Play Book Tag discussion

May 2018: Family Drama > Swimming Home/Levy - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6758 comments This author definitely has a distinctive voice, and I'm pretty sure it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but it is mine. Like the other Levy book I've read, this book has a slow, dark build up, rife with symbolism and unstated implications.

This dark story takes place in France. Two couples are renting a villa. One couple has a 14 year old daughter and a shaky marriage. The wheels are set in motion when a female acquaintance of the villa's owner and friend of the caretaker shows up with no where to stay. The book is primarily a psychological one, focused on the interplay of these characters. The themes in this book - the weakness underlying the parent/child relationship, mental illness and depression - are the same that are later echoed in Levy's other Man Booker prize nominee, the aforementioned Hot Milk.

Even though this book is short, it reads slowly and it also feels almost more like a short story . . .the reader is left to do a lot of the work in terms of envisioning who these characters truly are . . .and the ending packs a punch.

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments This was my first Levy and I also gave it four stars. She is definitely my cup of tea.

message 3: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6758 comments Susie wrote: "This was my first Levy and I also gave it four stars. She is definitely my cup of tea."

Have you read any others beyond Hot Milk and this one? I'm definitely intrigued to read more from her . . . her books feel intellectually challenging to me while still being interesting. She definitely does not spoon feed the reader at all.

message 4: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I haven’t but I too would like to explore more of her work. I agree that she is challenging, but without it seeming like hard work.

message 5: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6407 comments Well you've certainly piqued my interest ... I love character-driven works that explore their psychology and relationships.

message 6: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) Swimming Home for the link.