business.