2022 & 2023 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2018 > Brittany's 100 in 2018

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brittany (last edited Dec 26, 2018 10:40AM) (new)

Brittany Morrison | 404 comments This is the first year in quite some time that I am not in school. Taking the opportunity to read as many books as I can. I am hoping to get through 100 books this year. I have finished 41 so far, so realistically I am on track, just have to keep up the pace.

Books by month:
January:9
February:3
March:7
April:12
May:17
June:12
July: 9
August: 12
September:10
October: 7
November: 5
December: 9

message 2: by Brittany (last edited Dec 26, 2018 10:39AM) (new)

Brittany Morrison | 404 comments 1. Secret Life: Firsthand, Documented Accounts of Ufo Abductions
2. Adulthood Is a Myth
3. Truly Madly Guilty
4. Talking as Fast as I Can: From Gilmore Girls to Gilmore Girls, and Everything in Between
5. Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mount Everest Disaster
6. The Warded Man
7. Tranny: Confessions of Punk Rock's Most Infamous Anarchist Sellout
8. The Night Circus
9. Six Feet Over It
10. Labyrinth Lost
11. The Broken Kingdoms
12. The Ghost Bride
13. Fallout
14. Young Dr. Kildare
15. Coraline
16. Children of Blood and Bone
17. Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers
18. The Witch Doesn't Burn in this One
19. Fairest of All: A Tale of the Wicked Queen
20. Little Fires Everywhere
21. Shalako
22. Scott Pilgrim, Volume 1: Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life
23. How to Talk to Girls at Parties
24. Eligible
25. The Princess Saves Herself in this One
26. Modern Romance
27. Trauma Room Two
28. Marvel 1602
29. The Silent Dead
30. Black Panther #1
31. Yes Please
32. The Good Nurse: A True Story of Medicine, Madness, and Murder
33. A Girl Like That
34. Lucy in the Sky
35. Paper Girls, Vol. 2
36. Paper Girls, Vol. 3
37. A Madness So Discreet
38. Afterlife with Archie, Vol. 1: Escape from Riverdale
39. The Hopeful
40. After Tupac and D Foster
41. When Dimple Met Rishi
42. Born a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood
43. We Have Always Lived in the Castle
44. A Study in Charlotte
45. Besties
46. The Body in the Library
47. How to Get into the Twin Palms
48. The Big Alpha in Town
49. From Twinkle, with Love
50. A Study in Scarlet
51. Norse Mythology
52. The Girl from Everywhere
53. The Wall of Winnipeg and Me
54. John Muir, Earth - Planet, Universe
55. The Last Song
56. A Wrinkle in Time
57. The Last Place You Look
58. More than Survival
59. Animal Farm
60. Salmon Fishing in the Yemen: A Novel
61. The Ice Beneath Her
62. Lullabies for Little Criminals
63. These Broken Stars
64. Brides of Eden: A True Story Imagined
65. Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things
66. Unbreak My Heart
67. Rebels, Volume 1: A Well-Regulated Militia
68. The Story of Doctor Dolittle
69. Why I Left Harry's All-Night Hamburgers
70. Everything Here Is Beautiful
71. Lime Gelatin and Other Monsters
72. Purple Daze
73. Debutantes
74. The Mist
75. The Agony of Bun O'Keefe
76. She Wore Red Trainers
77. The Princess Diaries
78. Sharp Objects
79. #Notyourprincess: Voices of Native American Women
80. One Came Home
81. Dream Country
82. 4.50 from Paddington
83. Scott Pilgrim, Volume 2: Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
84. Love, Hate & Other Filters
85. The Shift: One Nurse, Twelve Hours, Four Patients' Lives
86. To All the Boys I've Loved Before
87. Burn Baby Burn
88. The Surgeon
89. Pain & Wastings
90. Anne of Green Gables
91. The Loud Silence of Francine Green
92. The Dispatcher
93. Hollow City
94. Like Water on Stone
95. The Unlikelies
96. Welcome to the Dark House
97. Fever Dream
98. Milk Eggs Vodka: Grocery Lists Lost and Found
99. The Bear and the Nightingale
100. Dead Girls and Other Stories
101. Matilda
102. Cinder
103. The Vampire wants a Wife
104. The Perks of Being a Wallflower
105. I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive
Search for the Golden State Killer

106. Heidi
107. The Lump of Coal
108. M Is for Magic
109. Thief of Thieves, Vol. 1: "I Quit."
110. Bruja Born
111. Guitar Notes
112. Not If I See You First
113. The Kiss Quotient
114. Harvey Kurtzman's Marley's Ghost
115. The Last Black Unicorn
116. Open Mic: Riffs on Life Between Cultures in Ten Voices

message 3: by Fatima (new)

Fatima Ezzahra (fatemazahra) | 1 comments Wow I wish I could read this much too

message 4: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Brittany wrote: "This is the first year in quite some time that I am not in school. Taking the opportunity to read as many books as I can. I am hoping to get through 100 books this year. I have finished 41 so far, ..."

Wow, impressive Brittany! Wishing you the best of luck with the remainder of your goal & happy reading!

message 5: by Blagica (new)

Blagica  | 12050 comments Brittany I think my TBR list is growing just by coming by your corner you are doing great. Do you have a stand out book this year? looking forward to seeing what else you read this year welcome again.

message 6: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 404 comments Blagica wrote: "Brittany I think my TBR list is growing just by coming by your corner you are doing great. Do you have a stand out book this year? looking forward to seeing what else you read this year welcome again."

My favorite so far was probably A Madness So Discreet it does have some pretty heavy topics (mental illness, rape, incest) but it was such a good read, I finished it on vacation in like 2 days. Tranny: Confessions of Punk Rock's Most Infamous Anarchist Sellout was awesome as well, it not only showed the behind the scenes of what was happening with Laura Jane, but it showed the whole development of the band Against Me!, which I loved.

message 7: by Blagica (new)

Blagica  | 12050 comments Added =)

message 8: by Brittany (last edited May 26, 2018 09:24AM) (new)

Brittany | 602 comments First of all, I had to check your challenge out as we share a name (even spelt the right way! :P)
Secondly good luck and looks like you have read some fascinating books I had never heard of.

How was Labyrinth Lost? I have it on my tbr.

message 9: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 404 comments Brittany wrote: "First of all, I had to check your challenge out as we share a name (even spelt the right way! :P)
Secondly good luck and looks like you have read some fascinating books I had never heard of.

How ..."

I loved labyrinth lost. The second in the series is called bruja born and it comes out next month. I already have it ordered.

message 10: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 404 comments I finished A Study in Scarlet today and it was my 50th book. Halfway to my goal!!

message 11: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Brittany wrote: "I finished A Study in Scarlet today and it was my 50th book. Halfway to my goal!!"

Nice going Brittany!

message 12: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 404 comments I just finished Lullabies for Little Criminals as my first book in July and my 62nd of the year and I am a little torn up about it. It was written really well and I couldn't stop reading it, but it seemed so realistic and its pretty tough thinking about a 13 year old going through everything the protagonist went through. Definitely a good read and I would give it 4.5 starts, but don't read it unless you know you can deal well with topics of child drug use, prostitution, and neglect.

message 13: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 404 comments I finished my 63rd book of the year These Broken Stars today. I couldn’t wait to find out what happened so I read through til the end this morning instead of sleeping after work which I’m sure I’ll regret tonight. It seemed like it had a pretty happy ending, and then I realized it was part of a series so I’m pretty intrigued by where the story could go from here.

message 14: by Brittany (last edited Jul 09, 2018 08:40PM) (new)

Brittany Morrison | 404 comments I finished Brides of Eden: A True Story Imagined this morning for my 64th book.

message 15: by Blagica (new)

Blagica  | 12050 comments Hoping July is full of page turning and falling in love with a new book!

message 16: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 404 comments I listened to the audiobook Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things on my way into work today and it was amazing. Probably my favorite book that I've read so far this year. #65 for the year.

message 17: by Roxanne (new)

Roxanne (radiantrox) | 115 comments You are making great progress!! My goal is to read 100 books as well but I have a lot of catching up to do lol.

I hope you're having a great reading month so far! Which is your fav read so far this year?

message 18: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 404 comments #66 was Unbreak My Heart. It was a cute little YA romance that only took me a day to finish. Sometimes I need to read cute short things in between longer, heavier stuff. I have it 3.5 stars.

message 19: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 404 comments #67 was Rebels, Volume 1: A Well-Regulated Militia. I gave it 3.5 stars. I really enjoyed the first half of the graphic novel and the story of Seth Abott's life, but the second have was a bunch of smaller stories with a ton of different characters. It felt like the two halves didn't belong together in one book.

message 20: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 404 comments #68 The Story of Doctor Dolittle:
I feel like I've been in a reading slump over the past week and a half or 2 weeks. It was good to read something short that I could finish in 1 sitting because it seems like I haven't been finishing books and have kind of given up on a few.

message 21: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 404 comments Why I Left Harry's All-Night Hamburgers is a short story, only 16 pages. I wouldn't normally count such a short read as one of my books for the year, but I used it in my Around the Year challenge so I'm counting it as #69. Pretty enjoyable quick little read 4.5 stars.

message 22: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 404 comments I finished listening to the audiobook for Everything Here Is Beautiful for my 70th book making my total for July 9. I really enjoyed this book and it gave a really nice insight on how mental illness effects not only the individuals but all those who love and care for them. The book did a lot of random switching from first to third POV which I didn't notice at first, but it really bothered me for some reason once I did. I would give the book 4.5/5 stars instead of 5 because of these weird POV changes.

message 23: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 404 comments #71 I finished Lime Gelatin and Other Monsters. I gave it 3.5/5 stars.

message 24: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 404 comments Finished Purple Daze this morning for #72. It was a pretty interesting little YA book that not only told the story from the six characters perspectives, but also added in little facts about the civil rights movement and Vietnam war.

message 25: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 404 comments #73 Debutantes: I gave this book 3 stars because it did a good job at describing the scene and getting you into the time, but there was supposed to be a mystery aspect. The mystery aspect was easily figured out in the first quarter of the book.

message 26: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 404 comments #74 The Mist: This was my first ever Stephen King. It was shorter and I finished it in a day. I don't know what I thought was going to be in the mist, but what was there was not what I was expecting. It had an open ended ending and I'm not 100% sure how I felt about that, but I would still give it 4.5/5 stars.

message 27: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 404 comments #75 The Agony of Bun O'Keefe: I'm 3/4 of the way to my goal of 100 with this one!!! This is the 2nd book I've read this year about homeless kids in Canada. They were both fictional, but now I'm starting to wonder if that's a legitimate problem or if it was just coincidence. While there were several difficult topics, this on had a much warmer feel in general then when I read Lullabies for Little Criminals.

message 28: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 404 comments #76 She Wore Red Trainers and #77 The Princess Diaries. I love YA, but I've been reading a ton of it lately for a challenge. I need to read an adult book soon.

message 29: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 404 comments #78 Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn. I had never read anything by the author, but ended up grabbing this book because of its cover showing it was an HBO mini series. I love reading books that are being made into movies or series then watching and comparing so it made me want to grab it. I'm glad I did because I loved the book and will definitely be reading Gillian Flynn's over works.

message 30: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 404 comments #79 #Notyourprincess: Voices of Native American Women. I needed to read an anthology which is not really my thing, so I chose this book because it was shorter. I enjoyed the pictures and art throughout the book, but it's really hard for me to get into short stories/essays/poems. Only 20 books left until I hit my goal of 100.

message 31: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 404 comments #80 One Came Home. I had more than one day off in a row and it is doing well for my reading this week.

message 32: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 404 comments I haven't been doing the best at filling in what I've been reading, but I just finished The Surgeon by Tess Gerritsen for my 88th book and I loved it. I'm usually really into fantasy type things, but I've been reading a lot of mysteries and thrillers lately. I started watching Rizzoli & Isles on hulu which lead me to this book and I'm very happy that I read it, it's a series I will definitely continue.

message 33: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 404 comments Ever since I finished my 100th book, which was my goal, I've been having trouble finishing a book. I was finally able to finish Matilda for my 101st book. I loved the movie when I was younger, but had never read the book. I loved it and I want to go back and read other Roald Dahl books because there were several funny bits in Matilda that I probably wouldn't have found as funny as a child and I am now curious if his other works are similar in that regard.

message 34: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 404 comments I don't normally count short books, especially children's ones, but The Lump of Coal is great. I really love Lemony Snicket and this was a great way to start to get into holiday mode.

message 35: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 404 comments I had been in a slump this past month and was having a hard time getting through an entire book, but I started Bruja Born last night and read right through. I loved Labyrinth Lost so I'm not sure why I let this book sit on my shelf for so long. YA fantasy has always been my thing, so I guess I just needed to get back to one of my favorite things.