Time Travel discussion

Picking Monthly Books - Archives > September & October 2014 - Winners Declared

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
GUIDELINES FOR NOMINATIONS:
1. September & October Theme: Time travel
2. The books being nominated must currently be in print, available used in large quantities, or be available as an eBook.
3. You can nominate up to 2 books.
4. You can nominate your own book, but you cannot recruit people to vote for your book.
5. Please use "add book/author" at the top of the comment box to create a link to the cover and/or the book that you nominate along with information about the book or about why you want to nominate the book. Be sure to provide a link to the book and not just to the picture since some Android & iPhone apps don't pick up on the book cover links.
6. Sequels cannot be nominated unless they can stand alone without the previous book/s. Please do not nominate a collection of short stories unless the stories work together as a whole.
7. Do not nominate a book we've previously read: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

Nominations: Now through August 15th
Voting: August 16th - 23rd
New Book Discussion Begins: September 1st

The 2 books receiving the most votes will be the next 2 books that we read. In the event of a tie for 2nd place, we will read the top 3 books. Any book not winning that receives at least 2 votes will automatically be added to the next poll if subject-appropriate.

message 2: by Amy, Queen of Time (last edited Jul 30, 2014 02:11PM) (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
There are two books that automatically roll over from our last poll since they had 2 or more votes:

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
In Times Like These (Volume 1) by Nathan Van Coops In Times Like These by our own Nathan Van Coops.

Blurb: "We broke something. How do you break time? Can something so bad happen that you fracture the world?" Benjamin Travers has been electrocuted. What's worse, he and his friends have woken up in the past. As the friends search for a way home, they realize they're not alone. There are other time travelers, and some of them are turning up dead. When Ben meets an enigmatic scientist and his charming, time-traveling daughter, salvation seems at hand, but escaping the dangers of the past may lead to a deadly future. If he hopes to save his friends, Ben must learn to master space and time, and survive a journey where past and future violently collide.

Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce

Blurb: Lying awake at night, Tom hears the old grandfather clock downstairs strike . . . eleven . . . twelve . . . thirteen . . . Thirteen! When Tom gets up to investigate, he discovers a magical garden. A garden that everyone told him doesn't exist. A garden that only he can enter . . .

A Carnegie-Medal-winning modern classic that's magically timeless.

message 3: by Amy, Queen of Time (last edited Jul 29, 2014 02:06PM) (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
I'm going to suggest:
The Chronic Argonauts by H.G. Wells The Chronic Argonauts by H.G. Wells. This book was actually written before The Time Machine and is only 48 pages long, so I'd suggest an option of reading it along with the graphic novel that's based on it: H.G. Wells' The Chronic Argonauts by Jason Quinn by Jason Quinn. I could only find the graphic novel available one place: https://www.comixology.com/H-G-Wells-..., and only as a digital copy, but it's only $2.99. They've pitched an animated film idea as well, and the concept art is gorgeous: http://chronicargo.newbabyproductions...

Blurb: "There is absolutely no deception, sir, said Nebogipfel with the slightest trace of mockery in his voice. "I lay no claim to work in matters spiritual. It is a bona fide mechanical contrivance, a thing emphatically of this sordid world. Excuse me -- just one minute." He rose from his knees, stepped upon the mahogany platform, took a curiously curved lever in his hand and pulled it over. Cook rubbed his eyes. There certainly was no deception. The doctor and the machine had vanished."

message 4: by Amy, Queen of Time (last edited Jul 29, 2014 02:04PM) (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
And this one's been popular lately, so I'll nominate it as well:
The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North.

Blurb: The extraordinary journey of one unforgettable character - a story of friendship and betrayal, loyalty and redemption, love and loneliness and the inevitable march of time.

Harry August is on his deathbed. Again.

No matter what he does or the decisions he makes, when death comes, Harry always returns to where he began, a child with all the knowledge of a life he has already lived a dozen times before. Nothing ever changes.

Until now.

As Harry nears the end of his eleventh life, a little girl appears at his bedside. 'I nearly missed you, Doctor August,' she says. 'I need to send a message.'

This is the story of what Harry does next, and what he did before, and how he tries to save a past he cannot change and a future he cannot allow.

message 5: by Nathan, First Tiger (new)

Nathan Coops (icoops) | 544 comments Mod
Woohoo for roll over! These all sound good though. I really like the blurb for The First Fifteen Lives book. Good blurbs are challenging. Also like the idea of getting to incorporate a graphic novel into the monthly read.
I'll be honest. I've read In Times Like These quite a few times already... ;)

message 6: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Nathan wrote: "I'll be honest. I've read In Times Like These quite a few times already."

Ha. I bet you have!

I can always roll you back over if you want to remove your book from the poll this time around. No? Didn't think so. ;)

message 7: by Duane (new)

Duane (tduaneparkeryahoocom) | 28 comments May I please nominate Replay byKen Grimwood
Replay by Ken Grimwood

Thanks

message 8: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Duane wrote: "May I please nominate Replay byKen Grimwood
Replay by Ken Grimwood

Thanks"

Ha. That's the obvious opponent of Harry August. I was wondering if someone was going to finally nominate it. :-)

message 9: by Nathan, First Tiger (new)

Amy wrote: I can always roll you back over if you want to remove your book from the poll this time around...

I mean, if we want to go ahead and select it so you don't have to keep posting it every month, I'm not going to complain. Makes sense really. We almost owe it to you to make your life easier...

message 10: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 424 comments Amy wrote: "There is one book that automatically rolls over from our last poll since it had 2 or more votes:

AhemTom's Midnight Garden-didn't it also get 2 votes last time around?

Just consider this my nomination. People may not be voting for it, because I may be the only time travel enthusiast who has never read it, So I am going to read it in October, whether or not it becomes the Group read, and then I can stop my whining.

message 11: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Heather wrote: "Amy wrote: "There is one book that automatically rolls over from our last poll since it had 2 or more votes:

AhemTom's Midnight Garden-didn't it also get 2 votes last time around?
..."

It only had 1 vote listed last time I looked. But it's gotten more than 1 before. You know, I've seen it on several best-of lists lately, so you're not the only person to love it. :-)

message 12: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Nathan wrote: "I mean, if we want to go ahead and select it so you don't have to keep posting it every month, I'm not going to complain. Makes sense really. We almost owe it to you to make your life easier... "

Yes, let's forget nominations. I'll just become dictator and everyone's life shall be easier. I'll even throw in a free lifetime supply of [insert favorite food here] and a stack of books by [insert favorite author here]. In return, we shall read all the books nominated herein in the order in which they were nominated. Sound good? Only ... I can't deliver on my promises and don't have the power of force to keep people around if I decide to become dictator. So maybe I'll keep up the nomination thing for now. ;)

message 13: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 424 comments Amy- I don't want to make a big deal about it, but I just looked again and it had two votes. I can't say I love it, I have not read it yet, but it feels like one of those book I "should" read.

Hollow World by Michael J. SullivanHollow World by Michael J. Sullivan (group member)
5 votes, 25.0%
Rabbit Hole (The Paradox Series, #1) by Garrett SmithRabbit Hole by Garrett Smith (group members)
5 votes, 25.0%
In Times Like These (Volume 1) by Nathan Van CoopsIn Times Like These by Nathan Van Coops (group member)
4 votes, 20.0%
* Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa PearceTom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce
2 votes, 10.0%

message 14: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Heather wrote: "Amy- I don't want to make a big deal about it, but I just looked again and it had two votes. I can't say I love it, I have not read it yet, but it feels like one of those book I "should" read.

H..."

Maybe I was looking on the wrong line ... or I'm going senile. I could have sworn there were 2 votes and then only saw 1. I'm probably going senile. It's the best excuse I have for being so terribly wrong. Okay. No excuses. I was just wrong. Either way, it's added back to our nominations.

message 15: by Nathan, First Tiger (new)

AMY FOR DICTATOR! Can I be First Tiger?

message 16: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Nathan wrote: "AMY FOR DICTATOR! Can I be First Tiger?
"

You'll have to overthrow Lincoln for the job. But since he's not around today, you might be able to sneak in quietly.

message 17: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Landline by Rainbow Rowell and Somewhere in Time by Richard Matheson

message 18: by Lincoln, Temporal Jester (new)

Lincoln | 1290 comments Mod
Amy wrote: "Nathan wrote: "AMY FOR DICTATOR! Can I be First Tiger?
"

You'll have to overthrow Lincoln for the job. But since he's not around today, you might be able to sneak in quietly."

Holy CRAP There has been a Coup d'etat

First Tiger sounds like an awesome title and I didn't realize I occupied that station in the Time Travel group government!

I have only ever wished to be Temporal Jester in the court of Queen Amy.

Perhaps the office of First Tiger is available...you simply need apply Nathan...

message 19: by Dilowa (new)

Dilowa Dilowa | 2 comments Don't forget, Lightning by Dean Koontz.
One of the best time travel books I have read.

message 20: by Nathan, First Tiger (new)

Lincoln Wrote: I have only ever wished to be Temporal Jester in the court of Queen Amy.

Perhaps the office of First Tiger is available...you simply need apply Nathan...

Woohoo! Sign me up! Temporal Jester is a fine moniker as well. I can see how you would relish that.

message 21: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Jones | 7 comments Black Book: Book 1 Black Book Book 1 by Dylan Jones would be my totally biased suggestion. 70 + Amazon reviews. 4+ average star rating. 30,000 + downloads. Voted best independently published book last year by new podler review. Fingers crossed that you like the blurb enough to give it a shot :)

message 22: by Eve (new)

Eve | 9 comments I would like to nominate:
The Mine The Mine (Northwest Passage #1) by John A. Heldt and The Mirror The Mirror (Northwest Passage #5) by John A. Heldt

These two are the first and the last books in the "Northwest Passage" series but can be read as stand alone as well.

message 23: by Carlo (new)

Carlo Kennedy | 8 comments Hi folks, I admit I'm new to this group, but since you said we could, I would like to nominate my own book Time Signature

Blurb:
Chris Agnello is a struggling musician and loner college student who dreads the future, lives in the past, and longs for a mentor. When his physicist sister builds a time machine that runs on music, he tries to use it to go back to the 1980s, but instead finds himself farther back in the past than he bargained for - stuck in the 1700s - on a journey of self discovery, and running for his life. To get back to his own time, he must find a way to get from Dublin to London in time to catch his ride home... but in the meantime, he might just have found his future in the past. Sci-fi and time travel fans will love this new and unique perspective on time travel. Fans of historical fiction will love the deeply human characters, the surprising realism of their journey, and the heartwarming love story.

This links to Amazon: www.TimeSignature.info

Thanks!

message 24: by Carlo (new)

Carlo Kennedy | 8 comments Well, I tried to link to the book - let's try again:
Time Signature by Carlo Kennedy

message 25: by Michele (new)

Michele | 144 comments Nathan wrote: "AMY FOR DICTATOR! Can I be First Tiger?"

lol :D

message 26: by Garrett (new)

Garrett Smith (garrettsmith) | 246 comments Nathan wrote: " Lincoln Wrote: I have only ever wished to be Temporal Jester in the court of Queen Amy.

Woohoo! Sign me up! Temp..."

And in years to come, the legend will be told that from this day forward, Nathan Van Coops was known as First Tiger of the Time Travel group.

We're looking forward to reading First Tiger's book, In Times Like These.

message 27: by Cheryl (last edited Aug 02, 2014 03:51PM) (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 872 comments Heather, I've been voting for Tom's Midnight Garden for many many cycles.... Let's set up an informal 'buddy read' thread in October.

I also wish Disconnected would win of these days, but, since it seems unlikely it ever will, who's game to join me later?

(Meanwhile, that is my nomination this month. :)

message 28: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Ha. Maybe I need to just assign a random month for books that keep getting nominated.

message 29: by Shawn (new)

Shawn Deal | 12 comments The Girl, the Gold watch and Everything, by John MacDonald, back in print for the first time in 2 decades.

message 30: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Everson (authorthomaseverson) I would like to nominate my book R.E.birth.

R.E.birth by Thomas W. Everson R.E.birth

Mortally wounded, a man embraces death on the cold and lonely forest floor. But fate intervenes, as Ami and her mother, Agatha, are brought into phase with his time. He is saved, however his memory is gone and he is vulnerable. With the fear that his attacker might return to finish what was started, he plunges into the unknown and follows his saviors through a time vortex to help in their struggles rather than face his own anxieties.

Traveling through time with Ami and Agatha provides a new life to fill the void within him. He is able to define himself and finds his drive to help others more than anticipated. The events and conflicts in time begin an internal battle against violent impulses. His personal discoveries, the new sensations and the exploration of time become the Rain Experience.

message 31: by Shawn (new)

Shawn Deal | 12 comments With the new television series about to start, I would like to nominate Outlander by Diana Gabaldon.

message 32: by Amy, Queen of Time (last edited Aug 03, 2014 05:01PM) (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Shawn wrote: "With the new television series about to start, I would like to nominate Outlander by Diana Gabaldon."

Actually, this is one nomination that Lincoln and I are going to use our power of veto over. While it's very popular, there's a reason that it's being picked up by Starz and not a more family-friendly network. I read it several years ago and found it to be extremely rated R. In fact, as written, I'd go as far as to say that it's rated X. The plot relies very heavily on sex (and lots of it), rape (from the romantic interest even), and violence (from both friend and foe). Neither Lincoln nor I think that it's appropriate for a group read. Since you've not read it, you couldn't have known the nature of the book, so please don't hesitate to nominate something else. Thanks for understanding.

message 33: by Shawn (new)

Shawn Deal | 12 comments Amy wrote: "Shawn wrote: "With the new television series about to start, I would like to nominate Outlander by Diana Gabaldon."

Actually, this is one nomination that Lincoln and I are going to use our power o..."

Okay,

I will read this one on my own. I already nominated one above, so for a second one how about Time out of Mind by John Maxim

message 34: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Shawn wrote: "Amy wrote: "Shawn wrote: "With the new television series about to start, I would like to nominate Outlander by Diana Gabaldon."

Actually, this is one nomination that Lincoln and I are going to use..."

Thanks for being understanding. I think there's probably an Outlander thread started somewhere. If readers want to discuss it there, no big deal. But we'd prefer not to have it as an official group read, especially since the group is open to all ages.

message 35: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
By the way, I've got a new poll up for us to vote on our favorite Book Club reads: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1.... I'll add to it as we continue reading new books.

message 36: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 424 comments Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "Heather, I've been voting for Tom's Midnight Garden for many many cycles.... Let's set up an informal 'buddy read' thread in October.

I also wish Disconnected would ..."

Sure Cheryl-I am totally game for that!

message 37: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Heather wrote: "Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "Heather, I've been voting for Tom's Midnight Garden for many many cycles.... Let's set up an informal 'buddy read' thread in October.

I also wish [book:Disco..."

I've made a Buddy Reads Folder with a specific listing for Tom's Midnight Garden: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

:-)

message 38: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 424 comments Thanks Amy! I haven't given up on it being a Group Read yet though!

message 39: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Heather wrote: "Thanks Amy! I haven't given up on it being a Group Read yet though!"

Ha. We'll give it a few days. You never know.

message 40: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Heather wrote: "Thanks Amy! I haven't given up on it being a Group Read yet though!"

I've removed that specific book for now as a buddy read, but if it doesn't make it this time around, the topic is open.

message 41: by Mark (last edited Aug 10, 2014 01:50AM) (new)

Mark Speed (markspeed) | 131 comments I'd like to nominate my own novel, Doctor How and the Illegal Aliens Doctor How and the Illegal Aliens by Mark Speed .

It's topical, since the new Doctor Who starring Peter Capaldi will be screening from the end of this month. But what if the BBC have the wrong story?

I've been very flattered by the reader reviews the novel has received:
"This book is for everyone, not just Whovians"
"Mark's take..,is refreshing and sorely needed"
"in some parts even reminded me of Douglas Adams and his sense of humor"

It was originally intended as a parody, but morphed into a whole alternative universe (not Who-niverse) which irons out the inconsistencies that have built up over half a century and scores of scriptwriters.

message 42: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Beth Sniffs Books wrote: "Hi, I'm new to this group. I heard about it because I'm friends with "Cheryl in CC NV" and would see her comments popping up in my feed.

Although already mentioned, I definitely agree with the re..."

Welcome to the group. It's always nice to have books seconded, so thanks for your input.

message 43: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 872 comments Hi! Welcome. :)

message 44: by Mark (new)

Mark Fleming (rumblebook) | 4 comments Shameless self-plug here for my book of time travel and friendship - Challerton!

"Anne must stop her new friend sailing on the ship that is the talk of the age… the Titanic. She knows it will sink. She knows when and she knows how.

She's knows because she's seen the film..."

Challerton

message 45: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Mark wrote: "Shameless self-plug here for my book of time travel and friendship - Challerton!

"Anne must stop her new friend sailing on the ship that is the talk of the age… the Titanic. She knows it will sink..."

"She knows because she's seen the film." Ha. Maybe Leo will help save her. I've got this one tempting me in my Kindle every time I've got the decision of which book to read next. Perhaps it will make it. :-)

I know lots of you who are active in reading, nominating, and voting are time travel book authors. I'm wondering what people think of the idea of having 2 types of nominations and votes: 1 for group members' books and one for non-group members' books such that we alternate every 2nd or 3rd time reading something written by group members. Thoughts?

message 46: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 872 comments I would love this. I need to catch up on some of the classics, and it seems to me that discussions usually are about new books, esp. those by group members.

message 47: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "I would love this. I need to catch up on some of the classics, and it seems to me that discussions usually are about new books, esp. those by group members."

What's your personal preference? Rotate in a group member book every 2nd or every 3rd month?

I'd like to hear some others chime in about this as well. Basically, it would be a difference between 6 books a year by group members or only 4 books a year by group members. If we go with every 3rd month, the next book by a group member would be in November. If we go with every 2nd month, the next one would be in October. Or does everyone like it the way it is?

Hmm ... this would be solved more quickly with a poll. Let me just step over into my poll-making booth and see what everyone thinks.

message 48: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

message 49: by Amy, Queen of Time (last edited Aug 24, 2014 09:11PM) (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Our winners are:

September 2014:
In Times Like These (Volume 1) by Nathan Van Coops In Times Like These by our own Nathan Van Coops Nathan Van Coops

October 2014:
Somewhere in Time by Richard Matheson Somewhere in Time by Richard Matheson Richard Matheson

message 50: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
... September and October (not October and November)

« previous 1